First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I’m a more rubber less rim kind of guy. Went with 265/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx for the snow and ice

098FB086-C8BD-45A2-B24B-ABD7BB25005C.jpeg
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

Going to give my Coopers a good test tomorrow... this time last night we had next to no snow, now we have 8-10” and it’s supposed to continue through the night!
All these reports of snow all over the place are making me sad we don't have any. In classic Minnesota fashion it's been cold but the ground is still bare, and with no real snow in sight. I'd much rather it be the opposite way.

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger ˋ19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
I’m a more rubber less rim kind of guy. Went with 265/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx for the snow and ice

098FB086-C8BD-45A2-B24B-ABD7BB25005C.jpeg
HaHa. Afaik you have do deal with this stuff in Redding as often we had to here in central germany. Twice a winter for a vew hours in the morning ;-) But u re right. The At´ s with that snoflake sign perform good in winter. BeRich KO2 perform a bit better in the wet when they are not older than 2 seasons i figured out.

Like your „winter“ wheels. Wich offset do they have?

cheers!

EDITh stalked u a bit and found that the wheels are zero offset. Makes her sad cause the german law wont let her put them on that truck... only 5% more wide is legal.

Last edited:

Rangerado

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350
Occupation
Harvester of Pain
Vehicle Showcase
HaHa. Afaik you have do deal with this stuff in Redding as often we had to here in central germany. Twice a winter for a vew hours in the morning ;-) But u re right. The At´ s with that snoflake sign perform good in winter. BeRich KO2 perform a bit better in the wet when they are not older than 2 seasons i figured out.

Like your „winter“ wheels. Wich offset do they have?

cheers!

EDITh stalked u a bit and found that the wheels are zero offset. Makes her sad cause the german law wont let her put them on that truck... only 5% more wide is legal.

5% increase in what dimension? Track width?

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
So after a winter season, how’s the thoughts of using a set of snows?

I’ve been using winter tires on my last 3 vehicles (Fusion, Freestar, and our current 2017 Escape) and have really noticed a difference, for the better.

Because of that I’m really pondering getting some for next winter. This past one was “fine” with the Hankook AT’s, which is what it should be from how I remember from my previous 4x4 days. BUT, that softer rubber when the temperature drops really makes the tires so much more noticeable, in a good way ?

Chris

Deleted member 1634

So after a winter season, how’s the thoughts of using a set of snows?

I’ve been using winter tires on my last 3 vehicles (Fusion, Freestar, and our current 2017 Escape) and have really noticed a difference, for the better.

Because of that I’m really pondering getting some for next winter. This past one was “fine” with the Hankook AT’s, which is what it should be from how I remember from my previous 4x4 days. BUT, that softer rubber when the temperature drops really makes the tires so much more noticeable, in a good way ?

Chris
I'm in pretty much the exact same boat. Hankooks were workable last winter. Didn't have any scary moments, but I did have plenty of frustrating moments. Snow tires have always alleviated that winter driving frustration. I'm pretty much set on getting a set for next winter. Now to just decide which set. So I'm interested in what people have to say too.

Subduction

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Std. cab, SWB Ranger 2x4, 2.5L, 5-sp; 2014 XV Crosstrek
Occupation
Retired
Soft tread compound in freezing temperatures is so nice. The OP was asking about downsizing wheel diameter and I'd say yes--especially from 18"--because there is stuff on the road under the snow you can't see until you thump it.

Downsizing tread width is usually recommended, say going from 265 to a 255 sidewall width. I'm in (usually) mellow Seattle but I like to be able to get across the Cascade mountains safely. I no longer ski but I've always had a set of mounted winter tires like Bridgestone Blizzaks on hand.

Last edited:

frosty110

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
This thread might be going stale, but maybe because I have a new Ranger and maybe because I'm Canadian (maybe both?), but I too usually downsize my winter set. If not in diameter, then in width as I've found that really helps when pushing through typical unplowed highways, etc.

For what it's worth, have used Hak R2 and R3's (available at Kal Tire), last year used studded Cooper Discoverer's and found them to be really good. I do a lot of highway driving on compacted ice and those brands have really worked well for me. So yes, always dedicated winter tires on a second set of wheels. I do the changeovers myself. Cheers!

OP
OP

kneeler

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger lariet
, last year used studded Cooper Discoverer's
Studs are not allowed in my area , it’s too bad as we get a lot of freezing rain and packed snow/ice on the road where studs would be awesome

Cat797 Man

First Name
Terry McDade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4WD 2014 Roush Stage 1 Mustang
Occupation
HEO
Downsized from stock chrome 265/60/18 to XLT 17inch wheels with265/65/17 with Michelin Latitude Xice for northern Alberta winter.Only had on for one week but Michelins quieter than Stock Hankook tire.
Had snow already and impressed with tires

20200831_194014.jpg

20201020_100410.jpg

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Hi Folks,

Not to rub it in, but today is 80°F (26.7), yesterday we were using the Air Conditioning... Reason we are here...NO BUGS, and warm winters!

Best,
Phi Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired
But the Grandkids aren’t there! ? I enjoyed 5”winters” down there but as the Grandkids got older, we were missing too much. I actually love winter here!

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
My Ranger had 17’s so I stuck with them. I did get winter tires, they make a huge difference and I also got TPMS with the new wheels and tires. It is just a safety thing for me. Cost me $200 for the four.

We are just getting our first snow this evening. We will see what we end up with in the morning. There might be enough to give the Ranger a little test. The snow will be all gone in a day or two, so I will have two weeks or more before giving the Ranger a real test.

BCA0E382-F251-4C7C-9CFC-88C3ED30D961.jpeg

First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT F+4
Did a trip over the coq this October during the worst snow storm. Rear end is super loose on hard pack or ice on the stock A/T on mine. 4 wheel is ok Went all in with a set of hakkapeliitra 9 studded in stock 265/65/17. Front driver side tire rubs just a bit in one spot while backing up and turning to the extreme right ?‍♂ But looking forward to seeing what they can do compared to the stock Hankooks.
Used to run KO2 on a f-150 a few years ago but these Nokians should be crazy good

GatsbyNC1

First Name
MiG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Just mounted some stock sized (265/60R18) Blizzak DMV2s on mine and picked up some used 18x9 +18 wheels to run the stock Hankooks on come spring. Once those are worn then I'll buy some nice 17s.

What's the consensus on running sand bags in the bed? I've always driven 50:50 weight distribution RWD cars for winter, however never had a truck with nothing in the back.
Sponsored