Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
We occasionally got into a build and park situation at an assemby plant. Take Lorain Ohio...two plants in one under roof. Thunderchickens on the car side and Econolines on the other side. We were in the middle of a headache with the 8.8 rear axle for pitch line runout resulting in Econoline Boom. When we pulled into Lorain Assembly there were Thunderchickens parked all around the plant and it was obvious none of the Chickens had taillights. Thousands of Thunderchickens. We could not even find a place to park. So we gave up and drove back to our hotel to map strategy for how to support our plant drives. We hired a cab. It took weeks for the plant to get the Thunderchickens processsed once parts became available. Just another production nightmare...
Sometimes I wonder if my dad just makes up words or if they really are in wider usage. Today I learned he did not make up "Thunderchicken".
Sponsored

OP
OP
zhuskers1

zhuskers1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
I do not know what you mean by sitting at the ramp... It is either in the shipping yard of the company that receives all vehicles from the plant or it is on plant property, and if on plant property, it is there for a reason...waiting for repair or a part shortage. Either way, you do not want to get the vehicle until it is deemed customer ready. The days of letting the dealership finish the vehicle are long gone. "Sold" orders is also confusing. I think you mean built to order by you and not dealer stock, correct? Ford does not build spec units. Every unit on the assembly line was ordered and Ford gets its $ for the vehicle the minute it hits the shipping company's yard. You sometimes see a train derailment and new cars strewn across the tracks etc. Those cars are owned by the railway at this time....Ford did not loose any $ on them. So from the Plant perspective orders are scheduled and sometimes withheld if there is a production problem, parts shortage etc.

Hope what ever the hold up of your truck is, it gets resolved.

We occasionally got into a build and park situation at an assemby plant. Take Lorain Ohio...two plants in one under roof. Thunderchickens on the car side and Econolines on the other side. We were in the middle of a headache with the 8.8 rear axle for pitch line runout resulting in Econoline Boom. When we pulled into Lorain Assembly there were Thunderchickens parked all around the plant and it was obvious none of the Chickens had taillights. Thousands of Thunderchickens. We could not even find a place to park. So we gave up and drove back to our hotel to map strategy for how to support our plant drives. We hired a cab. It took weeks for the plant to get the Thunderchickens processsed once parts became available. Just another production nightmare...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,
Thank you for your thoughtful response.
My dealer sent me this text:
“Our system says - In Transit. Location ramp 44, Woodhaven, MI. ETA August 9-15.”

That is where I got the term “ramp”

Thanks again!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil,
Thank you for your thoughtful response.
My dealer sent me this text:
“Our system says - In Transit. Location ramp 44, Woodhaven, MI. ETA August 9-15.”

That is where I got the term “ramp”

Thanks again!
Hi Z,

Okay. Woodhaven is the mixing yard for the rail shipper. Cars and Trucks for as far as the eye can see. Out of Ford Assembly Plant hands. Hard to be patient, but your truck is not forgotten. Just got to get a Roundtuit...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
zhuskers1

zhuskers1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
Hi Z,

Okay. Woodhaven is the mixing yard for the rail shipper. Cars and Trucks for as far as the eye can see. Out of Ford Assembly Plant hands. Hard to be patient, but your truck is not forgotten. Just got to get a Roundtuit...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
How reliable and timely are the updates from the shipper?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
How reliable and timely are the updates from the shipper?
Hi Z,

Not in my arena so I cannot answer this question.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
zhuskers1

zhuskers1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
Our new Truck has been sitting at The Ramp for 2 weeks..... I thought railroads and dealers needed revenue.

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT CA Special. Ordering a Ranger Lariat FX2 Supercab in February 2020
Our new Truck has been sitting at The Ramp for 2 weeks..... I thought railroads and dealers needed revenue.
:crying: I feel your pain!
My dealer says my truck has not moved in days either. He is not sure if the web site has not been updated or they are just sitting.

Scott D

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/STX
That might be slightly optimistic, but not too far. I'd say expect 10-12 weeks and if it comes sooner all the better.
I sold my '39 Ford Deluxe Coupe (as seen in the old introduction thread) and I'm going to my dealership next Friday to place the order.

I want to claim that I'm a patient man, but the wait might be...a little painful, lol. :)

OP
OP
zhuskers1

zhuskers1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
The delivered process is constipated!

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I sold my '39 Ford Deluxe Coupe (as seen in the old introduction thread) and I'm going to my dealership next Friday to place the order.

I want to claim that I'm a patient man, but the wait might be...a little painful, lol. :)
The waiting is difficult & exciting. It's especially hard once you know it has left the plant and you expect to receive it shortly. ?:turkey:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The waiting is difficult & exciting. It's especially hard once you know it has left the plant and you expect to receive it shortly. ?:turkey:
When I was waiting for mine, it was tough. It took 3 weeks to get to the west coast from the day it was completed. It spent 21 days "in transit", but out of those 21 days, 10 were spent just sitting, not moving.

What was even harder was that it came on a Friday, but I couldn't get out there to pick it up until Sunday - now THAT was rough! But now, over 14 months later, it is all but a memory. I've enjoyed my truck for way more time than I spent waiting. And I had to wait 4 months for mine - it was when they were still ramping up production, so it took longer.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
When I was waiting for mine, it was tough. It took 3 weeks to get to the west coast from the day it was completed. It spent 21 days "in transit", but out of those 21 days, 10 were spent just sitting, not moving.

What was even harder was that it came on a Friday, but I couldn't get out there to pick it up until Sunday - now THAT was rough! But now, over 14 months later, it is all but a memory. I've enjoyed my truck for way more time than I spent waiting. And I had to wait 4 months for mine - it was when they were still ramping up production, so it took longer.
I feel exactly the same. Now waiting is just a memory & I've enjoyed every minute with my Ranger!

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT CA Special. Ordering a Ranger Lariat FX2 Supercab in February 2020
So now my truck is hung up in limbo.... or is it? Hard to tell.
2020-06-26_20-05-44.jpg

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
Just to provide a bit more ammo - we used to have someone on the forums who worked at a plant who had access to the "insider" system, and he would provide updates when people asked. I don't think he has been on here for quite some time now, but it was really interesting. I made the following map showing the progress of my truck as it made its way across the country:

https://www.mapcustomizer.com/map/RWRangerFinalMap

And here is a screen shot of the full listing showing all the detail on my order:
RangerStatusListing.PNG

So there is a TON of information they can provide if they want to.
Oh man what a great bit of history to have with your truck! Would love it if we can access this data.
Sponsored