Does anyone care what Scotty Kilmer thinks?

OP
OP
SFB

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Dang at all the Scottie hate on here! I enjoy watching him and yes he tends to not care for new technology very much but that’s most older guys. His two favorite car companies are also my two favorite car companies, Ford and Toyota. His is one of the Highest subscriber count automotive YouTube channels. Plus he just moved to Clarksville Tennessee so that’s cool.
I am one of the older guys that does like tech. When you see how far engines have come from the 70's how can you not like what tech has done!
Sponsored

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Ya, I know, I deserve the harassment on that one. I realized later that I misspelled it, should have been bait not bate. I usually point out grammatical errors myself, I'm married to a school teacher so I get corrected.
lol then I'm sorry I reminded you of the home life ;]

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I liked the accurate comment for that video.

Cliff's Notes version of a Scotty video:

Toyota breaks: That's normal wear and tear.

Anything else breaks: This is junk you should've bought a Toyota.

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I think what bothers me is how he will say a turbo direct injection is junk because it won’t last hundreds of thousands of miles like his old celica.

Not every person wants a car or will keep a car for that long. So making a blanket statement that a car like that is unreliable is just stupid.

It might not be reliable at 200k but if it lasts someone 100k or 150k before they sell it to get a new one then I’d say it serves them well, or maybe they lease and longevity is no issue.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
After reading this thread I can see how his status on YouTube has happened. I refuse to click on any of his videos as that just puts money in his pocket and me a little more stupid!

04EF0E36-B255-4C40-AB75-3DD03BE282FE.gif
There's a few so called "news journalist" I use to follow on YouTube but not anymore. Their headlines were just like Scotties all click bait! You'd spend 25 minutes watching and scratching your head when done.

I have found for auto/truck related stuff the Aussies seem to have some really good videos out. They might not help much with engine or vehicle repairs over here but for comparison stuff like traction boards, compressors or jacks and stuff they really go into detail and are so much better than most others.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Speaking as someone who runs a growing YouTube channel: to me, Scotty more or less embodies all the things that are wrong with YouTube. His info is dubious at best, his titles/thumbnails are all just clickbait (sometimes don't even have anything to do with the video at all) and his delivery / shouty nature are grating and annoying. However, his style attracts and keeps eyeballs, so the platform pushes his content, and he has been rewarded extremely handsomely.

I don't fault the guy for leveraging the opportunity that YouTube presents - I'm certain he's done *EXTREMELY* well financially on YT, and more power to him for that.

But I personally find him impossible to watch.

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
...I don't fault the guy for leveraging the opportunity that YouTube presents - I'm certain he's done *EXTREMELY* well financially on YT, and more power to him for that...
A Google search said he could be worth as much as $10 million. :cool:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Ya, I know, I deserve the harassment on that one. I realized later that I misspelled it, should have been bait not bate. I usually point out grammatical errors myself, I'm married to a school teacher so I get corrected.
I've never seen it screwed up in that direction before--usually I read about "baited breath" ?

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
I watched a couple of his videos last year and thought I learned a few things. I subscribed and learned it was mostly clickbait and pissing and moaning. I unsubscribed and can't get his crap out of my youtube feed. Two seconds of info surrounded by ten minutes of shit.

jrbull

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Occupation
construction
Why is a 4cyl Turbo Diesel ok, but a 4 cylinder Turbo DI gas a bad design? Scotty was trashing the 2.3 saying that a lot of people have problems in the Mustang? I get suckered in to a video of his but end up getting annoyed before its done. Its not always against a Ford, sometimes its click bate. Curious as to everyones opinion about either Scotty or DI Turbo, or just Turbo engines overall. Why are diesels considered better with a turbo! Other than compression ignition, principals are basically the same.
love my ranger 2.3 with the ford performance tune is a beast

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
well hell, anyone could be worth as much as $10 million--the question is whether they actually are
True but you will have to take that up with Google as I just provided info. However, I wouldn't doubt that he is VERY well off considering the number of DAs we have in this country. :LOL: