D vs S Drive Mode

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I'm not sure if this was already asked but can you shift from drive to sport on the fly or do you have to be at a complete stop to do so
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm not sure if this was already asked but can you shift from drive to sport on the fly or do you have to be at a complete stop to do so
Yes I do it all the time. Mostly when i'm getting on the on ramps here as most have an incline. I can get up to speed quicker and merge into traffic then I can shift into D.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I do like it for the mountain passes going up from Phoenix to Payson or Phoenix to Prescott.

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Usually drive in D but we went to the Chattahoochee National Forest this past weekend (Mountains. Winding roads. Dirt trails) . I drove in S the whole weekend. PURE UNADULTERATED FUN!

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Usually drive in D but we went to the Chattahoochee National Forest this past weekend (Mountains. Winding roads. Dirt trails) . I drove in S the whole weekend. PURE UNADULTERATED FUN!
I used Sport mode under the same scenario - Blue Ridge Parkway. Not only was it awesome when driving up steep hills but the engine braking was spectacular when descending.

Like you however, I use D the vast majority of the time. I live in flat, hill-free south Florida.

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I used Sport mode under the same scenario - Blue Ridge Parkway. Not only was it awesome when driving up steep hills but the engine braking was spectacular when descending.

Like you however, I use D the vast majority of the time. I live in flat, hill-free south Florida.
Lived in Miami for 5 years. Roads are flat and straight as an arrow.

Last edited:

Onlyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4, 2019 Jeep Rubicon on 37's
I run in S mode in town and D on the highway. Although I love this little truck, it definitely needs a tune for the transmission. My 2.0 turbo Rubicon on 37s will run circles around my Ranger around town. FCA did a spectacular job tuning the 8 speed. You can’t tell me Ford can’t do the same. It’s gotten better since it’s learning curve but still too laggy.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
My only concern is when you start shifting manually in 'S' you can exceed the redline. Seems like a way for irresponsible drivers to blow something up. Wonder if fleet vehicles can get that locked down.

HighCaliberMitch

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLTSC FX4/Sport
Lol I love the S in town from red light to red light. Gas milage be damned I really dont care. But boy ohh boy it really wakes up that lazy transmission. Dont get me wrong I do love this transmission, but just a lil lazy in slow traffic. I know a tune will resolve that, I'll just save the money and enjoy the Shite out of that S!!
I'm pretty sure "S" changes the throttle curve too.

Just my experience and notice.

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
I’ve always been a D guy (even in our ‘17 Escape which has similar functionality?), but there’s some good spots that I’m driving out to this week with decent elevation changes and this thread is making me want to try S.

Especially after learning here that it shifts itself. I also thought once it was in S that I needed to do the “shifting” (+\-) myself.

Will be doing some experimenting now... ?

Reactions: Doc

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I’ve always been a D guy (even in our ‘17 Escape which has similar functionality?), but there’s some good spots that I’m driving out to this week with decent elevation changes and this thread is making me want to try S.

Especially after learning here that it shifts itself. I also thought once it was in S that I needed to do the “shifting” (+\-) myself.

Will be doing some experimenting now... ?
You won't be disappointed

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I thought S was just for you to manually shift the gears with the flappy paddle thumb button?
Sponsored