Considering a SuperCab, Anybody Regret Buying a SuperCab?

TimberWolf2018

First Name
TW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, crew,
I had a supercab in my F150. Just my wife and dog and I so I figured we were safe. Hated it!
Super crew all the way now baby.
Sponsored

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
My last truck, a 2010 Tacoma was an access cab (Same as a supercab). I only had 2 regrets with the setup. There is no room for more than 2 passengers unless they are children and loading groceries in the rear area was a pain. The doors open in opposite directions making it difficult to load in a tight parking lot.

If you can live with those limitations it's a good choice.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
My present Ranger is a Y2K SuperCab, being the original owner for all it's life, I've leaned to live with it's shortcomings, including the suicide rear doors.
Thanks for the response !

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
We opted for a SuperCab XLT and so far have no regrets, though we've only had it for a month. We absolutely needed the 6-ft. bed since we have an 80" long Four Wheel pop-up camper that we want to use with it, and after a lot of research, we decided it just wouldn't work acceptably well in a 5-ft. SuperCrew.

It is replacing a '93 Ranger extended cab (I don't recall if they called it a SuperCab back then), with no rear doors and tiny side-facing fold-out rear seats, so while I can see the disadvantage compared to real doors, the suicide doors are an upgrade for us compared to no doors!

Besides what others have said, there's one advantage to the SuperCab that I don't think anyone has mentioned. We opted for the package that also provides the sliding rear window. In the SuperCab, I can reach back from the driver seat to open, close, or adjust the window, as I was able to do in the old '93. I wasn't able to do that in the SuperCrew. Not a huge thing, and certainly not something to base the decision on, but a nice side benefit :)

Spiritfish

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Supercab, Lightning Blue
Love my Supercab and it's 6' bed length...back seat is great for rifle...of course I have no friends or kids so the crew was superfluous.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
This is the one thing that left me a little pissed at Ford. It's not Lariat that gives you the extra speakers, it's the 501A package. I have no problem with them not including that in the supercab because the sub physically won't fit behind the seat (there is no "behind the seat"). BUT ford charges the same price for 501A in the supercab and supercrew, even though the supercab doesn't get the speaker upgrade (or HD radio--and there's no good reason at all for that). A first world problem, but just seems like a shabby move by Ford.
I love my Lariat SuperCab and luckily I did research here because the dealer was misinformed about how they drop off the B/O off that package when ordering with the SC and would have been not happy. There are some good tips for speaker swaps and a sub thread on here. My kids are grown other than a road trip I don't miss being able to carry and adult in the back seat. I would have gotten a standard cab if I could have and really don't like the look of the CrewCab in comparison to the SC. I would buy the SC again.

DapperDean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Greetings all,
New member here and in the market for a 2020 Lariat 4x2, but I am torn between which body style, supercab or crew cab.
I really do not need a full 4 door truck and am wondering if any supercab owners are experiencing buyer's remorse about owning a supercab versus a crew cab.
Any advice/suggestions are welcome !
I’m going to lease a 2020 Lariat in December. Being single with dogs, I was wondering if a SuperCab would do. Since I’ll lease, resale isn’t an issue. But if you’re buying, go for the SuperCrew. It’s what 95% of buyers want. Also, since the two configurations are the same length overall, I don’t need the extra bed length of the SuperCab. Finally, it really is a lot easier to access the rear with the SuperCrew.

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
This is going to sound bad but, I wanted a Supercab so that people didn't start begging me to drive everywhere. This way, if they want to go somewhere and want me to drive, then I know they REALLY need to go somewhere, because they have to fit in those uncomfortable seats.

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
No regrets with the super cab here. I bought it as a work truck and have no use for the back seats. The first thing I did was to remove the back seats to make more room for storage. I love the fact that I do have doors to access said storage though (unlike my 2011 ranger extended cab). A 5 foot bed (crew cab) would be worthless for a work truck in my opinion.

20190728_182247.jpg

20190728_182304.jpg
How did you do away with the seat backs? I understand they are important for air management when opening and closing doors. On another string, I read where the replacement parts are around $300 - unreasonable to me.

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
I love my supercab. I had much more room in the back of my former F150 but with a bed-cap, I never put anything in the back seat but my hat. Strictly cargo or dogs go in the dog hammock slung between the headrests. The seats themselves are in a bag on a garage shelf.

My wife has a four-door Escape for the vanishingly rare instances when we have company without their own or a rental car.

P7301483.JPG

kjbeggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4
No regrets with the super cab here. I bought it as a work truck and have no use for the back seats. The first thing I did was to remove the back seats to make more room for storage. I love the fact that I do have doors to access said storage though (unlike my 2011 ranger extended cab). A 5 foot bed (crew cab) would be worthless for a work truck in my opinion.

20190728_182247.jpg

20190728_182304.jpg
That's a great work-truck setup

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
I previously owned an '05 Ranger extended cab w/5 1/2' box. For me, the biggest pain was loading stuff behind the front seats because the rear doors only opened 90 degrees. The F-150 rear doors open 170 degrees. Try a F-150 rear door and see what I mean. That wider opening is a really big deal when loading anything, particularly when in a parking lot and someone is next to you. Unfortunately, the new Ranger's rear doors on the Supercab only open 90 degrees.

I really wanted the 6' box but the 90 degree opening rear doors were a de-limiter so went with the Super Crew instead. I do not - yet - regret it, but then I haven't had a reason to haul larger loads.

Nothing is perfect and the full 4-door has it's own set of issues. The main one was not being able to fold the seat back flat for storage. Really an oversight by Ford.

It boils down to a couple of things. Is this your only vehicle? Do you EVER carry more than two people? If it's kids, remember, they grow up faster than you think and it won't be long before they need more room than the Supercab has. How often do you haul stuff requiring the 6' box? Only you can answer those questions. Do what is right for YOU. For me and so far either one is the right choice and if the rear doors on the Supercab opened the full 170 degrees that's what I would be driving now instead of the Super Crew.

JackK

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier - Ranger on order
I've owned 3 supercabs over almost 30 years, one old Ranger and two Frontiers. No one has ever ridden on the back seats. Now you get a discount for removing the seats and there is more room for storage.

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
How did you do away with the seat backs? I understand they are important for air management when opening and closing doors. On another string, I read where the replacement parts are around $300 - unreasonable to me.
It's true, once you remove the back seats, the truck will be noisy as hell unless you spend the 300 bucks for the new trim pieces. If Ford would offer the seat delete package on the XLT or Lariat, you would be about 550 bucks ahead of the game with the fact that you would not have to buy the trim pieces and they give about a 250 dollar credit for the back seats. The good news is that the seat back lower mounting loops make for handy bungee cord attachment points.
I had the plan to remove the back seats before I ordered the truck, so I just bit the bullet.

Rich

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buel, Moto Guzzi, Z3, '19 Ranger xlt super cab blue
Occupation
Retired
It's true, once you remove the back seats, the truck will be noisy as hell unless you spend the 300 bucks for the new trim pieces. If Ford would offer the seat delete package on the XLT or Lariat, you would be about 550 bucks ahead of the game with the fact that you would not have to buy the trim pieces and they give about a 250 dollar credit for the back seats. The good news is that the seat back lower mounting loops make for handy bungee cord attachment points.
I had the plan to remove the back seats before I ordered the truck, so I just bit the bullet.[/QUOTE
Sponsored