Crowdsource/fund a backseat solution

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
I had a look at this the other night. Doesn't look like a big deal, I think I could do it. Just a matter of finding the time to mess with it. I would replace the bracket that attaches the back seat to the hinge, nothing with the base has to change. Unless I'm just totally missing something, the fact that this wasn't factory was either laziness or bean counting.
My thought is bean counting. There's a lot of technology in this truck that I never felt I needed before that pushed the cost up significantly. It's nice to have, but trust me, you're paying for it.

This is something actually useful that they chose not to spend money on.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
With multiple other mid-size trucks having more functional rear seating/interior storage options than the Ranger, I'd be hesitant to say that Ford was unable to find a solution that worked. It seems more like this being the result of something the designer/penny pinchers had either not even considered or felt that there was not large enough consumer want/need when this particular generation (T6) was launched in 2011 or with the face lift release in 2015. I suspect the next generation would have a better option for the rear seats and interior storage provided there is enough perceived consumer demand for it.
Sure, it's easy if you completely redesign the fuel tank and exhaust. I have a scab, don't give a crap about the under seat storage in a screw, and think they made the right set of trade offs. :) They probably will do things differently in the next gen when it's the US market in the drivers seat, but it will be at the expense of something else. Most likely, ground clearance or departure angle. It's sad that the market pushes every offering to be the same, instead having some variety so people can choose the features that matter to them.

jeffe

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Lincoln MK VIII, '19 Ranger XLT, Magnetic, 2WD CC, Sport pkg, towing pkg, rear locker.
Occupation
CPO, USN Retired, Retired AT&T Field Tech
The 60/40 folding rear seat in my '04 Sport Trac made it, in my opinion, THE best dog hauling truck. It created a really big, flat surface. If the Ranger had that, and the power rear window that the Sport Trac had, it would be my perfect truck. That said, it's an awesome truck in every other way.

Dustoff262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, black package
You could always get a cargo organizer made from bungie cords like this one ( Zento Deals Black Mesh Three Pocket Trunk Cargo Organizer Storage Net https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0179KBKTS/ref=cm_sw_r_other_taa_BW.8EbDR0Y3G0 ) and mount it to the rear of the truck bed. It works well, and can be easily unclipped to place larger items if need be. I also bought these to put my own hook mounts ( TERMATH 8 Pcs Stainless Steel 1.8 inch Pad Eye Plate U Hooks + 8pcs Stainless Steel Snap Hook,Marine Hardware Staple Hook Loop with Screws https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SG3B178/ref=cm_sw_r_other_taa_ZZ.8EbENT69XQ ) where I need them, right near the tail gate. Dont use their screws. They are too large. Use 5/8 inch self tap screws. I have a retrax cover, so when I load up my groceries, I just close the gate and everything is secured until I get home. Easy peasy. No stretching into the middle of the cab looking for things spilled over from the bags.

Dustoff262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, black package
I'd like to add that the more important item for me regarding the rear seat is a rifle mount with lock. I prefer that it remains hidden and only I would know where the switch is to retrieve it in an emergency. Putting it overhead is no good nor between the front seats. So that leaves under the rear bench or behind the back rest.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
The 60/40 folding rear seat in my '04 Sport Trac made it, in my opinion, THE best dog hauling truck. It created a really big, flat surface. If the Ranger had that, and the power rear window that the Sport Trac had, it would be my perfect truck. That said, it's an awesome truck in every other way.
I seriously considered going back to a Sport Trac, the first generation, before buying the Ranger. I had a 2wd, 5M one, great truck. I was on the search for a 4WD, 5M but couldn't find one, and honestly, they're getting old.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
"A Backseat Solution"... sounds like a summer drive in "B" movie.

I used to work with a guy that was a Mechanical Designer, and he really chose the wrong career field. He consistently produced bad designs, it was the best he could do. He got laid off and eventually landed a job at Chrysler. Seemed about right, based on the Chrysler designs I've experienced.

Point being the SuperCab rear folding seat is a piss poor design. Ford had to know it early on and just let it become reality. And the only people at fault are the designers and the management above them that allow such dismal designs to become reality. No reason at all the seat hinge couldn't have been designed to allow the seat back to fold flat.

Ever seen or used a mid / late 60's Mustang fastback rear fold down seat? Ford could have used this design philosophy and the seat back would fold forward and provide for a nice flat storage area.

Contrast that with the SuperCab back seat design.... which is great for grocery runs or hauling luggage. Well done.

Mustang Fastback Rear Seat 001.jpg
Mustang Fastback Rear Seat 002.jpg
001.JPG

Last edited:

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
I don't want or need a back seat. I specifically bought the truck as a dog hauler, but I'm also a dog rescue so I always have lots of dogs. I wish there was some kind of plastic drop in thing for the truck.

79082756_10218459323132903_4465868945265524736_o.jpg

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Dimensionally, thle Gen 2 Colorado seats will fit. Same width and the back rest is about an inch shorter. You'd have 60/40, armrest with cupholders and it would fold flat. I'll have a better look at the seat frame, but I think it might be doable. Hardest part, I think, would be the backrest latches.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
"A Backseat Solution"... sounds like a summer drive in "B" movie.

I used to work with a guy that was a Mechanical Designer, and he really chose the wrong career field. He consistently produced bad designs, it was the best he could do. He got laid off and eventually landed a job at Chrysler. Seemed about right, based on the Chrysler designs I've experienced.

Point being the SuperCab rear folding seat is a piss poor design. Ford had to know it early on and just let it become reality. And the only people at fault are the designers and the management above them that allow such dismal designs to become reality. No reason at all the seat hinge couldn't have been designed to allow the seat back to fold flat.

Contrast that with the SuperCab back seat design.... which is great for grocery runs or hauling luggage. Well done.

View attachment 46316
Reminds me of my old SC Ranger, at the time I told
I don't want or need a back seat. I specifically bought the truck as a dog hauler, but I'm also a dog rescue so I always have lots of dogs. I wish there was some kind of plastic drop in thing for the truck.

79082756_10218459323132903_4465868945265524736_o.jpg
I wonder if a police supply would have an option, they have seat deletes for k9 units.

Calmdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 tri-pearl white
Occupation
IT Technician
I just pulled the backseat out in mine, and replaced the storage trays with 3/8 Black Plastic cut to the same size as the trays.

Considering separating the seat back from the bottom, and reinstalling to reduce some road noise, and carpeting the plastic covers.

The added floor space is considerable, even if I were to put the back part of the seat in. The bottom part of the seat takes up a considerable amount of space...

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I was just looking at the seat bottom attachment and mechanism (super crew).
It looks like a really complicated system combined into the latch mechanism. Doesn't seem like there will be an easy way to separate the back and the bottom.

But, looks like the entire bench assembly may be held in by just a bracket with two bolts, on either side, so the whole thing will likely be pretty easy to remove.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Another thing to ponder is the center seat belt. To avoid safety issues, I'd probably split the seat back at the seat belt. Of course, brackets would have to be fabbed.
Sponsored