Does anybody but me actually use the running boards?

Deleted member 1634

I don't currently have them, but plan on getting a set. So obviously both my wife and I are fine getting in the truck without them. But I want to get them for a) protecting the rocker panels a little bit better from rocks and flying debris from the tires, b) helping the dogs jump in when they're tired after a long hike and/or get older, and c) help us better reach up to the roof to attach the kayaks.

Waiting until spring to get a set and install, since it's winter now and all the reasons listed above aren't happening as much or at all. Plus I'm not too keen on installing them myself in the cold and snow.
Sponsored

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
On a bad knee day, my wife almost all the time.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
My wife was pissed when she found out that I didnt order running boards. I ordered them thru Ford accessories for hundreds less and installed them in 10 minutes. Three bolts on each side.

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCrew Ranger XLT, FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow PKG, Chrome Appearance PKG, Technology PKG
Occupation
Cyber Junk
My truck was equipped from the factory with the chrome package, they were something like $800 or something crazy. I use them every time in and out after having a TACO that didn't have them wore my seat in a non uniform way that made it just uncomfortable sliding in and out. So for seat preservation I use them.

I would have to say for that much money, they were not engineered very well. They don't stand out very far and are slippery. Also FORD, why are the running boards Chrome? I bought the truck for the FX4 and Tech package. The only one on the lot that met my requirements had all of the other stuff that makes the truck pretty. So I drive the pretty truck. I can't make it into the grocery store without someone stopping me, asking about it.

Last edited:

jubreunig

First Name
Juergen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking for the chrome ones and can get it for 600 brand new from a ford dealer :crazy:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My truck was equipped from the factory with the chrome package, they were something like $800 or something crazy. I use them every time in and out after having a TACO that didn't have them wore my seat in a non uniform way that made it just uncomfortable sliding in and out. So for seat preservation I use them.

I would have to say for that much money, they were not engineered very well. They don't stand out very far and are slippery. Also FORD, why are the running boards Chrome? I bought the truck for the FX4 and Tech package. The only one on the lot that met my requirements had all of the other stuff that makes the truck pretty. So I drive the pretty truck. I can't make it into the grocery store without someone stopping me, asking about it.
Hi Seth,

When we did stepbars on the Ranger Edge, we were required to tuck them such a person could not have their foot slip through the backside and then snap their ankle. I cannot say if this was the thought with the 5G Ranger, but speculate it is likely the same thinking.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I use them to exit if I am dressed up so I don't get the strip of dirt on the back of my pant legs, However, I never dress up so thats not a worry

Exactly. Try to save the bolsters and the left part of the seat from undue extra wear. I saw a C7 Corvette owner slide into his car and I noticed that the bolster on the left side was flopping around. I don't expect that to happen to the Ranger, the sliding in and sliding out can't be good for the seats

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
I'm 5'10", use them to pull myself in to the truck also. I do not want to rip the seats if I can help it.

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I use them every day. When I went for a test drive at the dealership, I stepped out like I was in the old Nissan (muscle memory after 140,000 miles of driving) & damn near fell flat on my face due to the height. Glad they were installed already when we bought the "used" truck with 400 miles showing. If it gets lifted a few inches in the front, it will be even taller.

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
I did not include running boards when I ordered my Ranger - thought that it was low enough that they weren't needed. But after I received it, my wife insisted I put some one. Have to say, I'm glad she did. Although they're not as necessary as on a full size pickup, they are very convenient. So Yes, I use them everytime I get in and out of my Ranger.

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
5'7 and I use the boards to get in, usually just jump out. My 90 year old 5' nothing mother uses the boards and has no trouble getting in plus she uses the grab handle for assistance. If I was ordering a new truck, I would not get the boards but go with an aftermarket item because of the quality. Mine have rock chips on the support arms and Ford says that is normal but I can tell you my Westins on my old truck never chipped. That is my only beef with this truck.

AuburnRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightning Blue Lariat FX4
I have a set of Go Rhino RB20 steps I just installed on my XLT with the Fox Suspension. I’m 5’11” and can get in easy without them but I use them to keep from wearing my seat out. It allows me to stand up and sit down into the seat rather than slide up and in. Also my kids love them. I also like that they hide the pinch weld and sit tucked close to the body.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm, 6' so I don't need them, but I went with 3" nerf steps, textured in black, for the little people in my life. These mount close to the body so that they don't appear like diving platforms, and they have steps that allow for assist with egress and ingress for the shorties. They also provide a measure of protection against door dings. Would you believe they were only $130.00?
IMG_2501.JPG