Crowdsource/fund a backseat solution

Calmdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 tri-pearl white
Occupation
IT Technician
I was just looking at the seat bottom attachment and mechanism (super crew).
It looks like a really complicated system combined into the latch mechanism. Doesn't seem like there will be an easy way to separate the back and the bottom.

But, looks like the entire bench assembly may be held in by just a bracket with two bolts, on either side, so the whole thing will likely be pretty easy to remove.
It's easy to remove; a T50 Torx and a socket set with an impact driver will get the back seat "loose". You'll have to pull the center seat belt anchor as well; I recommend you do that first, then the side seat belts, then the brackets.

IIRC, I relocated the side seat belts to a bracket hole. The center one will, until a better solution is developed, need to get re-anchored to it's original location. You can't unplug the electrics without setting off a passenger restraint warning every time you start the truck; so those sensors will have to stay plugged in.

If you have a B&O system, there's plenty of reason to want to cover the back area back up, particularly if you have dogs like me. Additionally, the road noise noticeably increases upon removal of the back seat.

Going to take a look at separating the seat this weekend.

You'll want to have two people taking the back seat out if you value the paint in the door-wells.
Sponsored

BowWow

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
It's easy to remove; a T50 Torx and a socket set with an impact driver will get the back seat "loose". You'll have to pull the center seat belt anchor as well; I recommend you do that first, then the side seat belts, then the brackets.

IIRC, I relocated the side seat belts to a bracket hole. The center one will, until a better solution is developed, need to get re-anchored to it's original location. You can't unplug the electrics without setting off a passenger restraint warning every time you start the truck; so those sensors will have to stay plugged in.

If you have a B&O system, there's plenty of reason to want to cover the back area back up, particularly if you have dogs like me. Additionally, the road noise noticeably increases upon removal of the back seat.

Going to take a look at separating the seat this weekend.

You'll want to have two people taking the back seat out if you value the paint in the door-wells.
Calmdown, anything further to report on this project? Were you able to separate the back from the bottom?

SalukiRanger

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SCrew 4x2 Lariat Ingot Silver Ebony 18 Tires Technology Pkg
Occupation
Retired
The 60/40 folding rear seat in my '04 Sport Trac made it, in my opinion, THE best dog hauling truck. It created a really big, flat surface. If the Ranger had that, and the power rear window that the Sport Trac had, it would be my perfect truck. That said, it's an awesome truck in every other way.
Amen, on the back seat and ESPECIALLY the vertical power rear window. Ford should have just rebadged the Sport Trac to the Ranger.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
good luck.
with Fords deep pockets, they were unable to find a solution that worked.
whether its because they tried, or did not try, you have some serious hurdles to overcome to keep a wide range of people happy with the result.
No Kidding. The driver's seat in my 2020 Ranger was so excruciating to sit in for more than brief periods that I had to do major surgery on it to avoid selling the truck. Other people like the seat. So it goes.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
good luck.
with Fords deep pockets, they were unable to find a solution that worked.
whether its because they tried, or did not try, you have some serious hurdles to overcome to keep a wide range of people happy with the result.
Hi Rp

I have it on good authority that the Ranger seats were not really designed for Ranger. They were designed by the airline industry with the center seat in mind. So there you have it.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Hi Rp

I have it on good authority that the Ranger seats were not really designed for Ranger. They were designed by the airline industry with the center seat in mind. So there you have it.
Well they certainly didn't use the design plans for Business Class seats that's for sure.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
When preparing to order my new Ranger I was quite interested in the back seat conundrum. Then it came to me that I really don't need a Crew Cab anyway. I then turned my attention to the Super Cab. In those investigations I found that the rear seats in the Super Cab are there for a 3 to 5 year old, or a medium size puppy dog. Then low, and behold I saw that I could get a XL with the few things I required, and could also delete the rears seats. Problem solved. Now if only Phil @P. A. Schilke could call one of his contacts, and get mine built I would be happy, happy, happy.;):thumbsup:
Sponsored