Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the floor safe that drops in below the passenger side back seat. Although I will post the instruction sheet it's simple enough to install.

Remove the plastic molded tray that came with your truck, you don't need a trim removal tool just a short flat prybar, slip it under the plastic lip of the tray NOT the nylon push in fastener, this avoids damaging the tray. Lift the rear out first and tilt it towards the front seat and lift out.

After reading your instructions be sure to set your new combination before you install it, it's alot easier to see and do.

There are 4 attachment points. 2 threaded bolts on the bottom of the top each welded on and on the outer side towards the truck door you have 2 holes. Here was my only issue. Whoever assembled my safe messed up and welded threaded steel inserts over each hole on the outside. The bolts that came with the safe are large diameter self tapping bolts that are too big to install in these holes. You'd break the bolt off in the thread trying to force them through, I called the manufacturer but they aren't open on a weekend. I left a detailed message. My simple work around was this- put the safe in the compartment front first then the rear, find a marking instrument like a narrow punch or even a framing nail and insert it through the holes and mark the thin sheet metal behind the safe wall.
Lift the safe back out
Take a 7/64" drill bit predrill 2 holes I marked, put the safe back in front first then lower the rear. Use 2 smaller diameter self tapping screws I had on hand that are just a little shorter and smaller diameter than the ones provided with the safe.

Install and hand tighten the 2 nuts placing them on the 2 welded on bolts under the lid. Then used my cordless driver and installed the 2 self. Taping screws into the side then used a 1/4 inch drive deep well socket and snugged the 2 nuts down on the top. Don't overtighten any of the 4 attachment points or you will snap a bolt.

This safe is heavy and sturdy. Seams are welded and the entire safe is black powder coated. The metal on the safe carcass looks to be about 3/16 of an inch thick, there's a heavy spring that opens the door easily and holds it open, the lid is sturdy but may be one thickness thinner its hard to tell since the coating on it looks thinner than the walls.

I'm delighted that this safe came available as opposed to the small one for the console. Our consoles are so tiny compared to my F150 I traded, space is a premium.

Don't have to order it from the dealer get it factory direct and save more cash although I'm not sure what shipping on a large heavy object would be, it may be a wash.

I was going to pay $250 (dealer cost) then 2 days after purchase I got a $499 discount on my Ziebart (was $999) and my dealer honored it as it came from them. I saved them $200 by suggesting give me the safe free instead and they jumped on it.

Had I had the dealer install this I probably wouldn't have gotten the literature with the manufacturers name and website to see how to save the forum some money.
Consolevault.Com on their website you can search for multiple vehicles that they make safes for.

At Ford the only difference in the under seat or console safe part number is the last digit, it's either an A or B see the picture of my box with the complete ford part number.

Mods I think my post would be a good sticky.

20190727_133115.jpg

20190727_133059.jpg

20190727_095026.jpg

20190727_095013.jpg

20190727_095002.jpg

20190727_094635.jpg

20190727_093848.jpg

20190727_093657.jpg

20190727_093644.jpg

20190727_093650.jpg

20190727_093639.jpg
Sponsored

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
How much usable space is there inside and how secure do you feel it is? Any chance someone could pry it out? Thanks, by the way!

OP
OP
Fawnbuster

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks!

I have no idea the square inches but being a cop I can say this. My wallet, a woman's small clutch purse 3 Glock 17s and some spare mags would easily fit if took a moment to stack them properly. I need to install my bedcover today but afterwards I will find items to put in side it and take pictures of it all. I bought a tiny square safe for my Charger console, it is keyed, I could put 2 Glock 26's and a small wallet in it. Durango configuration didn't allow me to put that safe in it but I kept it. We use steel consoles and everything drops in from the top

How much usable space is there inside and how secure do you feel it is? Any chance someone could pry it out? Thanks, by the way!

OP
OP
Fawnbuster

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry forgot reply about how secure. Being that it's under the seat and the thief would need to know how to lift the seat up plus the way its made I trust it. We go to alot of concerts at outdoor venues, I completely trust it with my pistol in it while parked. A thief would have to listen to my alarm for a very long time and have a stout prybar and hammer to destroy the lid to get in. The 2 holes in the front are concealed by the carpet, not sure why they have them but only a child can get a hand in and you won't pull anything out through the holes it's like a monkey trap, a fist wouldn't come out. If I decide I want to cover the holes I will remove the safe and double side tape a small piece of steel over the outside and drop it back in.

OP
OP
Fawnbuster

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Also if you want to leave it unlocked you just turn the knob and it opens then when you want it secure you just roll the tumblers

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update on this, Mike. I like this a whole lot better than filling up the center console with a safe and like that this is better concealed as well. One more item I may have to buy for my truck.

OP
OP
Fawnbuster

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
My pleasure on the write up, anytime one of us on here has the ability to help a fellow owner out by tackling a mod and finding the smartest, easiest and most cost effective way to get the job done its a win win for all of us! Work smarter not harder.

JDCinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2013 Ford Explorer, 1977 BMW R100/7
Nice write-up. The picture may be deceptive, but it looks like the space under the seat is significantly larger than the stock plastic tray allows for.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
My pleasure on the write up, anytime one of us on here has the ability to help a fellow owner out by tackling a mod and finding the smartest, easiest and most cost effective way to get the job done its a win win for all of us! Work smarter not harder.
:like:

OP
OP
Fawnbuster

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Correct on the space, but with it being weird angles, my guess is that the designer settled on a square inch of space that was cost effective for Ford and a hope that owners would be happy. It serves its purpose but it sure would be nice to either have a flat floor like the F150 or have a bigger compartment on the driver side, the hole in front of the jack wrench is now filled up with rolled up ratchet straps

Nice write-up. The picture may be deceptive, but it looks like the space under the seat is significantly larger than the stock plastic tray allows for.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
Correct on the space, but with it being weird angles, my guess is that the designer settled on a square inch of space that was cost effective for Ford and a hope that owners would be happy. It serves its purpose but it sure would be nice to either have a flat floor like the F150 or have a bigger compartment on the driver side, the hole in front of the jack wrench is now filled up with rolled up ratchet straps
I would also love some more storage space since i like to keep a lot of junk in my truck. Currently i've got An E-Tool, a roll of ducktape, 4x 500lb ratchet straps, 2x1000lb ratchet straps, 200 feet of 550 paracord, and a tarp under my back seat. I also crammed my ice-scraper and a coat between the seat back and the C-pillar.

Unfortunately looks like we cant get much more space on the driver's side due to the fuel tank being under there.

Now if only i could get a mount for my binoculars somewhere...

OP
OP
Fawnbuster

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I would also love some more storage space since i like to keep a lot of junk in my truck. Currently i've got An E-Tool, a roll of ducktape, 4x 500lb ratchet straps, 2x1000lb ratchet straps, 200 feet of 550 paracord, and a tarp under my back seat. I also crammed my ice-scraper and a coat between the seat back and the C-pillar.

Unfortunately looks like we cant get much more space on the driver's side due to the fuel tank being under there.

Now if only i could get a mount for my binoculars somewhere...
Didn't realize the gas tank was there. I just posted a in the diy thread, found a great and cheap storage option for the bed.

20190809_135301.jpg

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Thanks!

I have no idea the square inches but being a cop I can say this. My wallet, a woman's small clutch purse 3 Glock 17s and some spare mags would easily fit if took a moment to stack them properly. I need to install my bedcover today but afterwards I will find items to put in side it and take pictures of it all. I bought a tiny square safe for my Charger console, it is keyed, I could put 2 Glock 26's and a small wallet in it. Durango configuration didn't allow me to put that safe in it but I kept it. We use steel consoles and everything drops in from the top
I agree its worth the money, I ended up going with console vault direct and they gave me a Vet discount and said they would extend it to any civilian 1st responders...very cool! just does not have the blue-oval logo.
Sponsored