Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I am a free markets guy.

I bought a new GM truck in late 2008 when the world was going to hell in a hand basket economically speaking. The dealer had this fully loaded 1/2 ton sitting there with a $55K MSRP window sticker on it. It happened to be what I wanted and needed, but I also knew they weren't selling anything at that point. I gave them a super low ball offer (an offer a friend of mine who sold cars for years didn't believe they took as he knew it was below their cost, even with the kitchen sink of incentives thrown in). I did have to wait hours that day with the back and forth to "his manager", but I patiently waited and was steadfast, that was all I was going to pay. They sold that truck to me below their cost (according to my friend).

I didn't feel guilty at all for "taking advantage of the situation". They were free not to sell it to me, I was free to walk if they didn't. That is how free markets work.
Sponsored

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
So let's say I pay the 52 K , drive it off the lot and total it in a crash, insurance pays what the truck is worth , 30 K , where the other 22 k come from ?
Your bank account unless you got GAP.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Your bank account unless you got GAP.
I am not even sure if GAP would even apply in this situation. I have never heard of GAP working if you pay cash. GAP is a sliding scale policy in that every month the payout reduces, until the loan to value brakes even. A bank would not touch a negative equity loan like that. If they did, it would be at a very high interest rate.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
That's why I said I blame the consumer. If people would stop buying them for these markups they'd have no choice. The only one I can remember that had these crazy markups was the F150 Raptor. Never have I seen one on a Ranger or any other Ford vehicle. Maybe the GT had one but I never checked those out.
I'm with you on this but too many people have too much money & they'll just buy it.
Wish I had that problem.

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
I am not even sure if GAP would even apply in this situation. I have never heard of GAP working if you pay cash. GAP is a sliding scale policy in that every month the payout reduces, until the loan to value brakes even. A bank would not touch a negative equity loan like that. If they did, it would be at a very high interest rate.
I agree with what you are saying, but I didn't see where NotBudule said if the situation was whether he paid cash or not. Just assumed it would be a financed amount. Again all hypothetical.

Des Graziato

First Name
Des
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Splash
I had a Maverick Lariat on order from December. It was evident that it was not coming this year. I still have the order in place for whenever they actually manufacture it. I got my Ranger for MSRP. No way I would ever pay over msrp for a Maverick!

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Can the dealers not just say its not for sale, but is only on the lot as a demo and then sell it later as such once they get orders rolling?
Yes, they can. This dealer is in a particularly wealthy area and someone will definitely pay that so their kid can drive it to school.

RangerVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XLT
I'm coming from SUV to Car and decided I wanted a truck but not a big one.
Had started looking and thought I wanted a Maverick. Thought cheap enough so I started looking and researching...finally got to see one in person back then and said too small for me and didn't look as good as I thought, then decided to look at the Ranger...Happy with the choice
Definitely wouldn't spend $50K on a Maverick

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I was considering a Maverick as a replacement too, but it would have taken over a year to get it, and the dealership had a Ranger on the lot that I could take that week. It had almost everything I wanted (just missing a sunroof, but that's not a big deal), and a few things I hadn't considered, so I'm very happy with it, especially after seeing the Maverick IRL; I agree that it's a bit small for what I wanted.

Also, is it just me, or does the Hyundai Santa Cruz (sibling to the Maverick) look a lot like a bigger version of the Subaru Baja?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i recall some proverb about natives selling flower pots by the road side. something about the same pot for sale at two price points.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

Also, is it just me, or does the Hyundai Santa Cruz (sibling to the Maverick) look a lot like a bigger version of the Subaru Baja?
I had a Subaru Baja Turbo that I absolutely loved and I was hyped for the Santa Cruz as I thought it might be the second coming of the Baja.

It's not.

I drove 3 different ones and didn't particularly care for any of them.

That said, I hope that the Santa Cruz does well enough to convince Subaru to bring back the Baja Turbo :like:

Clank

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Vehicle Showcase
Can the dealers not just say its not for sale, but is only on the lot as a demo and then sell it later as such once they get orders rolling?
Some are doing that. But It makes more sense to list it for sale and gather more interest in it until some person comes along that decides that markup is ok to pay the dealer. It’s basically a win win for the dealers. And a big loss for all consumers.
Sponsored