First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
When I'm out in the country the auto high beams make me think something's taken over the truck... but I'm okay with it.
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Hi Ranger1701

Is your truck lifted? As I recall from other posts that some folks needed to adjust the low beams after a lift. If not, it might be better to get the dealer involved in making an adjustment to factory specs. Since wife and I are rarely out at night I have little experience with my Lariat lights at night.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

I agree with Phil. Let the dealer check the adjustment since it's still under warranty.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
People need to call down with the flashing, lights are soo much brighter nowadays and I quit flashin people a long time ago. Driving my ford focus and I flashed the wrong person (in a truck). That thing lit up like the surface of the sun. Probly 50 inch bar + a couple in the bumper. I was seeing spots for hours.
I think there's some truth to that. I've backed off quite a bit over the years on flashing and try to tolerate the brighter lighting of newer cars as long as they seem properly aligned, and when I do flash someone in a really bad case, I usually keep it to a quick flash. Some people, though, seem like they're just out to teach everyone a lesson by flashing almost everyone or turning their brights on solid rather than flashing. I've also reduced my tendency to flash in response to a flash if my high beams aren't on. If it starts happening too often, though, I'll check the alignment. Also, as someone mentioned, auto high beams can sometimes appear as flashing someone, so that has made me more cognizant about not flashing in response to a flash.

There are some gray areas though. Projector enclosures have a very sharp cutoff, and bright LEDs or HIDs usually work well in those, so maybe the OP's Lariat just has an alignment problem, but reflector enclosures are usually designed for halogen bulbs and don't have as sharp of a cutoff. They leak more light above the cutoff, so if you retrofit the low beams on an XLT or XL with LEDs or HIDs as many of us have done, you need to make sure your alignment is good or you may be annoying a lot of drivers and find yourself getting flashed more than usual.

Last edited:

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Yup. Had this happen a few weeks ago with our Lariat when we were behind schedule leaving for vacation. We don't usually drive after dark when towing our camper and we were getting flashed quite a bit. I noticed that our low beams were hitting some lower highway signs. Our weight-shifting hitch has the truck nearly level, but the rear is still significantly lower than normal. Will have to adjust something before we plan to drive after dark again.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Just wanted add. Something I have noticed is the past few years with the ever increasing number of projector lamps. Since there is such a sharp cutoff that going in and out of the cutoff line looks like they are flashing, due to bumps n such.
Not saying that is whats happening to you, its just something have notice lately.

Forrest Pennington

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same problem. I was following a friend home one night and he and his wife said "my lights were obnoxiously bright". I was also getting flashed alot oncoming. My fix was parking on a level surface about 15 feet away with headlights pointing against a flat wall on low beams. Mark a spot on the wall at the top of what appears to be the top of the illumination. Measure down 3" from your first pencil mark and adjust your beams down to them. The pencil marks will keep your beam even on both sides. Adjustments were easy. Open the hood and look above the headlight assembly. You will see an adjustment "wheel" that can be turned one way or the other for adjustment. Easy peezy.
I found the 3" adjustment at 15' was just right without losing my night vision.

Deleted member 1634

I had the same problem. I was following a friend home one night and he and his wife said "my lights were obnoxiously bright". I was also getting flashed alot oncoming. My fix was parking on a level surface about 15 feet away with headlights pointing against a flat wall on low beams. Mark a spot on the wall at the top of what appears to be the top of the illumination. Measure down 3" from your first pencil mark and adjust your beams down to them. The pencil marks will keep your beam even on both sides. Adjustments were easy. Open the hood and look above the headlight assembly. You will see an adjustment "wheel" that can be turned one way or the other for adjustment. Easy peezy.
I found the 3" adjustment at 15' was just right without losing my night vision.
Were your headlights misaligned or do you think it is just inherent to the design?

Robert Scott

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford, Ranger Supercrew Lariat
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, retired

Raptor-EU

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puraleña.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor
Occupation
A lot of nothing.
Vehicle Showcase
Same issue here in Europe, but then again I con look on top of almost any cars roof. Hey the other day a Porsche followed me and when we stopped at a traffic light, he was suddenly nowhere to find. Nor mirrors, neither by looking over my shoulders. LOL.
20191217_131120.jpg
20191217_144443.jpg
20191123_140632.jpg

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Same issue here in Europe, but then again I con look on top of almost any cars roof. Hey the other day a Porsche followed me and when we stopped at a traffic light, he was suddenly nowhere to find. Nor mirrors, neither by looking over my shoulders. LOL.
Reminds me of a time I almost killed a guy in a camaro when he tried to tailgate me, and then beat me to a lane change, when I was driving a 5-ton. I thought he had taken a turn, but he was so far up my butt I didn't see him, I put on my signal and he tried to beat me to the lane change, I almost ran him over.

Raptor-EU

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puraleña.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor
Occupation
A lot of nothing.
Vehicle Showcase
Reminds me of a time I almost killed a guy in a camaro when he tried to tailgate me, and then beat me to a lane change, when I was driving a 5-ton. I thought he had taken a turn, but he was so far up my butt I didn't see him, I put on my signal and he tried to beat me to the lane change, I almost ran him over.
I pressed like, but you understand that it is not for the dangerous situation.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Ok, so I have to admit that I live in the city, and my brights are hardly ever on. However, I'm from a rural area, my in-laws live near there, and my camp is rural. I took my first trip of any length at night yesterday, a few hours north, and I got flashed all the damn time. To top it off, these headlights suck on backroads and off-road. I can't tell you how many times I had to stop before a curve because I couldn't see jack off to the side.

Do all the Rangers have LEDs, or just the Lariat? I really wanted an XL, but the wife wanted the Lariat. I should have stuck with the XL.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Ok, so I have to admit that I live in the city, and my brights are hardly ever on. However, I'm from a rural area, my in-laws live near there, and my camp is rural. I took my first trip of any length at night yesterday, a few hours north, and I got flashed all the damn time. To top it off, these headlights suck on backroads and off-road. I can't tell you how many times I had to stop before a curve because I couldn't see jack off to the side.

Do all the Rangers have LEDs, or just the Lariat? I really wanted an XL, but the wife wanted the Lariat. I should have stuck with the XL.
Just the lariat, the other models have halogens in reflector housings (not sure about 2021 models, if they're different). Some of us have upgraded to aftermarket LEDs. I agree the beam patterns are okay on-road, but off-road or dark backroads, it's probably good to have some auxilliary lights. Been too busy to do that yet but will at some point.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Just the lariat, the other models have halogens in reflector housings (not sure about 2021 models, if they're different). Some of us have upgraded to aftermarket LEDs. I agree the beam patterns are okay on-road, but off-road or dark backroads, it's probably good to have some auxilliary lights. Been too busy to do that yet but will at some point.
yeah, I feel stupid having those, but I might have to look at a set. I don't know of any other mount points other than the hood hinge.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
yeah, I feel stupid having those, but I might have to look at a set. I don't know of any other mount points other than the hood hinge.
I'm not sure if you're referring to light bars, but yeah, they can be a bit big and unwieldy if you're not into that sort of thing. What I'm looking at is more like the ones linked below. Due to being smaller, there are more mounting options and it should be possible to place them so they end up looking more like extra high beams.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/off-road-auxiliary-led/led-pods.html
Sponsored