Does anyone care what Scotty Kilmer thinks?

OP
OP
SFB

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I think what bothers me is how he will say a turbo direct injection is junk because it won’t last hundreds of thousands of miles like his old celica.

Not every person wants a car or will keep a car for that long. So making a blanket statement that a car like that is unreliable is just stupid.

It might not be reliable at 200k but if it lasts someone 100k or 150k before they sell it to get a new one then I’d say it serves them well, or maybe they lease and longevity is no issue.
Exactly, I typically do not keep cars much past 100k, I just don't want to deal with potential issues. Repairs are expensive so for me its easier to just pay a higher monthly fee and not worry about out of pocket costs. I know that is not very financially responsible but it works for me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SFB

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Scotty is an ok mechanic if you need advice or work done on a car from the 70s. He’s stuck in that era and hasn’t adapted, I can’t stand him. He knows absolutely nothing about modern cars and hates any form of new technology. He always contradicts himself while trashing a chevy or a ford, but will turn around and say toyota is super reliable and great for doing the exact same thing or defend them for cutting corners by being “simple and reliable.” Plus, his titles are all click bait now.
Case in point, the Toyota engines that had a bad design with oil rings! He said ya they burn a barrel a week but still run forever!!

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Why is a 4cyl Turbo Diesel ok, but a 4 cylinder Turbo DI gas a bad design? Scotty was trashing the 2.3 saying that a lot of people have problems in the Mustang? I get suckered in to a video of his but end up getting annoyed before its done. Its not always against a Ford, sometimes its click bate. Curious as to everyones opinion about either Scotty or DI Turbo, or just Turbo engines overall. Why are diesels considered better with a turbo! Other than compression ignition, principals are basically the same.
"Does anyone care what Scotty Kilmer thinks?" In a word, "no."

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
He probably just rambles to his family about car problems... maybe thats why he keeps having to move to new locations because his family can't stand his ass.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Scotty straddles the line between annoying and amusing. Some of his stuff is indeed a little click bait like. Which is just where Youtube likes him to be.

That said, He's not stupid, and makes a few good points here and there - Points people don't want to hear about cars they own. Thus he gets strong dislikes from a lot of folks.

I don't regullarly watch any of his videos, I just come across them. He's rarely outright wrong about anything, IMHO. he's just kind of a blow hard that oversates issues.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Scotty straddles the line between annoying and amusing. Some of his stuff is indeed a little click bait like. Which is just where Youtube likes him to be.

That said, He's not stupid, and makes a few good points here and there - Points people don't want to hear about cars they own. Thus he gets strong dislikes from a lot of folks.

I don't regullarly watch any of his videos, I just come across them. He's rarely outright wrong about anything, IMHO. he's just kind of a blow hard that oversates issues.
Hi Zaph,

We have a few of these on these Forums too....:rolleyes:

OP
OP
SFB

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Pretty much the same here, I don't regularly watch him, just enough to be annoying. Was curious what others thought. Didn't get much input on Diesel to Gas though.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy

I agree with the fact he does have some good points here and there, but I don’t dislike him for talking about cars i’ve owned, I dislike him because he makes videos that are like, “How to make your car’s AC ice cold by placing 3 pennies on top of the air intake and then apply electrical tape to the MAF sensor. Why pay a mechanic a bunch of money when you can do it yourself.”

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I agree with the fact he does have some good points here and there, but I don’t dislike him for talking about cars i’ve owned, I dislike him because he makes videos that are like, “How to make your car’s AC ice cold by placing 3 pennies on top of the air intake and then apply electrical tape to the MAF sensor. Why pay a mechanic a bunch of money when you can do it yourself.”
Maybe I haven't seen enough of his stuff.

Bomlodr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 SVO, 2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Most of what falls from his mouth is pure conjecture. He never provides facts to prop up his statements. But that's the beauty in what he's doing....he doesn't need to provide facts and people will flock to him. It's all about his opinion and 4 million+ people are validating this hammerhead and his channel. I would guess that people are only listening to what he has to say for two reasons...they see 4mil subs and think he must know what he's talking about and don't know that he's feeding them bullshit or they're entertained by watching 4mil subs get fed bullshit advice. IMO....he's a sideshow clown but then isn't YouTube filled with them? What's one more?

Phik

First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Why is a 4cyl Turbo Diesel ok, but a 4 cylinder Turbo DI gas a bad design? Scotty was trashing the 2.3 saying that a lot of people have problems in the Mustang? I get suckered in to a video of his but end up getting annoyed before its done. Its not always against a Ford, sometimes its click bate. Curious as to everyones opinion about either Scotty or DI Turbo, or just Turbo engines overall. Why are diesels considered better with a turbo! Other than compression ignition, principals are basically the same.
I like him, but ONLY as an entertainer. I do not take anything he says as actual advice.
I enjoy watching him get worked up and fly off the handle.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Looks like his Toyota fan boy days are over? I'll admit I only watched 2:00 of this before I couldn't stand it anymore. I'd rather listen to finger nails scratching down a chalkboard. ?