DIY: Adding the 12V Power Outlet Option in the Bed

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Installed my Wolf Haus outlet today. Really a beautiful piece of engineering. Install is fast and simple and function is perfect.

I took a picture, but you've all already seen it.
Sponsored

Drew Toner

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger lariat
Check this kit for a 12v outlet - https://wolfhaus01.square.site/ . Hole and plug are already in the truck, took me about 10 minutes to install the kit! I recommend it very highly!! (Click on the Shop Now button to see the options available).
Is it just the V1 kit required? Seems to be a variety available!

Drew

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
Is it just the V1 kit required? Seems to be a variety available!

Drew
The difference between V1, V2, and V3 is which plug comes with it. The V1 has a power plug, V2 has a wire with no connector (add your own), and V3 only has the plug (kit) for what you want to connect. All 3 have the plug and wire for the truck itself.. Hope this helps..

Drew Toner

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger lariat
The difference between V1, V2, and V3 is which plug comes with it. The V1 has a power plug, V2 has a wire with no connector (add your own), and V3 only has the plug (kit) for what you want to connect. All 3 have the plug and wire for the truck itself.. Hope this helps..
Thanks bud, I'll get the V1!
Drew

Albert

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Business Owner
Hot @ all times. But controlled via the BCM so if battery voltage drops below threshold it will shut it down.

There is most likely a PID for it in the BCM. On my 17 Escape I was able to change the power port state using Forscan (Hot at all times or Hot with ign on). Have yet to poke around the trucks modules.
Thank you for sharing, please keep us posted if you decide to poke around the modules to keep it Hot all the time.

Dredgerie

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Ranger Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
Is there any way to tap into the 12v before the plug to run bed lights?

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
Is there any way to tap into the 12v before the plug to run bed lights?
Splicing into the wire. I made a one off that split the output between the bed and the OEM connector. You could also split off the connector in the bed.

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Thanks! Glad you like it.
Received mine the other day. Very easy to put on. Many thanks

If an angled connection was part of the line up, I would have ordered that as well. Thing is, I'm not sure if there's 4 of them. (One pointing left, the others pointing right, up and down,) Or if one can be positioned to any direction.

IMG_20200430_155729.jpg

Dredgerie

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Splicing into the wire. I made a one off that split the output between the bed and the OEM connector. You could also split off the connector in the bed.
Just ordered mine!

Caliope

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CC 4WD Lariat, 2022 Bronco Sport OB
I was also able to install the Wolfhaus 12v Outlet in my Ranger’s bed. It is expensive. The quality of the outlet, wiring and a 10 minute install time makes up for it.

it is extremely easy to install. I have had some health issues that limit my endurance, flexibility and strength. However, don’t feel sorry for me, it is an opening to spend more time with my daughters and son working together. We get more time together and I get to feel like in some small way, I am teaching them about tools and how things work! Below are some pics of the outlet in the bed. I also included a pic of the install process with my daughters! Great time!

33EFED88-D29E-4979-A001-7059268ECE66.jpeg

3C49C50E-A21F-487A-B29E-A0EC8581E5EA.jpeg

E8138BDC-F4CE-40C1-BF7C-56C0FF8C3E23.jpeg

0D7C29E9-640D-4D6E-88BE-D0E9F73C5085.jpeg

A278488B-6F99-417C-BC7E-19D3D6A19C90.jpeg
I think it is really cool that you and your daughters worked together on this. I know that I have been grateful that my dad was adamant that I learned how to do basic vehicle maintenance as a requirement of getting my driver's license. The knowledge has served me well over the years. I am known in my neighborhood as the "unusual" girl that uses tools and builds things. I gave my latest performance for the neighbors last Sunday installing bed lighting in my driveway:like:.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
I'd really like to get something like the V1 setup for camping in my shell, but I have a BedRug and am a bit concerned about mounting anything to that at all. What do you think about drilling a small hole for the V1 harness to pass through and inserting a grommet for the hole?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'd really like to get something like the V1 setup for camping in my shell, but I have a BedRug and am a bit concerned about mounting anything to that at all. What do you think about drilling a small hole for the V1 harness to pass through and inserting a grommet for the hole?
Hi Jason,

Properly done with a grommet and a bit of corrosion protection, you would be okay in my opinion. I, personally, would not drill through any sheet metal any more, but in my younger days with my Fords....no problem except for the Dash Panel....Never drill through the Dash Panel (AKA Firewall)...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Hi Jason,

Properly done with a grommet and a bit of corrosion protection, you would be okay in my opinion. I, personally, would not drill through any sheet metal any more, but in my younger days with my Fords....no problem except for the Dash Panel....Never drill through the Dash Panel (AKA Firewall)...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,

I don't want to drill through anything but my BedRug to allow the cord from the V1 kit to pass through. I suspect a simple grommet would be enough to keep the BedRug from coming apart at the hole any further than the drilled hole itself.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
There are already holes slightly smaller than 5/8” in diameter on the sides back near the tailgate.
That is where I am going to feed my line through, with a 5/8” groove diameter rubber grommet.

Dredgerie

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Received mine the other day. Very easy to put on. Many thanks

If an angled connection was part of the line up, I would have ordered that as well. Thing is, I'm not sure if there's 4 of them. (One pointing left, the others pointing right, up and down,) Or if one can be positioned to any direction.

IMG_20200430_155729.jpg
I’d love one that’s pointed up, then you could easily mount the 12v connector under the bed rail.
Sponsored