DQ: ACC Relocation Problems w/ Raptor Grille (adaptive cruise control)

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all

I need to move the ACC module to make room for my winch. I'm did as instructed and it's effectively unfunctional and I don't know what to do.

2021-03-05.jpg

2021-03-05 (1).jpg

2021-03-05 (3).jpg

The ACC unit is not happy. It does not maintain speed and distance anymore, keeps losing vehicles, keeps throwing errors telling me that it's not working, that it's obstructed, that collision control isn't working, the works. And then it just shuts off. Great, I think.

I read through the forums here and am told plastic shouldn't matter. Okay, then what else could it be?

I don't really know what I'm doing at this point. Nobody's complaining about this really - either folks moved it and are like "yep no problem" or folks are like "I don't like adaptive cruise and got rid of it" or some such.

I drill new mount points and center it all up. This wimpy piece of plastic is SUPER janky but it's no more janky than it was off on the side. I read how this device is extremely sensitive and this $230 bracket I bought is like, here's a really heavy bullet proof bracket, please mount it to this flimsy shitty piece of plastic like so.

'Kay.

2021-03-05 (2).jpg

This device isn't supposed to care about plastic, but metal will throw it off. The grille is plastic but I notice the back of the raptor grille has screws in the back. Alright, maybe these are the problem, so I remove them.

2021-03-05 (4).jpg

With the ACC centered and the metal screws in front removed, it is in fact performing better, but it's still off a good deal. I'm not getting errors anymore but it's still surging and braking when it shouldn't, dropping it's target... the whole bit. It's better, but it's still not better.

Is this a calibration issue, now it's moved 2 feet upwards?

I'm guessing the ACC module works by measuring backscatter. I'm guessing the sensor cluster in the windshield emits a beam and the ACC unit measures the backscatter from that beam. It's not IR, there's no range finder, and I don't *think* it's radar or lidar. Backscatter seems the most likely? (Someone please disabuse me of this notion with facts, I'm guessing here). Could all this just be the result of needing to calibrate the ACC module with the sensor cluster now that the ACC module has moved?

Any help, most appreciated.

--

PS - the wiring harness on this thing is insanely short. I had to cut it away from the bumper-sensor cluster and it's still only baaaarely long enough. Is there an after market harness extension? I'll manually extend it if I must but I'm really hoping it won't come to that.
Sponsored

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Yes, there is an acc recalibration that I think you can do with forscan. You’ll find it in one of the leveling threads where someone posted the ford procedure that comes with the frpp fox kit.

OP
OP
tehschkott

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, there is an acc recalibration that I think you can do with forscan. You’ll find it in one of the leveling threads where someone posted the ford procedure that comes with the frpp fox kit.
If ACC recalibration is in Forscan, I haven't found evidence of it. I don't think that's it.

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If ACC recalibration is in Forscan, I haven't found evidence of it. I don't think that's it.
I just looked, and there's no calibration steps. There is an on-demand self test procedure for the C-CM (Cruise Control Module). So you can probably run that and figure out what it wants you to do. It has to be level at the same angle that the original bracket kept it at, and it should be all good.

Washingtonwarrior

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
I used a 3 inch bolt with 2 1 inch spacers and i solved the raptor dilemma .

no go!! Goand spread the gospel!

EBE89C5F-07D3-494F-98EC-E646FD5E80E3.jpeg

92708F66-96E6-4B1E-A336-0D6274A42E67.jpeg

OP
OP
tehschkott

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
tehschkott

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
I used a 3 inch bolt with 2 1 inch spacers and i solved the raptor dilemma .

no go!! Goand spread the gospel!

EBE89C5F-07D3-494F-98EC-E646FD5E80E3.jpeg

92708F66-96E6-4B1E-A336-0D6274A42E67.jpeg
By the way, your fix works great. Thank you. I had a chance to do this yesrerday and made a couple small improvements (I think).

1. I left it centered. You have to clip off the plastic doodad that pokes inward from the front flashing to make room. It took 3 seconds and didn't negatively impact anything. Three swipes with a hacksaw and it came right off

2. I removed the lower center plastic linkage in the Raptor grille to provide unobstructed lateral view for the radar plate. The radar can see through plastic true, but different densities of plastic seem to make a difference, and it seems more sensitive to lateral changes than vertical ones which makes sense given it's use on roads.

20210404_172100.jpg

Thanks again for the tip. 3 inch bolts and 2 inch spacers is precisely the thing that worked. Much appreciated.

Washingtonwarrior

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
By the way, your fix works great. Thank you. I had a chance to do this yesrerday and made a couple small improvements (I think).

1. I left it centered. You have to clip off the plastic doodad that pokes inward from the front flashing to make room. It took 3 seconds and didn't negatively impact anything. Three swipes with a hacksaw and it came right off

2. I removed the lower center plastic linkage in the Raptor grille to provide unobstructed lateral view for the radar plate. The radar can see through plastic true, but different densities of plastic seem to make a difference, and it seems more sensitive to lateral changes than vertical ones which makes sense given it's use on roads.

20210404_172100.jpg

Thanks again for the tip. 3 inch bolts and 2 inch spacers is precisely the thing that worked. Much appreciated.
Yah man, no worries! We got through this together! Lol

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
What happens if we just don't care for the ACC functionality?

Do we just get the error every time we drive or only when the ACC is active? We can shut off the ACC and just make it plain regular cruise control in the in dash display.

Debating on not even adjusting mine or relocating mine if I grt a steel bumper but I dont know what will happen if I dont?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What happens if we just don't care for the ACC functionality?

Do we just get the error every time we drive or only when the ACC is active? We can shut off the ACC and just make it plain regular cruise control in the in dash display.

Debating on not even adjusting mine or relocating mine if I grt a steel bumper but I dont know what will happen if I dont?
Forscan can turn it off, I don't know what other side effects that would have though.

ZoneOne

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I'm in a similar situation with my ACC, but mounted on my ARB Summit bumper. Haven't found a solution yet.

OP
OP
tehschkott

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in a similar situation with my ACC, but mounted on my ARB Summit bumper. Haven't found a solution yet.
Keep me/us posted on what you get around to. Hell, I'm not opposed to bolting it externally if it'll do the job, especially with that ARB bumper which I continue to strongly mull.

Got any pics of it mounted up somewhere?

ZoneOne

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
So, it seems that removing the plastic shroud has worked. It's still behind the hex pattern plastic grill, but it may have been too much plastic covering the ACC module. It also could have been the insane amount of bugs on the road trip.

I've removed the plastic cover and haven't had any issues yet. Time will tell.

As for photos, I have some on the FB ranger forums or on my IG @texas_tradecraft.
Sponsored