Do the TPMS Sensors need to be re-trained during tire rotation?

Mach-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Rotated my tires last weekend. Didn't worry about resetting TPMS because there's not anything about it or a reset procedure in the owner's manual. Asked my mechanic about it too. He says they self-locate, no need to reset.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
What I am understanding is if a set of wheels with TPMS sensors are rotated, their I.D. Numbers are stored and can re-set their relative positions, but if another set of wheels with different I.D. Numbers are put on, Ford’s procedure (Airing Down or Sensor Tool) are required.

Edit: Since posting this, I have installed a new set of wheels with a different set of OEM Ford TPMS sensors and within a few miles the new sensors were registering correctly with no need for using the sensor tool.

Last edited:

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
I did my first tire rotation this weekend. All other times have been at the dealer.

I bought a fifth matching wheel and tire to have as a spare and include in the rotation. PSI was set to 40 before the rotation. I moved the front right to the rear left, front left to spare, spare to rear right, rear right to front left, and rear left to front right.

I took the spare to the dealership and had them install the TPMS and was told I would have to come back for them to program. I attempted the manual retrain process and the spare I installed to the rear right would not trigger the horn. But, after setting them all to 35 PSI per the door sticker the dash display matched the PSI. I haven't removed any air to verify the system is tracking the location of each sensor, but definitely will this weekend.

4g63det

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 501A
Occupation
Electrician
I did my first tire rotation this weekend. All other times have been at the dealer.

I bought a fifth matching wheel and tire to have as a spare and include in the rotation. PSI was set to 40 before the rotation. I moved the front right to the rear left, front left to spare, spare to rear right, rear right to front left, and rear left to front right.

I took the spare to the dealership and had them install the TPMS and was told I would have to come back for them to program. I attempted the manual retrain process and the spare I installed to the rear right would not trigger the horn. But, after setting them all to 35 PSI per the door sticker the dash display matched the PSI. I haven't removed any air to verify the system is tracking the location of each sensor, but definitely will this weekend.
I put 4 OEM sensors on aftermarket wheels with new tires and never had to train anything. TPMS were picked up automatically.

Reactions: EJH

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Can we end this discussion? the servicer manual is pretty clear.
whatever witchcraft and sorcery some of you think is happening, is not supported by the documentation. they do not retrain themselves to a new location, although they may still show a pressure.

1601399128733.png

1601399556421.png
Regardless of what you think the manual says, it is simple to prove that the Ranger detects the position of each sensor on its own, and recognizes new sensors (for a second set of wheels) without any tools or special procedure.

There is a disconnect here between what the manual says, how the manual is being interpreted, and how the truck behaves when relocating or replacing sensors. Perhaps the manual we are looking at here is outdated. Perhaps early-production or pre-production Rangers had a less-capable system that (thankfully) was upgraded without making last-minute manual changes. I don’t have those answers, but I can easily prove that the system in my truck does not work the way the attached manual excerpts describe.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Regardless of what you think the manual says, it is simple to prove that the Ranger detects the position of each sensor on its own, and recognizes new sensors (for a second set of wheels) without any tools or special procedure.

There is a disconnect here between what the manual says, how the manual is being interpreted, and how the truck behaves when relocating or replacing sensors. Perhaps the manual we are looking at here is outdated. Perhaps early-production or pre-production Rangers had a less-capable system that (thankfully) was upgraded without making last-minute manual changes. I don’t have those answers, but I can easily prove that the system in my truck does not work the way the attached manual excerpts describe.
My experience exactly...I replaced my wheels/tires with a new set of TPMS and the sensors have always worked and know where they are after every rotation...

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
1) There is a central tpms receiver that picks up all 4 sensors. The receiver doesn't care where the tpms sensor is but it has to be told which corner or wheel the sensor is at. Hence the reset or relearn.
2) If you don't reset/relearn/retrain/teach the tpms system it will continue work properly as far as pressure is concerned BUT when the light goes off for a specific tire it may be in the wrong location because you rotated it. (talking about if light comes up on dash and says right front but its actually rear left etc) Not a huge deal, which is why everyone says no need to relearn.

See Post #56 below

I ran into this problem working with a f350 superduty we had bought used. The placard says 60psi front and 80 psi rear. Which is way too high unless fully loaded. So we were messing around with tire pressures and found it weird that one of the fronts we could run it to about 35psi before the light but the other front would trip at 48-50ish. Then we looked at the dash and the 48ish one said "rear left tire low" even though it was on the front (vehicle was currently being driven and lights were off, in case anybody is wondering). We then relearned via owners manual, and everything behaved as normal. We have since changed the tpms trigger in forscan but thats a different topic.

Hope that helps. Page 302-304 in your owners manual outlines how to reset the tpms (June 2019 Fourth Printing, page # may vary)

Last edited:

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I now have a downloaded copy of both the 2019 and 2020 Owner's Manuals. The 2019 manual contains a TPMS Reset Procedure spanning three pages, and the 2020 version has nothing.

So, we know that the manuals are different. It's possible that there was a fundamental change in the TPMS System between 2019 and 2020.

I know this of the 2020. The TPMS System is aware of the locations of each sensor, and it seems impossible that the system could have a single central receiver. There has to be a sensor near each wheel (perhaps build into the ABS module) that can identify the sensor at that location. I know, from experimentation, that the sensor at the left front wheel can "see" a sensor located in the spare tire carrier, and that it can also discriminate (likely from signal strength, the spare tire sensor going to sleep, or both) between the two sensors.

Until we know better, it seems best to identify the model year when discussing TPMS, and stop insisting that one procedure or the other is required or even works for all Rangers.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I now have a downloaded copy of both the 2019 and 2020 Owner's Manuals. The 2019 manual contains a TPMS Reset Procedure spanning three pages, and the 2020 version has nothing.

So, we know that the manuals are different. It's possible that there was a fundamental change in the TPMS System between 2019 and 2020.

I know this of the 2020. The TPMS System is aware of the locations of each sensor, and it seems impossible that the system could have a single central receiver. There has to be a sensor near each wheel (perhaps build into the ABS module) that can identify the sensor at that location. I know, from experimentation, that the sensor at the left front wheel can "see" a sensor located in the spare tire carrier, and that it can also discriminate (likely from signal strength, the spare tire sensor going to sleep, or both) between the two sensors.

Until we know better, it seems best to identify the model year when discussing TPMS, and stop insisting that one procedure or the other is required or even works for all Rangers.
Its aware of the locations because its told where they are via reset procedure. Tpms hasn't changed since 2008.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Taykel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Self Employed
So this has to be done ever time u rotate ur tires. Why doesn’t Ford do it for u ?
Sponsored