First Name
PL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 BMW X1, 2018 VW GTI, 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
International Trade
Good afternoon I just joined this Forum!

I am planning on getting a 2020 Ranger Lariat with the FX4 off road package.
Woudl I need to put Winter/snow tires for our canadian winter ? I live in Ottawa and we get a LOT of snow .

Any feedback would be appreciated !

Thanks !

Cheers
PL
Sponsored

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
4wd plus locking diff + snow tires. You will be a god among men.

In all seriousness though, if you are used to having snow tires on other vehicles then the ranger is no different. 4wd/Awd only helps starting off the line and maybe helps limit tendency to spinout. But snowtires have better turning, braking and starting traction.
4wd/Awd doesn't help you stop!

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
I live in Saskatchewan, and while winter tires are amazing and would be a huge improvement, I rarely use 4x4, I have fallen Wildpeak all terrain tires.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I used to laugh, every Winter, on my 45 minute commute on the Maine turnpike watching SUV's and 4x4's go flying by me as I'm doing my sedate 45mph in snow storms and 15 or 20 minutes later I see them way off in the willy-wacks or upside down in the ditch. Two wheel drive, or four wheel drive, we still have the same four tires on the ground to stop with. Bigger vehicles just have go farther into the woods to stop when they go off the road in a storm.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Do you stay icy or just packed snow? Are the main roads plowed with side streets left in worse condition?

I live in an area that gets maybe 2 feet but our cabin gets 11 feet and the roads have packed snow and ice for probably 90 days. Have gotten by with the stock tires and often drive around in 2 wheel drive. This video is playing around in two wheel drive. Road in picture behind truck is how roads are roughly from late Dec-Mar.

Ranger driveway.jpg

Last edited:

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Looks like this by March

front snow.jpg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I'm up here in the Colorado Rockies and I can tell you right now snow tires are an awesome idea that if you're going to be in the winter. Just because you have four wheel drive does not mean you are invincible. To say the least I learned the hard way. Here are some pictures of a 92 Pathfinder that I ended up rolling on October 30th 2019. The same day is when I got my Ranger and it wasn't long after that that I got snow tires for the Ranger. What happened to my task? Simple I hit black ice did a full 180 slid into a snowbank and when rolling. I don't know how but I came out unscathed.

IMG_20191031_124229.jpg

IMG_20191031_124224.jpg

rausa64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The FX4 package comes with AT tires. I don't think you will need to purchase specific tires. I think you will have an excellent idea once you see them. I have yet to drive in huge snow, so I can't vouch for the OEM tires but they look like they would do the job.
v/r,
Rich

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
The FX4 package comes with AT tires. I don't think you will need to purchase specific tires. I think you will have an excellent idea once you see them. I have yet to drive in huge snow, so I can't vouch for the OEM tires but they look like they would do the job.
v/r,
Rich

Winter tires have a different tread compound that is optimized for cold temperatures. I purchased a set of BLIZZAK DM-V2 for New England winters and am very happy with the performance last season.

Here is a link to video explaining the benefits of winter tires from one of the tire retailers..

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
Snow tires make any vehicle handle in the snow like it is on rails. The difference is amazing. Living in Vermont the snow removal is amazing but there are roads that are definitely on the we will get to it when we get to it. Thats where the snow tires and 4 wd earn their keep.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
What type of tire are you refering to when you say "snow tire." Are we talking a tire with severe snow rating (mountain peak) or are we talking about a winter tire like the Biizzak?

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
What type of tire are you refering to when you say "snow tire." Are we talking a tire with severe snow rating (mountain peak) or are we talking about a winter tire like the Biizzak?
The blizzak has severe snow rating (mountain peak). Its a snow tire. For driving on ice and snow.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
The blizzak has severe snow rating (mountain peak). Its a snow tire. For driving on ice and snow.
The Hankook AT-2 tires have the severe snow rating also but aren't the same as the Blizzaks. My 2019 came stock with the Hankook ATM tires which were M&S but didn't have the severe snow rating. I believe the 2020 Ranger comes with the AT-2.