Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger LTX
Occupation
Reseracher
Hey guys,

I'm on the wait list for a 2022 Ranger like a number of you folks are as well. Had a real internal struggle between the Mav & the Ranger. I went to a dealership to check out the trade in value of my 2019 Nissan Frontier, I ended up driving the 2022 2.0T Maverick LTX along with a 2019 2.3T Ranger Lariat. Walked away having enjoyed both. Kept circling back to the Mav as it hit our price point and needs, but every time I put together a build I ended up in the price range of a Ranger LT or LTX. Why settle for the nicest Maverick when you can have a better vehicle all around? I ended up talking myself in to a 2022 Ranger LTX 4x2, Velocity Blue, Black appearance package, tech package, and tow package. At present I only have a confirmation of the order. I keep going back and forth in my head over adding 4x4 to it, but realistically I don't have many 4x4 related needs out of my current truck. I do have plans to do a bit of light overlanding in the future, but more or less this will be a DD that does occasional house chores & help with friends as needed.

I ended up finding this site by trying to determine if the dealer '9 - 12 weeks' info was correct. According to you guys it is correct and that 2022 Rangers will start production ~ Dec 13. That gives me hope that I might land it before Feb. The wife and I have our first coming along so we're excited & hopeful to get this before that occurs. I hope nothing I added on leads to any major delays in production. I read on another sub forum that the Lariat trim was leading to some delays related to chips that other trims didn't have.

Anyhow guys cheers. Happy to be here. Hoping to hear updates from Ford soon.
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The Maverick is great if you don't really need a "truck".

But if you plan on towing, hauling, overlanding, moving, etc. then the Ranger is the one to get!

Welcome aboard!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome Taylor - you had me at “overlanding”. ?

Sounds like you need it for more than the Maverick‘s capabilities. It’s a great choice. I hope you can handle the short wait.

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
Not sure if you wanted to discuss the pros/cons of either, but realistically we went with a Ranger because we have a small (2000 lb 16') camper.

There is no replacement for 4wd, low range, and a rear locker for pulling a trailer offroad.

However, if we didn't tow, a Maverick would've 100% been the better vehicle for daily use and could do 99% of the overlanding that the Ranger can.

OP
OP
onemanlan

onemanlan

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger LTX
Occupation
Reseracher
Thanks gents. Happy to be here. Hoping to hear something from the dealer soon. We'll see.

Happy to chat about 4x2 or 4x4 to see if perhaps the latter might better fit our lifestyle. Mainly aiming for the 4x2 for the MPG as well as the rare need for 4x4, but there's always the possibility that offroad related travels become a more regular part of our lives. You have until they lock in my Ranger to convince me :)

Regardless thanks for the warm welcome. Happy to be here with yall.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks gents. Happy to be here. Hoping to hear something from the dealer soon. We'll see.

Happy to chat about 4x2 or 4x4 to see if perhaps the latter might better fit our lifestyle. Mainly aiming for the 4x2 for the MPG as well as the rare need for 4x4, but there's always the possibility that offroad related travels become a more regular part of our lives. You have until they lock in my Ranger to convince me :)

Regardless thanks for the warm welcome. Happy to be here with yall.
I just have a mental block that would prevent me from considering a Maverick because it is a FWD based vehicle with a transverse mounted engine. Can't even get AWD if you want the hybrid.

OP
OP
onemanlan

onemanlan

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger LTX
Occupation
Reseracher
I hear ya. When building a Maverick was easy to go from XL Hybrid (~$19k) to XL Hybrid with tow package to XL 2.0t w/ tow to XLT 2.0t AWD w/ tow to Lariat 2.0t AWD w/ tow (~$33-35k) to... crap I'm now priced between a Ranger XL and XLT. Even with the ranger you can find yourself into F150 territory. Darn Ford and their well thought out tiering systems.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I came from a 2X drive and went with the current 4x4. My only regret is I got the Sport edition XLT. So no lock on rear if I wanted it. Got the tow package though. Totally happy with what I have though. Seeing you’re from the South the mud down there at times can be tough to deal with in a 2X. The additional cost isn’t all that much and it does play into resale later when you’re done with it.

Congrats on your baby’s arrival. Looking back for me it was definitely some of the greatest moments in my life and forever changed the way I see things!

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Good choice if you plan on doing anythi g truck related. Unless you live in the heart of atlanta, chicago, new york, or such. I have a 4x2 xlt. Got at 30k. I tow, haul, play sand, mud, hunt, beach and so on. The poor mans locker does pretty good. When one wheel spins, the ranger applies brake so the non spinning wheel can spin. With traction control off. Side steps hit everything off road, super thin paint, and lousy drive mode. But sport mode and tow haul mode are awesome. Hopefully you get your truck soon, enjoy!

20211127_104743.jpg

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
Welcome! You’ve made the right choice ?

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I went over to the ford site tonight and built a mav.... then I said, nah. I'll stick with my Ranger and see where 6G takes us.

OP
OP
onemanlan

onemanlan

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger LTX
Occupation
Reseracher
Thank you all for the kind words as well as your perspectives on vehicle configureation. Think I'm going to think long and hard about it. This forum has already been a good deal of help. Regardless I can poke my dealer to see if he has any updates that I'm not privy too.

I went over to the ford site tonight and built a mav.... then I said, nah. I'll stick with my Ranger and see where 6G takes us.
The Mav really fits a niche for people who don't already have trucks and wouldn't normally consider one. If you have a truck then you can enjoy it, but you might not find the same value in it. I think they hit a really banging idea with it & the demographics it's aimed at. I'd be stoked to be a kid in high school who had a (used) Mav XL. Way better than my 1995 Ford Thunderbird. Heck I'd take one over a Civic or Camary (though those cars have improved a good bit as of late).
Sponsored