OP

Gavin stevens

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
So, In your professional opinion, what could cause this ?

1. Bent frame ?
2. Bad springs ?
3. Bad Leafs ?
4. something else ?

I can understand some differences in the manufacturing process that might lead to 1/8 to 1/4 inch variance, but beyond that I'd think something was wrong.. something improperly installed, something bent, what else could it be ?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So, In your professional opinion, what could cause this ?

1. Bent frame ?
2. Bad springs ?
3. Bad Leafs ?
4. something else ?

I can understand some differences in the manufacturing process that might lead to 1/8 to 1/4 inch variance, but beyond that I'd think something was wrong.. something improperly installed, something bent, what else could it be ?
Hi Gavin,

First is to get the measurements per procedures. Then I would have the dealer verify the parts for the truck are correct. It is possible you have a wrong spring for example. If parts check out, pull the springs on the front to ensure they are the same length..make sure that you keep track of right and left. if correct, is there a shimming procedure? Just a SWAG, but my guess is a wrong part is contributing to the problem.

Best,
Phil Schilke,
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Company Retired

OP
OP

Gavin stevens

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
Second dealership had the truck for 10 days.. they measured the frame in the body shop.

They said the frame is fine, so there is nothing to fix.. they won’t fix the lean.

D6FBAC9C-2800-4631-B348-BCD5D40D31B2.jpeg

OP
OP

Gavin stevens

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
I measured the distance from the leaf spring to the frame. Seems that’s the culprit..

Maybe they could replace or even swap the leaf springs?

409B67BB-73E9-4B9C-A87C-E0533E756067.jpeg

F1EC9EDE-FBFD-432E-B854-17E432B5035B.jpeg

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
I measured the distance from the leaf spring to the frame. Seems that’s the culprit..

Maybe they could replace or even swap the leaf springs?

409B67BB-73E9-4B9C-A87C-E0533E756067.jpeg

F1EC9EDE-FBFD-432E-B854-17E432B5035B.jpeg
You should be able to shim the low side between the spring and the rear

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Gavin,

I have a suggestion you might wish to use as a start on the diagnostics of the left rear suspension...Take a piece of kite string and wrap it around the front spring eye bolt at the front of both rear springs....Stretch the string taught around the rear shackle where the spring attaches...make sure you wrap each side the same....do not worry if the string is in the center of the bolt and do this with the vehicle on its wheels. Now measure from the top of the axle to the string on both sides. If the same, then the springs are both good...if there is a difference the one of the springs is likely at fault. Now if the measurement is the same, then you have to look at the front spring eye pivot brackets and the rear shackle brackets to see if there is a difference. This is really weird and I wish I could be there to help try to determine what is amiss.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Third gen Tacomas also have a lean like this,some put 1/2 inch shim in the leaf pack or if it is lifted usually the add a leaf kit will address the lean issue. At least your frame wasnt bent as mine was on my 1988 XLT Ranger. My dealer put 7/8 inch thick of large fender washers under the L/R bed mount which made the bed square with the truck but now the bumper was 7/8 inch off. My dealer wasnt too helpful so I took it a frame shop that my friends body shop dealt with. They straighten the frame and all was good until I towed my boat (5000lbs) and it went back to where it was. The only way to repair this was to restraighten the frame and add in a bolt in cross member and Ford was on board with that. Ford paid for it and it never bent again. There wasnt any lemon laws then and it wasnt Fords problem it was caused by the car carrier. Good luck with your repair, I think Ford should step up and fix this cause it is clearly out of the spec. Maybe make an appointment with the regional service rep and see what he says.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
I had a 2000 Ranger with a lean. Swapping the springs side to side did the trick, but a new truck ? Ugh...

OP
OP

Gavin stevens

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
I did the string test from the tops of the leaf bolts on both sides

39B7B705-A521-43D5-9D2B-549738675DFD.jpeg

A6BE1B07-A48E-4338-9963-B166EEAAD428.jpeg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Gavin,

This points to the spring being the problem as there is almost a Âľ" difference and your measurement takes the frame, brackets and tries out of the equation, assuming the pickup box is empty. .My guess is the left spring is the problem for some reason. It has to deflect more to handle the load .Hopefully you can convince the dealer to order and replace this left spring. It could be the right spring is incorrectly arched, but to me that is a stretch.. Do you agree with my conclusion?

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retierd

OP
OP

Gavin stevens

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
Yeah, shouldn’t I just replace them both? There some aftermarket one I can use? Or just go with ford... maybe I just got a bad spring.

You say the left spring is suspect, meaning the drivers side? The right rear spring is higher, pushing down the front right. So is it the left spring or the right spring that’s a problem?

And why after 24 days at dealerships do they not recognize this as a problem? Weird....

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Gavin

Left is driver's side The spring has to deflect more to support the load of that part of the vehicle...The right rear spring deflects much less and the weigh distribution difference right to left should not be so great as to create the bias you have. Is it possible you are missing a leaf on the left side vs. the right? I did not see a pix of the spring stack, but it would be the reason if the spring was misbuilt. As far as the right spring being higher, it pushed the left front down, not the right. This is called diagonal weight transfer..similar to wedge in a NASCAR chassis...more right side rear wedge. Make sense?

As far as springs, it would be wise to replace both springs...aftermarket or OEM upon your choice...If OEM...see if you can force the dealer to do it under warranty. Shop dealers and maybe you can find one willing to order new rear springs and change them out....really not all that big a job as you do not have to remove the rear axle...take the nuts off the U bolts...raise the body with spring attached...pull the front spring eye bolt and the rear Shackle bolts and the spring drops out...watch out for the brake line and the parking brake cable...pop in the new spring and let the frame down on the spring and pop in the U Bolts and go to the other side...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

dcgibs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 - 4x2 SuperCrew
I have a lean in mine too. I will try the string test and let you know what I show.

It is aggravating, once I noticed the lean....I ONLY notice the lean!