First Name
al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger XLT
Occupation
Tech
Hello everyone, wanted some pointers and advice on a project I'm going to start doing with in the next month.

So I purchased the Lietner Rack and love it, and was thinking up purchasing a single pod and running a dual battery setup with solar support. My fear is the elements ? Any suggestions
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone, wanted some pointers and advice on a project I'm going to start doing with in the next month.

So I purchased the Lietner Rack and love it, and was thinking up purchasing a single pod and running a dual battery setup with solar support. My fear is the elements ? Any suggestions
Hi Al,

Okay...I am an old fart and have no clue what you mean. What is a Single Pod? A two wheel trailer? I think that the reason you have no responses yet is no one here has a clue either.... For you you need to be much more detailed. How would dual batteries be set up? Under the hood? Solar support...okay...nothing new about this on trailers or RVs but on a Ranger???

You need to be clearer. Some of your audience is clueless (me) on your post.

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
RangerAl87

RangerAl87

First Name
al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger XLT
Occupation
Tech
So essentially I would like to put 100ah lithium battery , dc to dc charger , fuse block inside. Pretty much all my components in this box that attached to the bad rack . My fear is the elements getting in and destroying the component.

Brett Fields

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4, Blackout, Tow
Occupation
Paramedic
Fwiw, here's what I did....
20220811_221301.jpg

4 awg cables run from up front coming through the factory opening.
I attached a ¾" plywood backer board to the side using riv nuts.
Anything sensitive is in a sealed box or component.
Inside the grey box are bus bars and a 60 amp breaker
I have two 100Ahr LiFePO4 batteries in those two boxes that sit in a removable tray.
That inverter is not protected, but I have a tonneau cover. Everything else would be weather resistant.
This was an old pick and I had not yet put all the boots on, and you don't yet see the 30 amp anderson connection points.
I made a DC extension cord also with anderson connectors and I run that into my tent so I can plug in my CPAP.
20220811_233803.jpg

I also run my fridge 24/7 regardless of my camping status.

Edit:
I used two 100AHr batteries cuz I already had them. If I was starting with nothing, I'd have used a single 200AHr battery. It would take up much less space.
I'm also toying with the idea of building a battery from raw cells, a BMS, and an Anderson bulkhead connector into a Ridgid tool box so that it will stack nicely with my other stuff. That would be the most efficient use of that limited space.

Last edited:

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
why.gif

OP
OP
RangerAl87

RangerAl87

First Name
al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger XLT
Occupation
Tech
So I'm able to run a fridge, lights and charge some devices. I don't want to worry about unhooking a battery every trip and charging it. Ideally I'm thinking of adding roof rack to hold solar panels . That's why lol

OP
OP
RangerAl87

RangerAl87

First Name
al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger XLT
Occupation
Tech
Fwiw, here's what I did....
20220811_221301.jpg

4 awg cables run from up front coming through the factory opening.
I attached a ¾" plywood backer board to the side using riv nuts.
Anything sensitive is in a sealed box or component.
Inside the grey box are bus bars and a 60 amp breaker
I have two 100Ahr LiFePO4 batteries in those two boxes that sit in a removable tray.
That inverter is not protected, but I have a tonneau cover. Everything else would be weather resistant.
This was an old pick and I had not yet put all the boots on, and you don't yet see the 30 amp anderson connection points.
I made a DC extension cord also with anderson connectors and I run that into my tent so I can plug in my CPAP.
20220811_233803.jpg

I also run my fridge 24/7 regardless of my camping status.

Edit:
I used two 100AHr batteries cuz I already had them. If I was starting with nothing, I'd have used a single 200AHr battery. It would take up much less space.
I'm also toying with the idea of building a battery from raw cells, a BMS, and an Anderson bulkhead connector into a Ridgid tool box so that it will stack nicely with my other stuff. That would be the most efficient use of that limited space.
Please keep us posted on that buildn if you go through with it.

Brett Fields

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4, Blackout, Tow
Occupation
Paramedic
Please keep us posted on that buildn if you go through with it.
It would be a while. I'm currently working on a relay box and switch bank for aux lighting.
20221104_192029.jpg

20221104_192245.jpg
Sponsored