Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
...why can't you shift directly into S mode. Why the stop in D, then depress the lever again to go to S?????
Probably for the same reason my lawn mower has a picture of a guy holding it upright and trimming hedges with it and the big NO stripe through it. There are people in this world that will do dumb stuff and then sue because you didn't keep them from doing dumb stuff or at least tell them that some things are dumb ideas.

Hell - Some grocery stores have tape on the floors every six feet to help shoppers understnad what "social distance" means. At first I thought it was overkill but then I rememberd how many people at the grocery store cant count to 12 in the express lane. So it tracks.
Sponsored

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
Been using it in hopes of keeping RPMs up for initial break-in of the motor, seat the rings and pray for no excess fuel in the oil.
I did the same during my first week....then switched to using D but still not letting it go to 9th gear at 35-40 mph, just tap my right foot a pinch and it shifts down one

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My only annoyance is that you have to pull the lever to go from D back into Neutral. This is the first vehicle (with auto) I have ever had to act that way. I can't figure why they made that change.

When sitting idling in drive and you want to slap it into neutral while you change your foot foot position or some other minor thing, You can't do that easily. You have to reach and grab the handle to pull the lever to move the handle. Very annoying.

I actually like that you have to press the knob to shift from D to S. I drive with my right hand on the shifter and my arm resting on the console. With my Tacoma I would constantly push to shifter forward into N so this way there's no way for this to happen.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
S seems to work better in bumper to bumper traffic (which i fortunately haven't encountered in in a few weeks)

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
S seems to work better in bumper to bumper traffic (which i fortunately haven't encountered in in a few weeks)
What's D like? Like driving with two cylinders... I always drive in S ?

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
What's D like? Like driving with two cylinders... I always drive in S ?
Its similar to the feeling of driving a 1995 taurus.. lol. No actually i just notice D doesn't seem to spool the turbo as quick.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Its similar to the feeling of driving a 1995 taurus.. lol. No actually i just notice D doesn't seem to spool the turbo as quick.
Exactly...like limp mode...that's why I don't bother with D...mpg difference is unnoticeable so I don't know why anyone would use D...

In D mode, the engine runs at lower RPM often lugging and putting the boost into overdrive...not good for MPG...

bigDedition

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 1997 Ford F150
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Mine goes no problem from D down to S, I only use sport mode in City and entering freeways ramps

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Exactly...like limp mode...that's why I don't bother with D...mpg difference is unnoticeable so I don't know why anyone would use D...

In D mode, the engine runs at lower RPM often lugging and putting the boost into overdrive...not good for MPG...
Curious...if you never use D, how do you know the MPGs are unnoticeable?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Curious...if you never use D, how do you know the MPGs are unnoticeable?
It was very very hard Jim LOL to stick with D mode long enough to verify MPG (couple of tanks)...once I was satisfied that the difference was negligible, I went to S for good...the pain of the struggling D drive that was constantly putting the engine in lugging RPM...just stupid...

Last edited:

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
the good thing about S mode is if you think the tranny is revving up too high before a shift, you can shift it with the + button...I noticed that during my first week with the truck, so I would just shift up between 2500-3000 rpm and try holding the engine at around 2000 rpm for cruising, though it has plenty of torque on the bottom end (this is no flat-4 boxer)

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
the good thing about S mode is if you think the tranny is revving up too high before a shift, you can shift it with the + button...I noticed that during my first week with the truck, so I would just shift up between 2500-3000 rpm and try holding the engine at around 2000 rpm for cruising, though it has plenty of torque on the bottom end (this is no flat-4 boxer)
Correct me if I'm wrong but...if you use the + - buttons while in S mode, aren't you now entering manual shifting? In other words, while in Sport mode, using the + - buttons requires you to manually shift.

This happened to me once. I did just what you said and my engine revved to almost redline when I noticed it wasn't shifting to the next hear AND there was a little red gear number on the display indicating what gear I'm in.

Last edited:

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
:clap: That's just lol--I haven't used "S" even once yet--Over 10K on the Ranger now!!!! Trans design seems so much better than earlier designs,(seemed to "hunt" a lot for the correct gear) I just let it do its thing--25MPG city/30 HWY

Now, I have been using the PRS portion of the system, on local/short drives--Basically, locks out the upper gears-however many you want, resets system at Key Cycle/off-on.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Correct me if I'm wrong but...if you use the + - buttons while in S mode, aren't you now entering manual shifting? In other words, while in Sport mode, using the + - buttons requires you to manually shift.

This happened to me once. I did just what you said and my engine revved to almost redline when I noticed it wasn't shifting to the next hear AND there was a little red gear number on the display indicating what gear I'm in.
No, just put it in sport and drive, don’t touch the buttons and it will drive in automatic..if you push the plus button you will have to shift manually...
Regards

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
No, just put it in sport and drive, don’t touch the buttons and it will drive in automatic..if you push the plus button you will have to shift manually...
Regards
Exactly what I said. Maybe I wasn't clear in my description.
Sponsored