First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
Has or does anyone else have a lot of play in the draftshaft at the midpoint (where it bolts to the truck). I've noticed the last couple weeks that Im getting a "bump" feeling when I leave from a stop... (felt like a bad motor mount) Today I got under my truck and at that mid point (Carrier bearing) and can wiggle almost 3/4" up and down... it not torn but there just seems like a lot of play Are your trucks like this as well? I can't imagine this is normal but I have added 2 1/2" in the front and 1" lift on the leaf springs and I wonder if that is enough to change the pinion angle enough to make this happen.

Going to be curious to see what people see on their trucks.

P.S. I have 13,000 mile on my 2021 Tremor.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Not really in a hurry to lay on my damp floor to check, but generally no, you don't want to see too much movement.

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
I also get the loose motor mount feeling when coming to a stop and starting. Haven’t checked anything yet.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
I didn’t think a slight level or lift affected the drivetrain. Where’s our resident experts?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Has or does anyone else have a lot of play in the draftshaft at the midpoint (where it bolts to the truck). I've noticed the last couple weeks that Im getting a "bump" feeling when I leave from a stop... (felt like a bad motor mount) Today I got under my truck and at that mid point (Carrier bearing) and can wiggle almost 3/4" up and down... it not torn but there just seems like a lot of play Are your trucks like this as well? I can't imagine this is normal but I have added 2 1/2" in the front and 1" lift on the leaf springs and I wonder if that is enough to change the pinion angle enough to make this happen.

Going to be curious to see what people see on their trucks.

P.S. I have 13,000 mile on my 2021 Tremor.
Hi Gordon,

Sounds like you need to take the truck to the dealer as the movement sounds excessive. You are also likely experiencing driveshaft spline stick/slip, which the dealer can relube the splines.

Best,
Phil

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
The rubber insulator around the carrier bearing is really soft the the Rangers. I had the same "bump" feeling until I greased the drive shaft spline. They come with a coating of dry lubricant that's blue from the factory but it's not very good. The F150's have the same issue.

IMG_20210827_160937063.jpg

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
CAD Design/Automotive Prototyping
Hi Gordon,

Sounds like you need to take the truck to the dealer as the movement sounds excessive. You are also likely experiencing driveshaft spline stick/slip, which the dealer can relube the splines.

Best,
Phil
Just had my 21 ranger in last week for a “bump” at stop/go. They told me it was the slip yoke sticking. Is this the same of what you’re describing? They told me Ford doesn’t sell the rubber boot and Ford requires the dealer to replace the driveshaft under warranty. A new driveshaft is ordered & should be in Mon/Tue. Seems crazy Ford wouldn’t just allow the dealer to just grease it.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just had my 21 ranger in last week for a “bump” at stop/go. They told me it was the slip yoke sticking. Is this the same of what you’re describing? They told me Ford doesn’t sell the rubber boot and Ford requires the dealer to replace the driveshaft under warranty. A new driveshaft is ordered & should be in Mon/Tue. Seems crazy Ford wouldn’t just allow the dealer to just grease it.
How many miles on your truck?

MikeyB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Mine has the same issue. Sometimes it does it, sometimes not. Only 3k miles on mine
I think one of these days, I'm going to get the boot/clamp kit, bring it to my buddy's shop and do it myself.
Question is if Ford is swapping out the driveshaft will the new one have the same issues?
Don't want to jinx anyone

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mine has the same issue. Sometimes it does it, sometimes not. Only 3k miles on mine
I think one of these days, I'm going to get the boot/clamp kit, bring it to my buddy's shop and do it myself.
Question is if Ford is swapping out the driveshaft will the new one have the same issues?
Don't want to jinx anyone
If yours & the rest are same as mine is , I’ve noticed mine only had the bump at stop/go when it was warmer than 65-70f outside. Cooler days this last month when it was 55-60f there was zero bump & days it was hot-90f the bump was VERY pronounced.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just over 25,000 miles on it.
Mine has that bump feeling in pedals sometimes at stop and go too. Only at 4400 miles on my 2021. It doesn’t really bother me much.

Is it a problem or just an annoyance?

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mine has that bump feeling in pedals sometimes at stop and go too. Only at 4400 miles on my 2021. It doesn’t really bother me much.

Is it a problem or just an annoyance?
I didn’t ask them what if I had ignored it but my guess is it would wear the splines down & I’d imagine cause an actual problem later on. My personal experience things don’t just go away & not cause more problems later on so I’d bring it to there attention but with only 4400 miles you don’t have to rush in. That’s just my guess based on zero knowledge of these parts lol

dapakattack

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
The rubber insulator around the carrier bearing is really soft the the Rangers. I had the same "bump" feeling until I greased the drive shaft spline. They come with a coating of dry lubricant that's blue from the factory but it's not very good. The F150's have the same issue.

IMG_20210827_160937063.jpg
Don,
Is there anything you'd recommended instead of the factory blue lubricant?