First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
So ford stops using it to save money, now they're issuing a TSB related to not using it.

I really can't figure ford out.
That sounds like every corporation, government agency &/or non-profit I've dealt with during the Pandemic. Including the one I work for. There's so much more chaos than people realize, it's amazing so many things are still running as smoothly as they are.
Sponsored

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
this is the bandaid to the problem

how does water get on top of the engine in the first place? thats the big question. and enough water to puddle, cause corrosion and not evaporate off.
we have a cover already, its called a HOOD.
so, water has to be getting in there from a different route. alot of it.
so plunking a cover on top will reduce water from the top, that the HOOD isnt stopping...

other ways for water to get in and around the engine, will still get around the cover.

this is just some dumbass engineer fix that isnt solving the root problem.
wait till later when some random turbo failure causes heat issues and another TSB to remove it.
I live in Northern California. What is this "water" stuff everyone in this thread keeps mentioning?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
So I bought one for my XLT a couple months ago. It doesn't make it run hot. But I feel like a damn fool for buying a $60 piece of foam. Oh well, SMH. ?

PXL_20210915_235523543.jpg
Can't help it!

Yeah that little piece of molded foam really makes the engine bay look a lot nicer. Really makes the rat's nest of pipes hoses and wires look so much neater. Looks like it would funnel more water onto the engine then it sheds. Isn't the problem #2 plug real close to the oil dip stick?

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
So my local Ford Dealer parts guy asked me "what engine" when I called about getting my Ranger engine cover. Should I flame him and post his picture and home address on the dark web? lol

Gil-galad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
No signs of the problem; however, I just ordered my $60 piece of foam today.

Although I think the TSB oversells the cover as a fix to the spark plug well corrosion, installing what was once a standard item certainly can't hurt and may help mitigate the inevitable. I'm a huge fan of taking an ounce of prevention, even if it isn't a full cure. Should also make engine detailing a bit less of a hassle.

OP
OP

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Platinum 4x4 & 2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Another advantage of the engine cover, which has already been mentioned, is due to it being constructed of foam, it absorbs a lot of top-end engine noise. Specifically, the loud ticking from the HPFP.

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
CAD Design/Automotive Prototyping
A hour after I made my first post in the Welcome thread my engine cover showed up , totally forgot I ordered it.

I figure it can’t hurt to have it , I like the look of it. I haven’t come across a reason why they stopped putting them on, we’ll other than to save some money lol. Maybe someone here knows why?

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
CAD Design/Automotive Prototyping
ask them first about their oil change intervals
I don’t know if this is what you’re talking about but my friends wife got a Expedition this year & has the 24-24K- 7.5K interval limited maintenance warranty. Same as my Tremor , do all Fords have this on new purchases?

Anyways she went in at around 7K & they told her she had to wait till 7.5K to get the first covered Oil Change. I Just took my Tremor in at 5K to get the first one early and expected to have to pay. Told the service guys about her experience said they said she should choose a new dealer. That I get the first 3 at no charge and they don’t care If I was to come back in a few hundred miles & get they next one, it’ll be no charge.

He said you get the first three at no charge and they’ll do them whenever I want and until then he never heard of a dealer saying you had to wait 7.5K.

I also had them wrote my reminder sticker for 5K. I’m sure Fords 10k recommendation is fine but I’m just use to a lifetime of getting them at 5K.

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Reason #1: If you dont have it, the engine bay looks like someone stole your engine cover, kind of ugly. #2: I think it actually absorbs a few db of noise, being made from $5 of dense foam.
Sponsored