Threads
Reaction score
Website
jameselectronics.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4x4 FX4, 2011 CRV,1998 Ford E250 super
Occupation
contractor
I pay close attention to CR read it closely and cannot help but be amazed by how a product is either great- and then- no good ie: Tesla model S
What has me concerned is how they make these points about the Ranger:
The ride is Stiff and choppy- my truck rides great- are there moments of stiffness of a FX-4 yes but overall the ride is very nice
Handling is clumsy- right- every other review says the handling is very good and I agree
poor scores in power equipment... I have not had a single issue
here is the kicker
Medium score on Usablility-while the GM twins get double greens up while the Ranger hauls and tows more- not sure what they mean- also they give the Ridgeline Gladiator and Tacoma single green arrows up in this same catagory.

They show overall 2020 Ranger OVERALL RELIABILITY- as a single green arrow up Not bad...

I would recommend Ranger owners would report there findings good or bad to CR.
Check out the attachment I cut it from a few areas of the magazine.
Sponsored

Attachments

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
I found this, “That's why Consumer Reports has always rated each car using a group of assessments, either data-driven or drawn from the experiences of our testers and members.”

That tells me that on some cars they use data and on others it is just opinion. It is not a great standard to use when rating something especially vehicles. Tacoma has been out for a decade longer than the Ranger essentially, so much more data.

I tend to only watch certain youtube reviewers now and I will watch the same person review all of the midsize trucks for example. You can tell who has what bias and take everything with a grain of salt. I test drove the Tacoma and Colorado and here I am with a Ranger so it can’t be that accurate lol (although the stock FX4 shocks are horrible)

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Consumer Reports, in my opinion, is not what it used to be. I've seen too many instances of my personal experience being exactly opposite of theirs. Not creditable to me any more.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Like Tire Rack, Consumer Reports does some in-house testing, but the volume of non-professional, opinion-based reporting is much greater than the results of empirical testing. They each have value, but you have to read carefully enough to understand the source of their information and give it the consideration that it deserves. CR plainly identifies when data is sourced from polls of its members. Members are constantly bombarded with requests for information on their satisfaction with purchased goods, and this collected data is part of the product rating process.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Consumer Reports, in my opinion, is not what it used to be. I've seen too many instances of my personal experience being exactly opposite of theirs. Not creditable to me any more.
Consumer Reports is a biased rag and has been for at least the 45-50 years which I have seen it.
This is true for almost any product which they cover , but especially automobiles.
It is so bad as to be random gibberish on its best day.
Often,... a bad review, carefully read, could lead me to consider the purchase of the item in question.
My Advice... find better sources of info, buy at random, or take a S.W.A.G. at your next purchase.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase

I agree. That is exactly my experience.

Also I quit subscribing years ago but I still get these emails.

1617676807390.png

NO. Action is not required on my part, they just want my money!

MTBranger

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4, 1994 Miata K-swap
Occupation
Design Engineer/ Racecars
From my experience with them in the auto industry we would often not see their objective and subjective tests not make much sense to what we saw internally. I don't put much weight in what they publish.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
The best opinion is your own...with experience. Everybody has an agenda, everybody has been paid. Any information is usable, the usable is the applied...

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
For me forums like this are much better because you're getting real world reviews and not some bias review from a magazine. When I heard the Ranger was coming back to N'America I was dead set on waiting until the second year as I don't trust first year vehicles. But after spending countless hours of reading here and then test driving two different Rangers I felt comfortable purchasing mine. Yes there were some problems but they were isolated ones like a bad batch of injectors but nothing major like drivetrain issues. I trust real world reviews over some biased magazine who usually caters to those who pay the most to them for their advertising.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Everybody knows the adage, "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one." and I believe that. Like @ryyck alludes to, if there's skin in the game it will never be unbiased. I actually get a little bent out of shape when reading reviews so I just make up my own mind unless everyone says something is a piece of crap. Hell, people give lousy reviews for a product based on how the delivery was made.

Do your research and make your own educated decision and that goes for anything.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Consumer reports belongs in the outhouse.

Palibouss

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford ranger
I pay close attention to CR read it closely and cannot help but be amazed by how a product is either great- and then- no good ie: Tesla model S
What has me concerned is how they make these points about the Ranger:
The ride is Stiff and choppy- my truck rides great- are there moments of stiffness of a FX-4 yes but overall the ride is very nice
Handling is clumsy- right- every other review says the handling is very good and I agree
poor scores in power equipment... I have not had a single issue
here is the kicker
Medium score on Usablility-while the GM twins get double greens up while the Ranger hauls and tows more- not sure what they mean- also they give the Ridgeline Gladiator and Tacoma single green arrows up in this same catagory.

They show overall 2020 Ranger OVERALL RELIABILITY- as a single green arrow up Not bad...

I would recommend Ranger owners would report there findings good or bad to CR.
Check out the attachment I cut it from a few areas of the magazine.
Haters gonna hate. Nothing like built ford tough

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I hate those who call others haters. The problem with people who think that they are so right is when they arent. Science is good opinion not so much. IMHO :)
Sponsored