Costco says 265/70R17 will rub and won’t install them. Help.

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I’ve been following all the threads here and came to the conclusion with everyone else that 265/70 tires would fit fine and won’t rub even with stock suspension. I came to Costco last week to have them installed and they wouldn’t but said I should get my fox suspension and level done first and then they would do them. Came back today and they said no there’s no way we can fit them on there they’re going to rub against the upper control arms. And I do agree there is very little space between the control arm and the tire now. My Sport came with 255/65 17s.

I’m not sure what to do.
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
discount tire mounted 265 70 17 bfg ko2s for me with no issues or drama at all and my truck was 100% oem bone stock at that time. nothing rubs or has problems. i will admit that just eyeballing it appears to be a no go but it is deceptive. they fit fine. i just told them what i wanted, agreed on a fair price and left with new rubbers lol. I think some places are bound to whatever the computer tells them is ok to mount for liability reasons etc. and i feel thats understandable from a business aspect but stinks for you as a customer.
ill add that my truck is not a pavement princess, its off road and wheeled at least weekly and still no rubs or issues from the tire size.

OP
OP
ben8jam

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Arg ok. I’m sorry to have wasted this thread then. Costco’s warranty is just hard to beat.
So I guess I should refund and go somewhere else?

Reactions: Doc

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Arg ok. I’m sorry to have wasted this thread then. Costco’s warranty is just hard to beat.
@Discount Tire is excellent if you have any nearby.

OC4095

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Factory Automation Engineer, Auto School Grad, Car Audio Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of shops go by what the computer says and wont even attempt. I had this issue upgrading from 265/65/r17 stock to 285/70r17 mudders. I got around it by buying them at one shop and installing at another. Discount tires didn't even blink when i asked them to install, I wish I had purchased through them but it just didn't work out that way.

They definitely rub but not to the point where its un-driveable. I had already read many posts and knew what was ahead of me with dealing with the crash bars, I just chose to deal with them after installing.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I would.

I'd also jump up to 255/75s. I have 255/75s on my leveled truck and I wish I had gone with 33s honestly. Even just a level makes 32s seem smallish.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Go to Discount Tire...

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
I’ve been following all the threads here and came to the conclusion with everyone else that 265/70 tires would fit fine and won’t rub even with stock suspension. I came to Costco last week to have them installed and they wouldn’t but said I should get my fox suspension and level done first and then they would do them. Came back today and they said no there’s no way we can fit them on there they’re going to rub against the upper control arms. And I do agree there is very little space between the control arm and the tire now. My Sport came with 255/65 17s.

I’m not sure what to do.
Costco is a joke unless you are getting OEM tires. Years ago I asked for a quote on tires for my 66 Mustang and they would not sell me the tires I had because they were not OEM size.

OP
OP
ben8jam

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I went back and pleaded my case and showed him all these responses. He said he’d do it but he gaurentees they’ll rub and that it’ll end up voiding the Costco warranty.

is it possible the UCAs are different between models? I doubt they’d do that on the production floor, but the space was very narrow.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I went back and pleaded my case and showed him all these responses. He said he’d do it but he gaurentees they’ll rub and that it’ll end up voiding the Costco warranty.

is it possible the UCAs are different between models? I doubt they’d do that on the production floor, but the space was very narrow.
Not possible...all 5G Rangers have same UCA...

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician

I’m not sure what to do.
Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else. No sense in waisting time

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase

did you buy the ranger new or used? if used then maybe the other owner changed out the UCAs else they are the same
Sponsored