Does anybody but me actually use the running boards?

Shadow199

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I'm 6ft 3in and took the running boards off my Ranger. For me it's easier to get in and out without them. When they were on I just used it to get in but didn't like that my leg scraped the edge when getting out. Plus when they are wet or muddy I almost slip when getting in.
Sponsored

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
For me everything is at an awkward height no matter how I choose to exit or enter. Stepping on the running boards makes me too high and I have to stoop way over. Trying to sit right in without them means shimmying my butt onto the seat and then sliding over.

It's kind of funny but I've had my truck for a month and I'm undecided on the best way to enter it. I've also tried lowering my seat so that it's easier to slide in, but then I don't like sitting that low in the truck.

I'm 5'-11" btw.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I'm six-foot three, but we put the runners on for my petite wife, who is four-foot eleven. She needed them even before we levelled the truck (with the Ford/Fox Two-inch Leveling Kit) and even more so now. I obviously do not need them to get in the truck either before or after levelling, but since they are there, I use them to get in so that I do not slide into the seat from the outward side every time, as the unevenly applied pressure of my c. 185 pounds would wear the seat unevenly over the years. So here is what I do: first, right foot up on the running board, then left foot follows; next, weight goes on left foot as the right foot (and the rest of the body) swings over the seat and plunks down in the middle. It took me a couple of months to get this right, but now I find it to be the best way to get in, both for me and the seat. As for getting down, I just swivel the legs out from the sitting position and go down, both legs at once, avoiding the runner entirely.

Bud

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL supper cab 2019 Volt 99 XK8 Jaguar
Occupation
Sailor
Since my truck went up a couple of inches it made a big difference in getting in and out of the truck to me. I'm 5 foot 8 getting in the truck without using a floorboard just causes me to scrape my ass across the front seat and bolsters.

I found a way using the floorboards to enter the truck to where my ass is higher than a seat and I could just plant myself in without seat drama. so the first time I've actually used running boards on the truck for what they're designed for. I use them to exit if I am dressed up so I don't get the strip of dirt on the back of my pant legs sliding out of the seat. , However, I rarely dress up so thats, not a problem
Years ago I had a chiropractor tell me I should back into the car seat. He said going in head first you have to pivot and that puts a lot of pressure on your hip. Kinda made sense to me so I have been doing that ever since. I am 6' 2" but couldn't back into the truck, my legs weren't long enough . I added the running boards so my wife could get in, but since I have them I use them to. I step on the running board, turn and back in.

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
More use the running boards than I expected actually.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
I use mine. It helps to keep wear and tear off the leather from me getting in and sliding across. They allow me to plop straight down.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I'm, 6' so I don't need them, but I went with 3" nerf steps, textured in black, for the little people in my life. These mount close to the body so that they don't appear like diving platforms, and they have steps that allow for assist with egress and ingress for the shorties. They also provide a measure of protection against door dings. Would you believe they were only $130.00?
IMG_2501.JPG
I already have a few small door dings that can probably be removed with PDR. I know this sounds like a "first-world problem", but I've been thinking that might push me over the edge to get running boards which will also help make with ingress and egress a bit more comfortable, even though it's not too bad as it is.

Rmblaster

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Im waiting for AMP to come out with power running boards just like i had on my F150

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I already have a few small door dings that can probably be removed with PDR. I know this sounds like a "first-world problem", but I've been thinking that might push me over the edge to get running boards which will also help make with ingress and egress a bit more comfortable, even though it's not too bad as it is.
In installed these and they work. My wife's CRV door hits the floorBoards first with1/4" to spare,

I decided this would be the best protection and they don't look bad to me. They are on inch higher in the back just like the rake of the truck, THey have all the colors including Platinum White which match perfectly

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NS9CFWP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20191214_132949 (1).jpg

Garnet

First Name
Garnet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I have been waiting for power boards to come out. They are supposed to be in production around the end of the month.

3791eidde

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I only use them to wash the roof of the truck. My wife is 5 foot tall. It was a must to get them with our truck.

Dredgerie

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Ranger Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know if you can use the running boards as skid plates when you’re off-road? My running boards came with the vehicle, but I tend to be off-road as much as on...

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I'm six-foot three, but we put the runners on for my petite wife, who is four-foot eleven. She needed them even before we levelled the truck (with the Ford/Fox Two-inch Leveling Kit) and even more so now. I obviously do not need them to get in the truck either before or after levelling, but since they are there, I use them to get in so that I do not slide into the seat from the outward side every time, as the unevenly applied pressure of my c. 185 pounds would wear the seat unevenly over the years. So here is what I do: first, right foot up on the running board, then left foot follows; next, weight goes on left foot as the right foot (and the rest of the body) swings over the seat and plunks down in the middle. It took me a couple of months to get this right, but now I find it to be the best way to get in, both for me and the seat. As for getting down, I just swivel the legs out from the sitting position and go down, both legs at once, avoiding the runner entirely.
Hey I tried this for getting in and it worked for me. Both feet on the running board, butt in first right in the middle without sliding. Right leg follows the butt in.

I still put the left foot on the running board getting out though. Must be because I'm shorter.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Does anyone know if you can use the running boards as skid plates when you’re off-road? My running boards came with the vehicle, but I tend to be off-road as much as on...
No, not running boards. Most of them bolt to the floor of the cab.

The exception are designs such as Shrockworks Rock Sliders with the optional dimpled tread plates. They bolt to the frame like regular "sliders" but are angled out enough to give room for a step also..

https://www.shrockworks.com/FRAN5-Sliders-pr-16300.html

Shrockworks Rock Sliders 005.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: