Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 302A
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

Looking at buying an Intrusion Beam mod kit, there are many different kits available. (BDS, Fabtech, Ready Lift...)

My question is, are they all equivalent in terms of clearance gain, installation and also in retaining the structural integrity of the beams?

Cheers
Sponsored

sam793

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Would also like to know this. Putting on 33s but would rather replace the crash bars with aftermarket ones than have nothing there.

OP
OP
Qc_Gold

Qc_Gold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 302A
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Would also like to know this. Putting on 33s but would rather replace the crash bars with aftermarket ones than have nothing there.
I installed the Pro Comp big tire kit and I'm happy with it. The intrusion beams are very well designed and gave me the necessary clearance to run my 33s.

Cheers

sam793

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic Ford Ranger STX 4x4
I installed the Pro Comp big tire kit and I'm happy with it. The intrusion beams are very well designed and gave me the necessary clearance to run my 33s.

Cheers
How was the install for the procomp bars? Did you need to remove the bumper or fender or did they slide in easily?

OP
OP
Qc_Gold

Qc_Gold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 302A
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How was the install for the procomp bars? Did you need to remove the bumper or fender or did they slide in easily?
I did remove the front bumper, not a tough job at all and I'm glad i did. You can see from the pictures in my showcase ( https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/showcase/canadian-2020-ford-ranger.570/ ), I put some tape to mark the location on the bumper to make sure I was reinstalling at the same location. With the bumper removed, you just remove the bolts and slide out the beams, very easy.

For the rear beams, I cut as much as i could with a cutting wheel and finished them with a sawzall. I went thru 4 blades...not easy but doable.

Cheers

20210320_105713.jpg

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I did remove the front bumper, not a tough job at all and I'm glad i did. You can see from the pictures in my showcase ( https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/showcase/canadian-2020-ford-ranger.570/ ), I put some tape to mark the location on the bumper to make sure I was reinstalling at the same location. With the bumper removed, you just remove the bolts and slide out the beams, very easy.

For the rear beams, I cut as much as i could with a cutting wheel and finished them with a sawzall. I went thru 4 blades...not easy but doable.

Cheers

20210320_105713.jpg
Nice, what kind of wheels(including specs) and tires you have? I'm looking into 295 70R17 but not sure of the wheels.

OP
OP
Qc_Gold

Qc_Gold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 302A
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

azdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
System Administrator I
I wonder how safe all these intrusion beam replacements really are. Just being a thicker guage of metal doesn't mean they're safe or safer than the OEM ones Ford spent a ton of money testing the safety of our trucks. The OEM intrusion beams are designed to work as a system to help keep us safe in the event of a crash. Did the aftermarket companies do the same testing? You don't know based on the information on their websites. I looked up the lift kit mentioned in this thread and the FabTech (at least I think it was FabTech) intrusion beams and neither company mentions anything about safety testing their intrusion beams and I'd almost be willing to be that the other companies that sell intrusion beams don't mention their safety testing either.

I'd be careful with these aftermarket intrusion beams and question a company selling them on their safety testing if any. It sucks that the intrusion beams are the weak link in determining tire size we can put on our trucks. Is your life or the life of a loved one worth putting bigger tires on your Ranger?

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I wonder how safe all these intrusion beam replacements really are. Just being a thicker guage of metal doesn't mean they're safe or safer than the OEM ones Ford spent a ton of money testing the safety of our trucks. The OEM intrusion beams are designed to work as a system to help keep us safe in the event of a crash. Did the aftermarket companies do the same testing? You don't know based on the information on their websites. I looked up the lift kit mentioned in this thread and the FabTech (at least I think it was FabTech) intrusion beams and neither company mentions anything about safety testing their intrusion beams and I'd almost be willing to be that the other companies that sell intrusion beams don't mention their safety testing either.

I'd be careful with these aftermarket intrusion beams and question a company selling them on their safety testing if any. It sucks that the intrusion beams are the weak link in determining tire size we can put on our trucks. Is your life or the life of a loved one worth putting bigger tires on your Ranger?
Yeah, this has already been debated somewhat. No aftermarket company has performed testing and if one has, the data has not been released.

When it comes to lifting a truck and putting larger tires on, some people just don't care what it takes or how it affects the safety. The aftermarket thrives on these consumers. The owners who remove and discard their crash bars are an example.

Then there are people who look at a product and take a calculated risk based on the limited information they have. That is the targeted audience for the aftermarket crash bars.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Big tires takes the impact for the deleted beams...I'm guessing that's Ford's thinking for the Raptor? ?

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

This logic can be applied to any modification from stock. Suspension? Not been crash tested like Ford/OEM. Bumpers? Not been crash tested like Ford/OEM. Oversized tires? Not been crash tested like Ford/OEM. The list continues. I get what you're saying, but aftermarket comes with risks. You have to evaluate what you're comfortable with. I crashed a Mustang at 115 mph (that's a story for another time) that had a Ricaro racing seat and a 5 point harness. Neither of those is street legal (at least here) and don't have the amount of testing that a standard seat and 3 point belt have but - I would be dollars to donuts that I'm alive because of them.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase