Effect of start/stop on turbo?

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
those who don't mind the auto stop/start. ponder this. For instance. Lets say after 1 year of using the start/stop. you utilize that feature on average 4 times a day. So basically 4 stops. That is like turn off your truck and back on 1,460 extra times; just for one year. Sounds like a lot of stop starts. All that extra stress not only on the battery; but the starter. And engine components. Now that is just after 1 year. If its utilized 4 times a day. Use it in traffic? Or the city? then that number only gets higher. I'm sorry but I'd rather not have my truck turn off/on that many "extra" and unnecessary times for save a few $ on gas. It's a truck. It's basically insignificant. Not only this. But I wouldn't want to risk my truck not starting again if i'm in the middle of no where; or out of town. just my 2 cents.
Stress on the battery? The engine starts within a couple of cranks. Not much stress on the battery I think. Supposedly the starter was designed with start/stop technology in mind. I'm sure Ford Engineers designed the engine with auto start/stop capability in mind and have made whatever design changes/enhancements they needed to to ensure reliable operation. That said, Ford cares about CAFE which is why they incorporated auto start/stop and with some of the red light wait times taking what seems like forever it probably helps. But I think those of us in the boonies don't benefit much from this. I may turn it off in FORscan.......
Sponsored

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
Stress on the battery? The engine starts within a couple of cranks. Not much stress on the battery I think. Supposedly the starter was designed with start/stop technology in mind. I'm sure Ford Engineers designed the engine with auto start/stop capability in mind and have made whatever design changes/enhancements they needed to to ensure reliable operation. That said, Ford cares about CAFE which is why they incorporated auto start/stop and with some of the red light wait times taking what seems like forever it probably helps. But I think those of us in the boonies don't benefit much from this. I may turn it off in FORscan.......
I am not worried about the battery or starter or the ware on the engine, I got the additional warranty I will let Ford do the worrying

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
As to the turbo cooling if you are driving along the interstate and stop at a rest stop do you let it idle to cool down the turbo before you shut it off. People who drive diesel do. The reason is that the oil going thru the turbo stops flowing when the eng stops. The turbo is hot and the oil sitting in the turbo gets cooked. If you sit for five minutes and idle the flowing oil cools the turbo down.

Here is the scenario that I experienced with the start stop. I had arrived at a stoplight the light changed just as the auto stop was shutting down so the eng was not totally stopped when I accelerated, the starter hit the ring gear and made a little grinding noise. Not a nice sound, I dont want a lot of chips out of my ring gear or starter gears. I dont like the start stop at all and shut it off. The default on the start stop should have been off and the people who like it can turn it on.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
As to the turbo cooling if you are driving along the interstate and stop at a rest stop do you let it idle to cool down the turbo before you shut it off. People who drive diesel do. The reason is that the oil going thru the turbo stops flowing when the eng stops. The turbo is hot and the oil sitting in the turbo gets cooked. If you sit for five minutes and idle the flowing oil cools the turbo down.

Here is the scenario that I experienced with the start stop. I had arrived at a stoplight the light changed just as the auto stop was shutting down so the eng was not totally stopped when I accelerated, the starter hit the ring gear and made a little grinding noise. Not a nice sound, I dont want a lot of chips out of my ring gear or starter gears. I dont like the start stop at all and shut it off. The default on the start stop should have been off and the people who like it can turn it on.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.
If you like it and the tenths of more MPG you can keep it on. If now, it should be able to turn it completely off. I believe Audi has that set up.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It's pretty useless. If the vehicle is stopped for too long the engine will start itself.....I hit the button to turn it off on each startup. Takes about 2 seconds of my time. Not a huge deal. It's habit now,

I'm happy with the MPGs so it doesn't need to be on.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Like I said earlier (and people didn't read) there is coolant and quite possibly oil flowing while the engine is off. The ecoboost liquid cooled turbo's don't need any special cooldown period like older cars needed (no turbo timer, etc). In almost every case except heavy towing or drag strip runs I would be completely comfortable parking and shutting it down. My experience comes from a heavily flogged Focus ST which I put 100K+ miles on over 4~ years. It was running strong as ever when it got totaled by an Oldmobile.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Like I said earlier (and people didn't read) there is coolant and quite possibly oil flowing while the engine is off. The ecoboost liquid cooled turbo's don't need any special cooldown period like older cars needed (no turbo timer, etc). In almost every case except heavy towing or drag strip runs I would be completely comfortable parking and shutting it down. My experience comes from a heavily flogged Focus ST which I put 100K+ miles on over 4~ years. It was running strong as ever when it got totaled by an Oldmobile.
There's also a world of difference between a large old school turbo and a modern small displacement 4 cylinder unit. There's significantly less mass to retain heat on these.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
those who don't mind the auto stop/start. ponder this. For instance. Lets say after 1 year of using the start/stop. you utilize that feature on average 4 times a day. So basically 4 stops. That is like turn off your truck and back on 1,460 extra times; just for one year. Sounds like a lot of stop starts. All that extra stress not only on the battery; but the starter. And engine components. Now that is just after 1 year. If its utilized 4 times a day. Use it in traffic? Or the city? then that number only gets higher. I'm sorry but I'd rather not have my truck turn off/on that many "extra" and unnecessary times for save a few $ on gas. It's a truck. It's basically insignificant. Not only this. But I wouldn't want to risk my truck not starting again if i'm in the middle of no where; or out of town. just my 2 cents.
you don't think these items have been thought of by the engineers? The starter is not a standard starter, but spec'd to handle this feature.

Also, prolonged idling is far more destructive to an engine than starting when hot.

They did not slap on Auto Stop/Start onto a standard engine with no thought or design to the related hardware.

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
Bunch of friggin' back yard mechanics think they know better than the Ford engineers :crazy:

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The system also cycles coolant, and possibly oil when the engine is off (I think I read there is an electric coolant and oil pump). I can also hear liquid in the dash moving around when the truck is stopped at a light and off.
I'm 99% sure neither is true. The oil pump is driven from the counter balance shaft in the engine and when it's stopped there is no oil pressure. The water pump is belt driven from the engine as well.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm 99% sure neither is true. The oil pump is driven from the counter balance shaft in the engine and when it's stopped there is no oil pressure. The water pump is belt driven from the engine as well.
Coolant is still cycling...

From Wikipedia (I know, it's sometimes sketchy)

But you can hear coolant cycling when the engine shuts off, they have an electric pump in there. I thought I had read there was a supplemental electric oil pump, but it turns out that they just moved the mechanical one from point a to point b in order to reduce physical footprint.

Last edited:

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Coolant is still cycling...

From Wikipedia (I know, it's sometimes sketchy)

But you can hear coolant cycling when the engine shuts off, they have an electric pump in there. I thought I had read there was a supplemental electric oil pump, but it turns out that they just moved the mechanical one from point a to point b in order to reduce physical footprint.
Hmmm......I'll have to look for the electric water pump. Thanx.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm......I'll have to look for the electric water pump. Thanx.
I've not seen it, but I can hear water moving while the truck is on, and the Auto Start/Stop is active. There's a sound of running water behind the passenger side of the dash.
Sponsored