First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
If you have been on this forum long enough someone by now would have had an issue with this if it were a potential problem. I have seen just about everything but head gasket issues. All the way to “I think I threw a rod”
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So I was going through You Tube and found this video on the small Ecoboost engines. it talks about why coolant can and has gotten into cylinders 2 or 3>
Does our version of the 2.3 have this same design flaw? Or has anyone heard of this happening in the Ranger?

Thay was a problem for the 2.0 and smaller EcoBoost engines. I have seen quite a few of them in the 1.6(or a different size?) while working the dealers.

oldnslow

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I plan good periodic maintenance and no modifications, which will likely provide me with reliable performance for many years to come.
This seems like a good way to help any engine give good service.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
If you have been on this forum long enough someone by now would have had an issue with this if it were a potential problem. I have seen just about everything but head gasket issues. All the way to “I think I threw a rod”
OH YEA!!!

Let's bring back " I think I threw a rod '.

Best ever!

OP, Ford fixed this issue.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Isn't going to youtube to find problems with your vehicle like going to WebMD to diagnose a sneeze? ?

btsmith52

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger, 2016 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
There was a TSB for the 1.5, 1.6, and certain second gen 2.0 liter engines. Never saw a TSB for the 2.3. I have to assume it's not a significant issue.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I saw that and the subsequent redesign to fix the problem. But somewhere else I read that the culprit wasn't the slotted block, it was the gasket manufacturer botching the head gasket and sending the wrong one to the engine assembly plant. But that sounds like Ford trying to pass the buck to alleviate liability in current class action lawsuits.

Friday yet?

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
near perfection (4.9L-I 6)
Bullet proof. Always start. Never let you down. Just an amazing engine. Definition of reliability.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Bullet proof. Always start. Never let you down. Just an amazing engine. Definition of reliability.
My dad had that in his '83 F150. Didn't seem to have much HP, but made up for it with torque.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I saw that and the subsequent redesign to fix the problem. But somewhere else I read that the culprit wasn't the slotted block, it was the gasket manufacturer botching the head gasket and sending the wrong one to the engine assembly plant. But that sounds like Ford trying to pass the buck to alleviate liability in current class action lawsuits.
You’re confusing the small eco-boost coolant passage problem with the focus RS 2.3 engines that accidentally received mustang 2.3 head gaskets or whatever it was.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I thought we all agreed it has a low front end. :LOL:
Certainly not me, I still think that there should be a "on-road" version of the Ranger.
The "on-road" version should then be lowered at least a couple inches all the way around for access and egress to the cab and the box. Much better for daily use.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Certainly not me, I still think that there should be a "on-road" version of the Ranger.
The "on-road" version should then be lowered at least a couple inches all the way around for access and egress to the cab and the box. Much better for daily use.
There have been discussions on this. If I could have leveled my RWD but the lower the rear, I would have done that instead of raising the front 2". But we all know that the design of the rear suspension makes that really difficult.
So, IMO, the design flaw was with the rear suspension.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
There have been discussions on this. If I could have leveled my RWD but the lower the rear, I would have done that instead of raising the front 2". But we all know that the design of the rear suspension makes that really difficult.
So, IMO, the design flaw was with the rear suspension.
Every previous N/A midsized Ford Ranger was designed as a 2WD. It was then modified to be a 4WD. My 1992 was practically a sports car with a big trunk! The 4WD version was a solid truck but still a compromised adaptation.
The 5G is basically designed to be a 4WD... then just modified to be 2WD.
This is clearly the best 4WD Ranger ever built and more "truck" in any form than its predecessors .
But it is certainly a compromise for the street and for access.
"On road" handling on the 2WD 5G is solid but compromised. (Only marginally better than the 4WD.)
It is certainly no "sportscar" for sure.

Last edited:

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Every previous N/A midsized Ford Ranger was designed as a 2WD. It was then modified to be a 4WD. My 1992 was practically a sports car with a big trunk! The 4WD version was a solid truck but still a compromised adaptation.
The 5G is basically designed to be a 4WD... the 2WD is just modified to be 2WD.
This is clearly the best 4WD Ranger ever built and more "truck" in any form than its predecessors .
But it is certainly a compromise for the street and for access.
"On road" handling on the 2WD 5G is solid but compromised. (Only marginally better than the 4WD.)
It is certainly no "sportscar" for sure.
A 92 Ranger is a sports-car? Did you have a 79 Eldorado and call it a super-car?
Sponsored