4 Months from order to delivery? Is this what others are experiencing?

RogerRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
Retired
Ordered my 2021 Ranger on 1/29/21.

After repeated requests I finally got the VIN from the dealer.

The Ford site is reporting that the order was confirmed on 3/4/21 and the vehicle is not in production.

the Dealer is saying that the vehicle will go into production the first week of May and should be to the dealer by the end of May.

So from time of order to delivery will be approximately 16 weeks.

Is this a normal timeframe? Or maybe the dealer messed up and didn't submit the order promptly.

Just wondering if others are seeing similar timeframes.
Sponsored

ManOfH2o

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Supercrew
Occupation
Safety Director
I had the same problem last it was order in January but didn't even get made until June 2020 and finally was at the dealership 3rd July 2020.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same problem last it was order in January but didn't even get made until June 2020 and finally was at the dealership 3rd July 2020.
I think your situation is a bit different since the plant was shut down for several weeks due to COVID in 2020.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Been in the news quite a bit. Chip shortages will shut down auto manufacturers in the months ahead. Others on here getting warranty work done are hitting the same wall. Hang in there!

Thatwaspontus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab FX4
Occupation
WTT
Ordered an XLT SCab with most of the options on 8/2/2021. Dealer had the VIN by 25/2/2021. They contacted me yesterday (26/3/2021) to let me know the truck had finished production and delivery is expected before the end of April. So I guess 2-2 1/2 months. Dealer estimated 10 weeks. Located in southern Alberta if that is of any help.

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
Per the Ford tracking site My order was confirmed 3/2/2021 with a expected arrival at my dealer 5/6/2021. It is not in production yet. It is Lariat SuperCab.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
You betcha Steve, I ordered on Sept. 01, and it arrived on Dec. 06. It takes awhile. Remember, the Broncos are going to be built at the same plant. Ford is getting ready to start production soon, and that doesn't help either.

OP
OP
RogerRanger

RogerRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
Retired
Thanks, Do you know what day you placed the order with the dealer? I'm trying to figure out if it's normal for there to be a five week delay between my putting the order in with the dealer, and Ford receiving the order.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Thanks, Do you know what day you placed the order with the dealer? I'm trying to figure out if it's normal for there to be a five week delay between my putting the order in with the dealer, and Ford receiving the order.
That's about par for the course. I can't remember for sure, but I got my VIN in around 3-4 weeks. Then it was all waiting for Ford to start the build. Ford gets the order as soon as the dealer hit's "enter". It stays right there until Ford finds you worthy of a VIN. It's all just the nature of the beast my friend. As the late great Tom Petty said, "The waiting is the hardest part".

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Same here -- I ordered at the end of 2020, and it took over a month to get the VIN. It took almost 4 months total until it arrived.

One positive: the shipping estimate was conservative, so it arrived a week earlier than expected.

I know it's a very long wait, and it would be nice it Ford had better tools to track progress.

One thing that helped me, was looking at the window sticker when it became available. It was updated a few times (there's a date on it), which showed me that something was happening :p

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
In CA ordered (deposit paid, price agreed, specs defined) a Lariat Tremor on Feb 22. The dealer sent me a written Ford order confirmation on Feb 26.

After I asked, they gave me a vin on Mar 16. Fords estimated delivery, shown on their tracking site, is May 18..

12 weeks order to delivery for me, if the committed delivery date is accurate.

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kawasaki Versys LT, and soon a 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Supply Chain
Hi, new member here (and soon to be latest gen ranger owner)

I ordered an XLT the second week of January, it's JUST now in production.

I work in automotive supply chain, and can definitely state that the chip shortage is having a major affect on all of the OEM's, particularly if your vehicle has additional electronics features. When you see GM pull down production at a truck plant (Wentzville - makes the Colorado/Canyon) for two weeks on short notice, and Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis idle nearly half their North American plants for 3 weeks at the drop of a hat, there is definitely trouble afoot. Things will get better, but not for a bit, considering the additional demand for consumer electronics using much of that same capacity needed by the OEM's.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Hi, new member here (and soon to be latest gen ranger owner)

I ordered an XLT the second week of January, it's JUST now in production.

I work in automotive supply chain, and can definitely state that the chip shortage is having a major affect on all of the OEM's, particularly if your vehicle has additional electronics features. When you see GM pull down production at a truck plant (Wentzville - makes the Colorado/Canyon) for two weeks on short notice, and Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis idle nearly half their North American plants for 3 weeks at the drop of a hat, there is definitely trouble afoot. Things will get better, but not for a bit, considering the additional demand for consumer electronics using much of that same capacity needed by the OEM's.
Welcome to the forum Karl. I have a new Bronco on order, and with the constraints and late availability option I'm already into 2022 before I might see the thing. With this sad news I may get that Bronco the day before the DMV pulls my license for being to old to drive. :)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Welcome to the forum Karl. I have a new Bronco on order, and with the constraints and late availability option I'm already into 2022 before I might see the thing. With this sad news I may get that Bronco the day before the DMV pulls my license for being to old to drive. :)
Jim, I'd be more afraid of your wife taking the checkbook away from you before the DMV pulls your license. ?
Sponsored