First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
Update, we've have unseanably cold weather here, got the AT3 4S up to ski hill where it was near -10C (~15F). Not glare ice, and road was pretty well sanded in most places but def some slippery bits and the tires did not give me any sense of discomfort at all. Highway travel on mixed asphalt with sections of snow and freezing were fine as well in 2H. Even drove into a bank to see how easy it was to get out, which was "ridiculously easy". (I had no worries about snow really, my concern is always ice and mixed surfaces.) Still loss of traction on bumpy washboard surfaces but i was seeing that above 0, it's just the nature of the beast, see post below re: 4WD trucks vs AWD cars.. anyway these seem like they could be a good responsible option.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/trucks-are-sketchy.9529/page-4#post-177755
Sponsored

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
My two Canadian pesos, my previous vehicle (2011 Scion xD) I put blizzaks on it and loved the handling. This last winter in Onterrible wasn’t too bad, and my first in the Ranger, I only had 1 little squirrly moment and that was up in the Bruce Peninsula. Recovered well etc... have the ATM Hankooks. I will probably get winters though as I do a fair amount of driving and I am just used to it. What my question is, should I get the same size snow tire or go bigger or smaller?

also, snow mode works pretty good for me.

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software
My two Canadian pesos, my previous vehicle (2011 Scion xD) I put blizzaks on it and loved the handling. This last winter in Onterrible wasn’t too bad, and my first in the Ranger, I only had 1 little squirrly moment and that was up in the Bruce Peninsula. Recovered well etc... have the ATM Hankooks. I will probably get winters though as I do a fair amount of driving and I am just used to it. What my question is, should I get the same size snow tire or go bigger or smaller?

also, snow mode works pretty good for me.
As mentioned above I elected to go with a gamble on finding a tire that worked all seasons and it turned out to be a winner -- the Coopers. I have the Hankooks almost new sitting in my garage and not planning to put them back on - look for them on kijiji. ;) I went as far up size as I could while staying with same wheels and within manufacturer spec which wasn't much.

If you have separates then I assume you will be mounting them on separate wheels in which case generally you want smaller wheel diameter, standard tire diameter and perhaps skinnier profile.

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
As mentioned above I elected to go with a gamble on finding a tire that worked all seasons and it turned out to be a winner -- the Coopers. I have the Hankooks almost new sitting in my garage and not planning to put them back on - look for them on kijiji. ;) I went as far up size as I could while staying with same wheels and within manufacturer spec which wasn't much.

If you have separates then I assume you will be mounting them on separate wheels in which case generally you want smaller wheel diameter, standard tire diameter and perhaps skinnier profile.
thanks for the tip, on my Scion the winters were actually larger in all ways and handled great. My train of thought was more surface area = better weight distribution = more friction surface but I can see a case for smaller too, more weight in smaller area opposed to weight spread out.

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software
thanks for the tip, on my Scion the winters were actually larger in all ways and handled great. My train of thought was more surface area = better weight distribution = more friction surface but I can see a case for smaller too, more weight in smaller area opposed to weight spread out.
I think the advantage of skinnier tires is that in deep snow you actually want to get the power down into the snow so that it is pushed around the tires and you plow through the snow rather than under them so you're floating on top of the snow without traction if that makes sense. And since the weight is longitudinal -- if you think about it there is generally the same surface area, it's just distributed differently; it's tire pressure that makes the difference in terms of contact patch -- it gives you more traction for accelerating and stopping, vs the more lateral grip that wider tires give you. But honestly relative to other traction issues it's probably a fairly minor effect.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
A yr & a half since the last post....
Did MTL/Ottawa yesterday, many in ditch, truck was squirmy, I did not like.
From 265/65-17 to 255/70-16, Goodyear Ultragrip Ice.
I have no confidence in the Hankook Dyna ATMs.

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
It's been just over a year since I got my Ranger. The dealership was trying to sell me on this "tire & rim" package, where I could get them replaced up to 10 times. I countered that I'd rather talk about winter tires and rims that I definitely WOULD need, rather than a package that I MIGHT need. In the end, I bought the winter set, and they threw in the other package anyway.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
We've had extra rims with snow tires on them for the past 25 years for all our auto's. Don't over think it, get some if you drive on snow or ice. We reside on this street this is a spring photo so the road is melting off.....
Ya, we do see some snow here. :crazy:
streetsnow340.jpg

Last edited:

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Agreed. You may not "need" snow tires to drive, but in those conditions that Arly shows, they are way safer. I'm in eastern NC and like to visit the mountains at times, I have snow tires for the RS, but they were a factory option, and I originally only got them to I had a 18" RS wheel for daily tires, but found I really liked the snow tires when we did get a rare snowstorm here the first winter I had the RS.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Human
So, snow storm yesterday, wife is very happy!
I told her I did not get TPMS, so the yellow light will come on.
She went to work & back, 20 mins each way & no TPMS light?
Book says 3 km of driving? I think dealer added them by mistake?
I'm cool with their Xmas gift or how long before the truck knows it has none?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
So, snow storm yesterday, wife is very happy!
I told her I did not get TPMS, so the yellow light will come on.
She went to work & back, 20 mins each way & no TPMS light?
Book says 3 km of driving? I think dealer added them by mistake?
I'm cool with their Xmas gift or how long before the truck knows it has none?
If they swapped winter tires for your summer tires onto your existing rims, the sensors would have stayed in place on your rims.

Did you get new rims for winter or just swap tires?

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Human
If they swapped winter tires for your summer tires onto your existing rims, the sensors would have stayed in place on your rims.

Did you get new rims for winter or just swap tires?
@DukeCanBuildit

New rims too. Went from 17" to 16", guess u missed that.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Human
As seen at Courtney Lake in the UP of MI today. Yes those are snow tires on it.
P1130907.jpg
@Arly

Nice truck!

I go skijoring. It's fun but my husky is a dud. She has no clue how to pull.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
@DukeCanBuildit

New rims too. Went from 17" to 16", guess u missed that.
I just looked further back and saw that earlier part of the thread. I think you might have received an early Christmas present. ?

Check your centre display (Driver Assist —> Tire Pressure) and see if the 4 tire pressures show on the screen. If so, you might be the first person to ever get such a great deal. ?
Sponsored