Does anybody but me actually use the running boards?

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Since my truck went up a couple of inches it made a big difference in getting in and out of the truck to me. I'm 5 foot 8 getting in the truck without using a floorboard just causes me to scrape my ass across the front seat and bolsters.

I found a way using the floorboards to enter the truck to where my ass is higher than a seat and I could just plant myself in without seat drama. so the first time I've actually used running boards on the truck for what they're designed for. I use them to exit if I am dressed up so I don't get the strip of dirt on the back of my pant legs sliding out of the seat. , However, I rarely dress up so thats, not a problem

My wife needs them...5' 2" tall and before I had them I would have to lift her in...now that I think about it, I should get rid of the running boards, lifting her in was a lot of fun.

For shorter folks they seem to be a blessing but for me at 6' 1", I don't need them.

Jim
Sponsored

Truckee Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Supercrew 4 x 4; 2015 Nissan Murano; 2019 Honda CRF 250F; 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan;
Occupation
Construction Consultant
My wife really likes them, especially since there is a grab handle on the passenger side. I'm 6'-1" so not too difficult getting in, but I am always working to avoid getting the back of my dress pants dirty. When getting out I prefer to use them. I also use them when washing my truck and for knocking off snow - better than banging the heal of my boots on the rocker panel.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
My wife really likes them, especially since there is a grab handle on the passenger side. I'm 6'-1" so not too difficult getting in, but I am always working to avoid getting the back of my dress pants dirty. When getting out I prefer to use them. I also use them when washing my truck and for knocking off snow - better than banging the heal of my boots on the rocker panel.
Yeah, man, without the runners and the passenger-side grab handle, this truck would have been a much harder sell around my house....

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
I would use them every day. But, I tried the Ford ones and they are too close to the body to really help in my opinion especially if you wanted them for getting out. I'd go for some nerf/step types but I'm saving for the Roush CAI with tune (and 3 year warranty).

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I would use them every day. But, I tried the Ford ones and they are too close to the body to really help in my opinion especially if you wanted them for getting out. I'd go for some nerf/step types but I'm saving for the Roush CAI with tune (and 3 year warranty).

That is why I like the Ford ones. Being close to the body of the truck allows me to step over them. I do not need them when getting out of the truck and all that happens is when it is nasty out the back of my pants hits them and they get dirty with ones that stick out. With my Colorado I had ones that stuck out and I was always getting salt on the back of my pants all the time.

Only really need them when getting into the truck. I actually do not need them for me at all but she does.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Hi Tom,

I use them every time I get into the Ranger and I am 5' 11". Wife is 5' 2" and all upper body...very short legs...She must use them or no way she can climb up into the cab. Especially now that she has to lug a 5lb oxygen concentrator up with her...Sigh...:(

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, Have you heard of the portable: Inogen oxygen device? It is made locally and they claim it weighs 2.8 lbs. I see the TV ads here locally.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, Have you heard of the portable: Inogen oxygen device? It is made locally and they claim it weighs 2.8 lbs. I see the TV ads here locally.
Hi Chuck,

Thank you so much for your concern to make this recommendation. We may in the future get the lighter Inogen, but for now we deal with the G3.

We have the Inogen G3 for her mobility. It weighs 5lbs with the 4.7 hour battery and about 6 lbs with the 10 hour battery. She wears the Inogen with a backpack or a "purse". The problem is that at her age, 5lbs on her back is a burden.. The lighter one requires a more frequent battery change. The Inogen is also her backup if electricity fails. so the heavy 10 hour battery is a must...The home oxygen concentrator is the size of a 13 Gallon trash can... All I can say at this point is that Inogen is a God Send....Wonderful device...

Thanks for your concern...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Hi Chuck,

Thank you so much for your concern to make this recommendation. We may in the future get the lighter Inogen, but for now we deal with the G3.

We have the Inogen G3 for her mobility. It weighs 5lbs with the 4.7 hour battery and about 6 lbs with the 10 hour battery. She wears the Inogen with a backpack or a "purse". The problem is that at her age, 5lbs on her back is a burden.. The lighter one requires a more frequent battery change. The Inogen is also her backup if electricity fails. so the heavy 10 hour battery is a must...The home oxygen concentrator is the size of a 13 Gallon trash can... All I can say at this point is that Inogen is a God Send....Wonderful device...

Thanks for your concern...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
You’re welcome

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
YUP...tiny wife, small garage...better then falling into the other car.

REDWM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 F150, 77 MGB, 2023 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my Ranger without running boards with the idea of getting after market boards that were less expensive than the Ford running boards. I purchased Go Rhino boards which I easily installed myself using the supplied brackets and the factory holes in the frame. I'm 5'10" and use them to get in without having to slide across the seat. I stand on the board and plop my butt down on the seat. They did get sloppy when I drove through snow and slush so I ordered front and rear sets of "splash" guards from Weather Tech through my local Ford dealer that are no drill. I'm confident they will keep the stones, slush, snow and mud off the running boards so I won't have to get it all over my boots.

Truckee Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Supercrew 4 x 4; 2015 Nissan Murano; 2019 Honda CRF 250F; 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan;
Occupation
Construction Consultant
I bought my Ranger without running boards with the idea of getting after market boards that were less expensive than the Ford running boards. I purchased Go Rhino boards which I easily installed myself using the supplied brackets and the factory holes in the frame. I'm 5'10" and use them to get in without having to slide across the seat. I stand on the board and plop my butt down on the seat. They did get sloppy when I drove through snow and slush so I ordered front and rear sets of "splash" guards from Weather Tech through my local Ford dealer that are no drill. I'm confident they will keep the stones, slush, snow and mud off the running boards so I won't have to get it all over my boots.
I just finished installing the WeatherTech splash guards. They look nice and offer good protection. The rear ones go on in a few minutes but the fronts are more like two beers and a lot of time staring at the bottom of the truck <g>.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
..... I purchased Go Rhino boards which I easily installed myself using the supplied brackets and the factory holes in the frame. ......
Do your Go Rhino running boards attach to the floor of the truck... or the frame? The online video shows them attaching to the sheet metal truck floor.

Go to 2:33 on the video

The Long Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Supercab XLT 302a 18" PVD Chrome pkg., 15 Focus SE, 65 Falcon Futura Hardtop, 56 Chevy 3100 Shortbed, 05 Pontiac Vibe (700,000 miles), 93 Nissan King Cab, 05 Sebring Limited convertible (Joyride), 17 American Landmaster 450E, wife has some kind of Cadillac
Occupation
HotShot ......no, really
Vehicle Showcase

Gone Blue

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT 4X4 Ingot Silver
Do your Go Rhino running boards attach to the floor of the truck... or the frame? The online video shows them attaching to the sheet metal truck floor.

Go to 2:33 on the video

I am almost positive these boards attach to the factory side step nuts that are in the rocker inner panel. I just ordered a set of Go Rhino RB10's and I can confirm once i get them. FYI, www.AutoAnything.com has the RB10 boards for $343. $111 off of retail pricing. G.B.
Sponsored