Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Installation - 2019 Ford Ranger

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Harry -- I bought a 2020 Ranger without the tow package. It has the trailer sensors and dash trailer programming and the console trailer selector button. I can't speak to all Ranger's being so equipped -- Just mine. I'm making an assumption here that all Rangers come so equipped - Reason .. .. All the bumpers come with the provision for a bumper ball to be mounted - As the bumper comes pre-drilled with a plastic plug covering. Also - The Rangers come equipped with a flat 4 trailer plug underneath the left side of the bumper. Just my view -- I could be wrong .. ..
Sponsored

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Harry -- I bought a 2020 Ranger without the tow package. It has the trailer sensors and dash trailer programming and the console trailer selector button. I can't speak to all Ranger's being so equipped -- Just mine. I'm making an assumption here that all Rangers come so equipped - Reason .. .. All the bumpers come with the provision for a bumper ball to be mounted - As the bumper comes pre-drilled with a plastic plug covering. Also - The Rangers come equipped with a flat 4 trailer plug underneath the left side of the bumper. Just my view -- I could be wrong .. ..
So, I bought mine with the Tow Package. I did not look or even consider not buying without the Tow package equipped. I considered that having that feature added to my purchase would cost me maybe $10 more a month. While I find that it was well worth the price, I am not belittling anyone for going after market. I just consider when making a large purchase, to make sure that it has everything I want installed. Again, it gives me a piece of mind and I do not have to worry if I heatshrinked the connections correctly, or if the splice was made correctly. Hey, I am not very mechanically inclined, and do not have the patience to install a wiring harness. But to each their own.

So when you hook up your trailer, does the sensors tell you that a trailer in on? I am interested in knowing that, because I am a techy in that way.

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Yup -- The vehicle knows when a trailer is connected. I also the 1st time connecting went into the dash settings and specified the length of the trailer. I also hit the console trailer button and get the dash trailer icon displayed which re-programs the transmission shifts points and there is no gear skipping - Hits every one. Just a note on the aftermarket wiring harness for the 7 pin RV plug. It comes all assembled. I only had to disconnect one rear factory plug and plug in the harness. It couldn't be easier as there is no cutting/splicing/soldering involved -- Just plug-n-play. I agree with ya -- I would have much preferred to by the factory tow package -- But in my case of the vehicles I had to select from in my State with the color/options I wanted -- This one fit the bill with the exception of the factory tow package.

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
So, I bought mine with the Tow Package. I did not look or even consider not buying without the Tow package equipped. I considered that having that feature added to my purchase would cost me maybe $10 more a month. While I find that it was well worth the price, I am not belittling anyone for going after market. I just consider when making a large purchase, to make sure that it has everything I want installed. Again, it gives me a piece of mind and I do not have to worry if I heatshrinked the connections correctly, or if the splice was made correctly. Hey, I am not very mechanically inclined, and do not have the patience to install a wiring harness. But to each their own.

So when you hook up your trailer, does the sensors tell you that a trailer in on? I am interested in knowing that, because I am a techy in that way.
Yup -- The vehicle knows when a trailer is connected. I also the 1st time connecting went into the dash settings and specified the length of the trailer. I also hit the console trailer button and get the dash trailer icon displayed which re-programs the transmission shifts points and there is no gear skipping - Hits every one. Just a note on the aftermarket wiring harness for the 7 pin RV plug. It comes all assembled. I only had to disconnect one rear factory plug and plug in the harness. It couldn't be easier as there is no cutting/splicing/soldering involved -- Just plug-n-play. I agree with ya -- I would have much preferred to by the factory tow package -- But in my case of the vehicles I had to select from in my State with the color/options I wanted -- This one fit the bill with the exception of the factory tow package.
I am correct in assuming you guys aren't using trailers with 4 way plugs when you get the options menu to display. Rental trailers I use with 4 way plugs (no brakes or surge equipped) don't make the option menu appear but lights function as needed. Not worried, just curious.

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
I have a 4 way wired into a 6 way for my car trailer so I can have lights (just no brakes) if I need to do something with it and it still recognized the trailer

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
My single axle trailer uses a flat 4 type of connector - But I don't use the factory installed flat 4 connector. I don't like where it is mounted and is more difficult to use. I also have an enclosed race car trailer and it uses the 7 pin RV plug - So I installed an aftermarket harness/plug assembly and use a 7 to 4 plugin adapter for the single axle. For a brake controller I use a wireless setup that isn't vehicle specific - Requires no vehicle wiring or equipment.

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 4 way wired into a 6 way for my car trailer so I can have lights (just no brakes) if I need to do something with it and it still recognized the trailer
Hmm wonder if this just doesn't happen on XL's that weren't factory tow pack 2... I see you have an XLT.

Atleast it is working, afterall it is a ford :crackup:

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Does any body who has this receiver remember how the packaging was? I just received mine at it was just throwing in an oversized box with zero bracing or foam protection. The powder coat is rubbed off in multiple locations because of it. There's no way I'm putting it on my truck like that.

I'm just wondering if Amazon sent me a previously opened box or if the packaging is really that poor from Draw-Tite. EDIT: The box has Draw-tite logos on it so I know its the proper box.

IMG_20200806_101918.jpg

IMG_20200806_100816.jpg

IMG_20200806_100821.jpg

IMG_20200806_100929.jpg

IMG_20200806_100935.jpg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Does any body who has this receiver remember how the packaging was? I just received mine at it was just throwing in an oversized box with zero bracing or foam protection. The powder coat is rubbed off in multiple locations because of it. There's no way I'm putting it on my truck like that.

I'm just wondering if Amazon sent me a previously opened box or if the packaging is really that poor from Draw-Tite. EDIT: The box has Draw-tite logos on it so I know its the proper box.

IMG_20200806_101918.jpg

IMG_20200806_100816.jpg

IMG_20200806_100821.jpg

IMG_20200806_100929.jpg

IMG_20200806_100935.jpg
Smart play on your part. Hitches take a lot of road rash abuse. The only thing rusted on our '02 Tacoma was the factory Toyota hitch.

snolds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport

IMG_20200806_101918.jpg
Just got mine this week as well and the packaging looked about the same. I only had the powder coat chipped off on one corner though. Hit it with a couple coats of black rustoleum before installing.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
I contacted Amazon and Draw-tite. Amazon said it was there fault and offered me 50% off or an exchange. I took the 50% off and hit it with some Rust-Oleum bed liner. I still say it was poor packaging from Draw-tite. I'm still waiting on their response.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I contacted Amazon and Draw-tite. Amazon said it was there fault and offered me 50% off or an exchange. I took the 50% off and hit it with some Rust-Oleum bed liner. I still say it was poor packaging from Draw-tite. I'm still waiting on their response.
Should have done the exchange. If you didn't prime the damaged area it'll be rusted in no time at all.. I used Rust-Oleum bed liner on the rear bumper hitch area on my Tacoma and had to repaint it every year, due to rust.

Undercoated Rear Bumper Step.jpg
GEDC3537.JPG

Bullet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat

IMG_20200806_101918.jpg

IMG_20200806_100816.jpg

IMG_20200806_100821.jpg

IMG_20200806_100929.jpg

IMG_20200806_100935.jpg
It looks like it was mounted, used, removed and sent back. I'd put money on that bet ;)

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
I bought mine as “used-very good” from Amazon for $86! It didn’t even ship in a box. Amazon literally slapped the UPS label on the tube.

But for $86 I’m not one to complain. It didn’t have any marks on it that made me think it had been previously installed.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
It looks like it was mounted, used, removed and sent back. I'd put money on that bet ;)
I don't think so. No witness marks from bolts and the shrink wrap was intact. Just poor packaging and poor handling
Sponsored