Droning noise when letting off gas at highway speeds

tjanok

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
When going 70+ mph, shift into neutral. The noise doesn't happen. But I assume this is the equivalent of letting off the throttle. (In terms of the rear end). I honestly think it's the exhaust. I installed the Gibson system, and I don't hear it at all anymore. But the exhaust is a few decibels louder than stock at those speeds.
Sponsored

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
i apologize since i didnt read all the posts in the middle, but has anyone considered it to be the piped in engine sound through the speakers?
I had considered the piped in sound but honestly you can feel the vibration somewhere else in the truck, so not just a sound.

I'm leaning toward the theories around exhaust or turbo-related resonance. They seem to make the most sense.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Does the sound's pitch fall lower as you coast or does it stay at the same pitch?
I would guess rear axle lash if it falls in pitch, fuel pump if it remains steady,

tjanok

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Does the sound's pitch fall lower as you coast or does it stay at the same pitch?
I would guess rear axle lash if it falls in pitch, fuel pump if it remains steady,
It's the same pitch at the same duration, for me anyways. Like three short, quick pulses

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
My theory is it's a result of the 10 speed transmission and engine compression off throttle.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
My theory is it's a result of the 10 speed transmission and engine compression off throttle.
It's @tjanok's "three short, quick pulses" that has me baffled.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
So before the 'rona, I had my truck at the shop, and went over this with their tech. He didn't hear it until we took it for a drive together and pointed it out. We then drove one from the new car lot and we both were able to hear it, but very faintly, in that truck as well. Which has me believe it's something that either gets worse with time, or every truck has it, and it's just some are worse than others. In either case, it seems like every truck has it, but not every driver hears it.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So before the 'rona, I had my truck at the shop, and went over this with their tech. He didn't hear it until we took it for a drive together and pointed it out. We then drove one from the new car lot and we both were able to hear it, but very faintly, in that truck as well. Which has me believe it's something that either gets worse with time, or every truck has it, and it's just some are worse than others. In either case, it seems like every truck has it, but not every driver hears it.
Yep, seems like a normal function. It even happens using the adaptive cruise control. Mine will make the noise until I either touch the gas pedal or the speed drops below 70mph or so.

Gets annoying on longer highway trips but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Either that or dynamat the entire interior ?

cpayne333

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Hauler
So this started happening to me alot recently, at about 3000 miles I only heard it slightly at 70+ mph. Now at 4500 miles it's pretty loud now. I can hear it over the radio now. After reading everyone else's response to the same issue. I wonder if there will ever be a fix for this!?

cpayne333

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Hauler
Hi Shermy,

Sounds like the Blow Off valve.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
So I guess you being a retired Ford Engineer, do you think Ford will come up with a fix/solution for this? I love my Ranger but hate the sound so much lol

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So I guess you being a retired Ford Engineer, do you think Ford will come up with a fix/solution for this? I love my Ranger but hate the sound so much lol
Hi Chris,

The only way I could see this dropping on engineering's plate is for the Ford Customer Service flagging this as a chronic complaint with a significant number of complaints. Would not hurt to open up a formal complaint.

My Ranger does not have this noise so wonder if a warranty replacement of the BOV would help. I have no experience with aftermarket BOVs but I recall some are quiet and some are noisy, but may also be a solution. Dealer Warranty would be my option plan A. I am also curious if the engine cover on Lariat enters the equation as the BOV is not under the cover but the cover might block a sound path.

Good luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

cpayne333

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Hauler
Hi Chris,

The only way I could see this dropping on engineering's plate is for the Ford Customer Service flagging this as a chronic complaint with a significant number of complaints. Would not hurt to open up a formal complaint.

My Ranger does not have this noise so wonder if a warranty replacement of the BOV would help. I have no experience with aftermarket BOVs but I recall some are quiet and some are noisy, but may also be a solution. Dealer Warranty would be my option plan A. I am also curious if the engine cover on Lariat enters the equation as the BOV is not under the cover but the cover might block a sound path.

Good luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I have an XLT with the problem so... I definitely will file a complaint and hope others to do the same. Not doing it to be an ass but so we can get the issue resolved.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I have old Artillery ears and have not noticed this at all. I wonder if the frequencies produced are the same frequencies I hear when my wife starts asking me to do something.
i have midrange frequency hearing loss from snare drums and guitar and my wife's voice squeezes right in there. i think it's why we can put up with each other... she can drone on about nothing and I can't hear her. perfect match
Sponsored