Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
That is good to know!! Are you in?
We are headed up to Glacier NP on the 26th but I can probably go anytime after the 6th of July for another meetup if we can get one going.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I’ve ran this a few times now in the Ranger and 4Runner. It’s pretty mild and wouldn’t be hard for anyone in stock or otherwise to do. Would be fine to get a group ride together for this trip.
yep, I've run it a few times as well, in my old trooper and FJ cruiser, by myself both times. If the water gets too high or eroded, the park closes the trail, so just pay attention to the road status. Usually by the end of June the water levels are low anyway.

Sandman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Screw FX4
When are you guys thinking of running it? I'll go if I'm free.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
When are you guys thinking of running it? I'll go if I'm free.
So the thought is to do it on the 26th the 27th. The pass itself is free but once you're at the sand dunes and you're exiting at the gate you do have to pay the little fee that they have their which is easy enough to deal with. And not like you're having to pay $50 or more.

Sandman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool. I'm pretty sure i can go. I haven't taken the truck in sand so it sounds exciting to me.

Nopalito

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Cactus Grey XLT
Occupation
Emergency Manager
I’d be down to go too. Sounds like a cool trip.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So I just went through Medano Pass yesterday. It was great. This is probably the 4th time I've been through it, first time in the Ranger, and first time in the spring. Water crossings were mostly no deeper than 12 inches, except one near the top, which got to probably 24-28 inches. I hit it a little fast and a wall of water splashed up over the hood, but the ranger had no issues. There were also a couple really muddy/boggy/rutted sections that a chevy pickup kept getting stuck on, but everyone else made it - there was a line of 5 trucks behind him a rubicon, one of the park rangers in a chevy tahoe (I think), a newer Tundra, and a fairly new Ram 1500, and me. I turned on my locker just to make sure so I wouldn't hold up any of the trucks behind me, but I think it would have been doable without.
Anyway, just wanted to share. The pass is super fun right now, and the most difficult I've seen it, though I'd imagine the muddy sections will be mostly dried up by the end of june.

Also, if anyone wants to extend their trip another day, it would be fun to connect to Blanca Peak as well. I went about half way up to find a camp site (and there are some fantastic ones). It was rocky and bumpy but not too difficult, though supposedly it gets a bit harder near the top, but it should be doable, or at least fun to try.

Sandman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I just went through Medano Pass yesterday. It was great. This is probably the 4th time I've been through it, first time in the Ranger, and first time in the spring. Water crossings were mostly no deeper than 12 inches, except one near the top, which got to probably 24-28 inches. I hit it a little fast and a wall of water splashed up over the hood, but the ranger had no issues. There were also a couple really muddy/boggy/rutted sections that a chevy pickup kept getting stuck on, but everyone else made it - there was a line of 5 trucks behind him a rubicon, one of the park rangers in a chevy tahoe (I think), a newer Tundra, and a fairly new Ram 1500, and me. I turned on my locker just to make sure so I wouldn't hold up any of the trucks behind me, but I think it would have been doable without.
Anyway, just wanted to share. The pass is super fun right now, and the most difficult I've seen it, though I'd imagine the muddy sections will be mostly dried up by the end of june.

Also, if anyone wants to extend their trip another day, it would be fun to connect to Blanca Peak as well. I went about half way up to find a camp site (and there are some fantastic ones). It was rocky and bumpy but not too difficult, though supposedly it gets a bit harder near the top, but it should be doable, or at least fun to try.
Medano pass sounds like a good time. Especially with the rain we've been getting. I don't know about Blanca Peak. Its rated 8/10 on OnX and I know my Ranger needs a lot of bypasses to make it on a 7 lol.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well as long as most of you are still up for Medano Pass I'm still looking at the 26th for the run. For those of you looking to camp there are free spots there but it is first come first serve. There are also spots you can pay for but i dont know that cost and who know who has paid already.

Also if communications are to be ran what is everyone thinking about? I'm personally thinking of GMRS i just know a license is needed.

Sandman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well as long as most of you are still up for Medano Pass I'm still looking at the 26th for the run. For those of you looking to camp there are free spots there but it is first come first serve. There are also spots you can pay for but i dont know that cost and who know who has paid already.

Also if communications are to be ran what is everyone thinking about? I'm personally thinking of GMRS i just know a license is needed.
I plan to go. Ill probably just drive down for the day then drive home. Its only like 2 hours away for me. I have three little motorola walkie talkie type radios. Are those GMRS?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I plan to go. Ill probably just drive down for the day then drive home. Its only like 2 hours away for me. I have three little motorola walkie talkie type radios. Are those GMRS?
I would have to see a picture of them. There is a chance they could be FRS type radios and they can communicate with GRMS but they dont have much range

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'd like to go, but I'm not sure how realistic that will be at this point... I Just ended up with another dog (He followed me home and I haven't been able to find an owner) and he has no training and is pretty wild, but sweet. I don't trust leaving him at home yet, and have no idea how he'll be on a long rough car ride/camping trip... so that might put me out this time, unless he starts to learn really fast and I feel like I can bring him along.

Also, if I do end up making it, I have a couple handheld radios that are GMRS/FRS, and supposed to have a 50 mile range (depending on geography of course). Also a handheld CB if anyone still uses those...

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So moreor less last call for the trip to the Great Sand Dunes through Medano Pass thos coming Saturday. It looks loke Sandman is in and thats it. Anyone else?

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I could make this one. It's my best friend's birthday and we will be grilling and such that day. I've got a busy July, but I am hoping to make some trips in August.
Sponsored