Want to add roof cross bars

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
So I have an A.R.E. topper with a roof rack. I'm looking get the same roof rack/cross bars on the cab.

I have the Yakima roof cross bars that came with the topper. Love them but I need a complete roof cover for carrying long, large things like plank wood or plywood.

That said, I have a few questions:

1. I haven't been able to find matching ones on the website. Anyone have any leads?

2. Does anyone know how to remove the headliner so I can install and hide the screws?

Any help is appreciated.

Screenshot_20200207-144348.png

Screenshot_20200207-144716.png
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

So you want to run the same kind of tracks on the cab of the truck, or get yakima racks that clamp to the sides of the cab above the doors?

Running tracks on top of the truck is quite the ordeal and invasive process. You may be up for it, I know I'm not. I know a few people on here have done it. I'm not sure if Yakima towers would mate with that track though.

We have the clamp on style towers and bars for the cab of the truck. They work well. Relatively easy on and off so you're not driving around all the time with them on. They're pretty secure and solid since I know some people are afraid of doing the clamp on system. I wish I had a better picture but it looks like this is all I've got. We're actually upgrading to a topper with roof racks ourselves, so if you're interested in a set of Yakima roof rack bars, we won't be needing ours anymore. haha

IMG_20190610_213111450_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
So you want to run the same kind of tracks on the cab of the truck, or get yakima racks that clamp to the sides of the cab above the doors?

Running tracks on top of the truck is quite the ordeal and invasive process. You may be up for it, I know I'm not. I know a few people on here have done it. I'm not sure if Yakima towers would mate with that track though.

We have the clamp on style towers and bars for the cab of the truck. They work well. Relatively easy on and off so you're not driving around all the time with them on. They're pretty secure and solid since I know some people are afraid of doing the clamp on system. I wish I had a better picture but it looks like this is all I've got. We're actually upgrading to a topper with roof racks ourselves, so if you're interested in a set of Yakima roof rack bars, we won't be needing ours anymore. haha

I'm looking for something permanently fastened to the roof however send pictures of what you have and if they match mine, I'd absolutely consider buying yours... when your ready.

I am curious about mounting to the gutters and if it leaves any marks and potential scratches.

Thanks man.

Deleted member 1634

I'm looking for something permanently fastened to the roof however send pictures of what you have and if they match mine, I'd absolutely consider buying yours... when your ready.

I am curious about mounting to the gutters and if it leaves any marks and potential scratches.

Thanks man.
I agree that the tracks in the gutters would be ideal, but it is quite the process to do that. I'll put one on the cab this weekend and take some pics for you.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

That's neat...do you have a link to this rack? Thanks!

Deleted member 1634

That's neat...do you have a link to this rack? Thanks!
It's just a Yakima roof rack assembly. BaseLine towers, round bars (wish I would've gotten aero bars for less noise), and the correct clips to match the truck profile. Plus the adaptors to mate the round bars and towers. All in, around $500. Easy on and off. Definitely solid enough. When they're on I can rock the whole truck by grabbing them. Like I said we're upgrading to a topper with racks, so I'll give you the same offer I gave @FX4Offroad about buying them from me if you're interested. haha

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
It's just a Yakima roof rack assembly. BaseLine towers, round bars (wish I would've gotten aero bars for less noise), and the correct clips to match the truck profile. Plus the adaptors to mate the round bars and towers. All in, around $500. Easy on and off. Definitely solid enough. When they're on I can rock the whole truck by grabbing them. Like I said we're upgrading to a topper with racks, so I'll give you the same offer I gave @FX4Offroad about buying them from me if you're interested. haha
I have the black aero bars on my topper.

Looks like I wouldn't want those. You shouldn't have any problem selling them.

Deleted member 1634

I have the black aero bars on my topper.

Looks like I wouldn't want those. You shouldn't have any problem selling them.
The aero bars are the way to go. We were forced into this setup too quickly and I didn't get a chance to really do any research. We're getting aero bars on the topper.

I think the only hard thing to sell might be the clips, which are specific to the 5g Ranger (and maybe a couple other vehicles I'm not sure). The towers and bars can certainly be sold locally here without much issue. But with only a handful of Rangers around here, the likelihood of one of them needing the clips, and then also checking Craigslist for a set is pretty slim.

Matt Chasteen

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
So I have an A.R.E. topper with a roof rack. I'm looking get the same roof rack/cross bars on the cab.

I have the Yakima roof cross bars that came with the topper. Love them but I need a complete roof cover for carrying long, large things like plank wood or plywood.

That said, I have a few questions:

1. I haven't been able to find matching ones on the website. Anyone have any leads?

2. Does anyone know how to remove the headliner so I can install and hide the screws?

Any help is appreciated.

Screenshot_20200207-144348.png

Screenshot_20200207-144716.png
I don't know about your question, but I am curious about your ARE topper - which model did you go with? I've been considering adding one to my truck as well. I have seen several that don't look great on the short bed, but I like the way yours looks.

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I don't know about your question, but I am curious about your ARE topper - which model did you go with? I've been considering adding one to my truck as well. I have seen several that don't look great on the short bed, but I like the way yours looks.
It was the Z3. Let me see if I can find some paperwork. The side windows are fixed. I wanted that. I also had the lock programmed with my key fob. Love the roof racks and the inside of the topper is carpeted with a LED light on the roof.

I love it

Last edited:

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
Installed Yakima roof track installed on the roof:

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0069_kindlephoto-165963204.jpg

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Tried to find these, but couldn't locate them on Yakima's site. Do you have a part number? Also, do you have to drill into the roof or does this somehow use the roof channel?
Sponsored