First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
The funny thing is…. Im almost positive most people are checking their oil incorrectly. The part where the manual says to let it sit for 15min before checking, im sure most arent waiting near that or even aware of it lol
my local dealer service MANAGER told me today on the phone that checking it 15 mins after HOT is just a guideline. Even though it's in the manual. He then told me that the proper way to check the oil is 4 hours after shutting it off or COLD. so either he has no clue or he wants to avoid a visit from me for my oil level issue OR ford made an error in the manual. I honestly think it can be either one of the 3.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
this is the bandaid to the problem

how does water get on top of the engine in the first place? thats the big question. and enough water to puddle, cause corrosion and not evaporate off.
we have a cover already, its called a HOOD.
so, water has to be getting in there from a different route. alot of it.
so plunking a cover on top will reduce water from the top, that the HOOD isnt stopping...

other ways for water to get in and around the engine, will still get around the cover.

this is just some dumbass engineer fix that isnt solving the root problem.
wait till later when some random turbo failure causes heat issues and another TSB to remove it.
Ever been to a car wash? Well first you have high pressure spray from every conceivable angle. Then as you move along the air curtains start up. After ample bearing from scrubbers. That’s plenty of positive pressure to blow water from hood, windshield and roof in by the wiper area. That’s all it takes and I suspect where many of the issues start from. Your welcome…

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
pretty sure the heat of the engine will evaporate most of that off driving down the street. no? you dont think so?
Take a good look at the spark plug stems. They’re recessed and the seal will allow water to pool. If not sealed properly water leaks down to the plug.

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I'd challenge that and offer that covers are more for the ladies/girly men....making it look less intimidating when they check the oil. if you win at that game, they actually might check the oil when they add washer fluid.
esthetics far outweigh any benefit/loss for noise, heat and contaminants.
I started crocheting one for mine.
over under or cross stitch?
It's a double overhead cam engine, so I thought I better go with a yarn over pattern...
IMG_0413.JPG

grin.jpg

Chris073

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Chemist
So I bought one for my XLT a couple months ago. It doesn't make it run hot. But I feel like a damn fool for buying a $60 piece of foam. Oh well, SMH. ?

PXL_20210915_235523543.jpg

Last edited:

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
thats why the bed hooks should be standard for all available spots...imagine my surprise when my six hooks were unable to secure my load and it dented my wheel well.
a few dollar part would have saved me a $1000 dent.
How accountants think:
A few of THEIR dollars per vehicle x 25,000 such vehicles sold per year would have saved YOU $1000.
Sponsored