Costco says 265/70R17 will rub and won’t install them. Help.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I had 10" wide rear wheels on my mustang cobra an Costco wouldn't put 275 wide tires on. Their policy said stock size only. I think all the wholesale clubs follow this for liability reasons. Sometimes you catch a deal at the wholesale place that's hard to beat. I had Michelin tires installed on my fusion for $406 out the door. $100 instant rebate an free mount and balance that weekend. They have a limited selection compared to Discount tire or Tire rack.
I went with discount tire.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i run mine at 35 and things seem fine. wearing evenly. ive been wanting to do that chalk test thing i saw in a thread here.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Go find the tire fitment master thread. Print it out - all of it, some 87 pages. Then print this out - currently at three pages. See if it will convince him that he needs to put the tires on your truck.

If not, there's a reason Costco is cheaper and has a better warrantly - because they are risk averse and make decisions at corporate so they don't have to hire independent thinkers. Maybe too much so in this case but that's their business model.

TheRoushRanger046

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Roush Ranger
I’ve been following all the threads here and came to the conclusion with everyone else that 265/70 tires would fit fine and won’t rub even with stock suspension. I came to Costco last week to have them installed and they wouldn’t but said I should get my fox suspension and level done first and then they would do them. Came back today and they said no there’s no way we can fit them on there they’re going to rub against the upper control arms. And I do agree there is very little space between the control arm and the tire now. My Sport came with 255/65 17s.

I’m not sure what to do.
No offense. Dump the Costco membership. One of the worst companies to work for and the people there don’t care about keeping their members because of the amount of people that complain then keep going there.

Leave them to rot in hell.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Arg ok. I’m sorry to have wasted this thread then. Costco’s warranty is just hard to beat.
So I guess I should refund and go somewhere else?
If you can get to a Discount Tire, I highly recommend them.....You can't beat them, especially if you buy the certificates for your tires on purchase. It's usually about $25 to $30/Tire but they come with a "no questions asked replacement" for anything. Last week I got a nail in the sidewall of a tire. The only thing I paid was $30 for a certificate for the new tire.
BTW...I have a Costco and Sam's Club membership but still buy ALL my tires from Discount and have since I was 22yo (58 now....;) )
Very hard to beat their prices.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
No offense. Dump the Costco membership. One of the worst companies to work for and the people there don’t care about keeping their members because of the amount of people that complain then keep going there.

Leave them to rot in hell.
But how do you REALLY feel?

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
If you can get to a Discount Tire, I highly recommend them.....You can't beat them, especially if you buy the certificates for your tires on purchase. It's usually about $25 to $30/Tire but they come with a "no questions asked replacement" for anything. Last week I got a nail in the sidewall of a tire. The only thing I paid was $30 for a certificate for the new tire.
BTW...I have a Costco and Sam's Club membership but still buy ALL my tires from Discount and have since I was 22yo (58 now....;) )
Very hard to beat their prices.
That is true. When my truck was new I had a nail in my sidewall on my stock tires. Discount Tire called the tire manufacturer and the manufacturer replaced the tire so they gave me a new one there on the spot, then I bought a certificate for that tire lol. Still have the tires for sale. And wheels.

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
they pretty much will replace your tires for free (or prorate based on tread ware) for almost any reason due to flat or damage.

I’ve used it on multiple cars over years and they are really good honoring it.
Discount Tire/America's Tire has this exact same warranty but they are called "certificates" or "certifications" for your tire. You also get lifetime rotation and balance for free, not to mention their customer service is usually unmatched.

I love Costco, but I'll never go anywhere else for tires. They mounted my 33s with no questions asked.

I am glad you finally got them on, they look great! If you ever rub just throw on a tiny spacer and call it a day :)

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Well they are on now. It’s true there is about the tip of my finger distance between the tire and the uca. I don’t think they’ll flex much freeway but when going off-road and dropping the psi we’ll see what happens.
Everyone on here has said no issues so I can’t imagine I’m the only one who’ll have them lol

he wrote a line on the warranty dock that they won’t cover damage from sidewalk rubbing. Oh well no biggie. Love the look, though maybe I will get some new wheels to move the tire out asmudge under the fender. I like that look.

7E037752-09DD-4B8A-B21D-7FCB7390B7E7.jpeg

679EC3DA-E464-4B7E-888A-F464EC104828.jpeg

2EA887DE-FB85-4CEE-A70D-5CB6AF1A0D40.jpeg

F45A586F-728E-48F2-A166-474929EFB114.jpeg

350019E5-030C-4759-A198-2C7C7235FEBB.jpeg
That's normal looking...exactly like when I had my OEM wheel set with 265...

OP
OP
ben8jam

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Well, lesson learned, next time discount tire. There's one near me also.

I really don't buy anything at costco as it usually isn't that much cheaper for normal things. But their fake rogaine (don't judge) and prescription dog meds are hard to beat (petMeds.com is comp price but you have to buy their annual memberhsip).

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Gas typically .20 cent cheaper than anyone else... Yeah not dumping that membership and where else can I buy a pack of 1000 TP rolls?
don't forget to pick up a six pack of pianos.