StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
Forgot to mention that the intercooler will follow closely with the pipes and that we plan on offering both the pipes and the intercooler as a kit. The pre-sale for the intercooler/kit will happen a little later than the pipes alone.

Thanks,
-Steve

Awesome - for those of us with upgraded charge pipes already, will the intercooler be available solo?
Sponsored

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Of course!

-Steve
Engineering request: there is some mention of potential condensation happening in stock charge pipes. Is this something that can be addressed (all the more reason to 'upgrade') - I read elsewhere of a member drilling a 'weep hole' (shudder!) in his intercooler to let out accumulated oil. That poster acknowledged he could have installed a catch can, so there's another argument for one.
See: https://www.bluespringsfordparts.com/blog/ecoboost-shudder

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Engineering request: there is some mention of potential condensation happening in stock charge pipes. Is this something that can be addressed (all the more reason to 'upgrade') - I read elsewhere of a member drilling a 'weep hole' (shudder!) in his intercooler to let out accumulated oil. That poster acknowledged he could have installed a catch can, so there's another argument for one.
See: https://www.bluespringsfordparts.com/blog/ecoboost-shudder
Interesting. Ford had that issue with the Focus RS intercooler system too. Ford's fix was to put a plate over the intercooler before the outlet, creating a hotspot to vaporize condensation before it left the intercooler. Our fix for it was to add a drain plug to the intercooler. Many of our customers ended up leaving the drain plug out or installing a sintered bronze filter to let condensation escape without losing a ton of boost pressure. I'll definitely pass this on to our engineers to let them know it's occurring with the Ranger too.

Thanks!
-Steve

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Interesting. Ford had that issue with the Focus RS intercooler system too. Ford's fix was to put a plat over the intercooler before the outlet, creating a hotspot to vaporize condensation before it left the intercooler. Our fix for it was to add a drain plug to the intercooler. Many of our customers ended up leaving the drain plug out or installing a sintered bronze filter to let condensation escape without losing a ton of boost pressure. I'll definitely pass this on to our engineers to let them know it's occurring with the Ranger too.

Thanks!
-Steve
I read of the issue and Jimmy-rigged fix in the thread '
Stumble & Loss Of Power Under Hard Acceleration' by Stangman570

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Very cool. Mountune just released their intercooler with out pipes and I think we can all agree that the hot side pipe is ridiculous the way it steps down near the air recirculating valve.

Buffy Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Supercab
Forgot to mention that the intercooler will follow closely with the pipes and that we plan on offering both the pipes and the intercooler as a kit. The pre-sale for the intercooler/kit will happen a little later than the pipes alone.

Thanks,
-Steve
Looking forward to the notifications and release! Continued success!

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Just bumping this post for visibility and another inquiry/request. I read that my SCT BDX - when plugged in and used as a monitor - is displaying MAP pressure for boost. In my case I've installed the dual-vacuum UPR oil catch can and have no idea if that's affected the readings. While it may be NBD, I suppose taking a pressure reading off the charge tubes would be more accurate.

Will there be some type of threaded tap fitting for those who want to add a dedicated gauge?

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just bumping this post for visibility and another inquiry/request. I read that my SCT BDX - when plugged in and used as a monitor - is displaying MAP pressure for boost. In my case I've installed the dual-vacuum UPR oil catch can and have no idea if that's affected the readings. While it may be NBD, I suppose taking a pressure reading off the charge tubes would be more accurate.

Will there be some type of threaded tap fitting for those who want to add a dedicated gauge?
Good question, would love a simple plug and play boost gauge.

MAP is a good boost indicator but it’s not very accurate for measuring true boost. Reason being is the MAP is taking into account ambient barometric pressure (which varies greatly depending on your sea level position) which is why you’ll have a positive MAP reading even at idle (at least I did when using the Livernois MyCal). A true boost gauge would show slightly negative values at idle since the system is in a vacuumed state not a boosted one.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

Yes there will be! The cold-side pipe will have a bung with a pilot bore (a little indentation that makes centering a drill bit easier), that can be drilled and tapped to whatever size you need for a pressure sender or boost tap. That way, we're not limiting what you can put there to something that's 1/8 NPT or anything.

Also, a boost gauge on the intercooler pipe or the manifold would be a good indicator for boost pressure, but MAP readings are usually the best indication of how much air is going into the engine and overall engine health. @StezenW just curious what pressure you're seeing from your MAP sensor at idle? In Atlanta, not accounting for weather, I would expect to see maybe 2 PSI at idle and vacuum when cruising off-throttle.

Thanks!
-Steve

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes there will be! The cold-side pipe will have a bung with a pilot bore (a little indentation that makes centering a drill bit easier), that can be drilled and tapped to whatever size you need for a pressure sender or boost tap. That way, we're not limiting what you can put there to something that's 1/8 NPT or anything.

Also, a boost gauge on the intercooler pipe or the manifold would be a good indicator for boost pressure, but MAP readings are usually the best indication of how much air is going into the engine and overall engine health. @StezenW just curious what pressure you're seeing from your MAP sensor at idle? In Atlanta, not accounting for weather, I would expect to see maybe 2 PSI at idle and vacuum when cruising off-throttle.

Thanks!
-Steve
I see about 7 InHG at idle from my MAP reading, which is of course roughly 3.5 PSI.

But what you said there is interesting, you're saying adding a boost gauge tapped from the cold side intercooler charge pipe would be a good way to get a decent boost reading? Reason being is my aftermarket charge pipe on that side already has a threaded bung that is currently plugged with a supplied threaded plug, so it'd be very easy to tap into that.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Now I'm curious what material(s) the charge pipes will be manufactured from.

(Edit) I'm especially concerned about heat soak.

Last edited:

Jwhite921

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Oil field Surveyor
Any chance for a full package set up? Everything intake from filter to throttle body.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I see about 7 InHG at idle from my MAP reading, which is of course roughly 3.5 PSI.

But what you said there is interesting, you're saying adding a boost gauge tapped from the cold side intercooler charge pipe would be a good way to get a decent boost reading? Reason being is my aftermarket charge pipe on that side already has a threaded bung that is currently plugged with a supplied threaded plug, so it'd be very easy to tap into that.
Now I'm curious what material(s) the charge pipes will be manufactured from.

(Edit) I'm especially concerned about heat soak.
Any chance for a full package set up? Everything intake from filter to throttle body.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all, for some reason I haven't been getting emails for new replies.

@StezenW, yes, the cold-side intercooler pipe is a decent location for a boost gauge sensor, but the MAP sensor is what the ECU is reading to calculate fueling, so that should be reliable as well.

@Racket our intercooler pipes will be made from aluminum. We don't expect to see enough heat soak to affect performance in the Ranger. All of our EcoBoost intercooler pipes are aluminum and none have had a detrimental effect on charge air temps. The air is moving so quickly that there's not much heat transfer from the pipes.

@Jwhite921 we will be doing an intercooler and pipe kit, but we will be offering the intake separately. I'll definitely pass on the idea of bundling them together to the team though!

Thanks,
-Steve

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hey everybody,

With Black Friday and the holidays coming up, we wanted to get some of our products out a little early. That includes these intercooler pipes! The pre-sale is now open here: Mishimoto 2019+ Ford Ranger Intercooler Pipe Kit Pre-Sale

We'll have an R&D post on these later on, but for now here are some highlights:
  • Improves flow by 25.6% on the hot side and 16.6% on the cold side
  • Increases internal volume by 26.4% on the hot side and 13.7% on the cold side for more power potential
  • Mandrel-bent aluminum pipes eliminate restrictive bends
  • Cold-side pipe includes bung that can be drilled and tapped for a sensor or boost gauge
  • Includes Mishimoto Silicone Boots with DuraCoreβ„’ Technology

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions!
-Steve
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.