VTRanger

VTRanger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT SuperCrew
Well no not necessarily. It can often be very humid when cold. We don't get "extreme" cold here anyway so I can't speak to what could be going on in sub 0 conditions. I just figured mine is condensation inside the piping getting sucked through and then its gone, until next time.
This is true, I used to always associate cold with dry, but that's not always the case.
Sponsored

OP
OP
VTRanger

VTRanger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT SuperCrew
-5 isnt extremely cold

In Alberta, you get ice fog when its cold. still plenty of moisture in the air.
here's todays temp in Balmy Grande Prairie. -33C and 71% humidity

1642600010951.png

That's crazy!

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Extremely Cold = Extremely Dry

We are accustomed reports of Relative Humidity. Relative Humidity is a measure of how much water is in the air, expressed as a percentage of the maximum amount of water that the air can hold (saturation). In absolute terms, though, the capacity of air to hold water molecules is affected mainly by temperature and atmospheric pressure. Absolute Humidity is expressed as the total mass of water contained in a volume of air.

It took me a few minutes of searching to find these graphics, which shows the actual mass of water contained in air of various relative humidity levels at different temperatures.

Relative_Humidity.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 9.21.23 AM.png

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Thanks man... Will let it warm up from now on, my Subaru Crosstrek just goes no matter what, disappointed in the ranger in the cold temps.

So far in negative temps, I can't use my parking brake or it won't shut off cause the boot won't flex, or will crack the parking brake boot if you use it, can't remote start cause it smells like burning plastic, and don't try to drive without warming up or you might end up in an accident cause you have no acceleration.
I go with the water in fuel; condensation. You had no warning lights or messages, and the problem fixed itself. My rule of thumb is never let the truck sit with the fuel level below a quarter tank. The emptier the tank, the more chance of condensation forming. I park my motorcycle for the winter with a full tank for the same reason. Also, I like to have a comfortable amount of fuel in case I get stuck and need to idle for an extended time. You may want to try some HEET in your tank to absorb any condensation that might be in there.

Warming the engine won't really have much effect on condensation in the tank, but it will help bring the oil (and the interior!) up to operating temp. But remember, the rest of the drivetrain is cold so if towing in sub zero weather especially, use your balloon foot at first.

I've not had a problem with my parking brake boot, and I apply it most every time. You might try some mink oil or a leather/ vinyl conditioner on it to soften the boot up.

OP
OP
VTRanger

VTRanger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT SuperCrew
I go with the water in fuel; condensation. You had no warning lights or messages, and the problem fixed itself. My rule of thumb is never let the truck sit with the fuel level below a quarter tank. The emptier the tank, the more chance of condensation forming. I park my motorcycle for the winter with a full tank for the same reason. Also, I like to have a comfortable amount of fuel in case I get stuck and need to idle for an extended time. You may want to try some HEET in your tank to absorb any condensation that might be in there.

Warming the engine won't really have much effect on condensation in the tank, but it will help bring the oil (and the interior!) up to operating temp. But remember, the rest of the drivetrain is cold so if towing in sub zero weather especially, use your balloon foot at first.

I've not had a problem with my parking brake boot, and I apply it most every time. You might try some mink oil or a leather/ vinyl conditioner on it to soften the boot up.
Nice, thanks for the info... funny you mentioned the fuel level, just had the low fuel light come on this morning. Time to fill her up!

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
If you believe the global warming terriosts Cali, DC, NY, will be under water. Not a bad thing as long as the leftys drown. LOL

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
you should be able to go at any temp.....but a car is like a woman....warm it up first....or you're in for problems later.
Nothing worse than trying to get a dry shaft going... Always get them warmed up first and get the fluids going or you're in for some shaft warping

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
-5 isnt extremely cold

In Alberta, you get ice fog when its cold. still plenty of moisture in the air.
here's todays temp in Balmy Grande Prairie. -33C and 71% humidity

1642600010951.png
If you are talking Celsius -5ÂșC is still T-shirt weather (except for Dave). -5ÂșC equals +23ÂșF.
-33ÂșC = -27ÂșF = colder'n a witch's tit in a brass bra.

ÂșC and ÂșF are roughly equal at -41Âș. Untreated gasoline freezes at that temp.

OP
OP
VTRanger

VTRanger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT SuperCrew
If you are talking Celsius -5ÂșC is still T-shirt weather (except for Dave). -5ÂșC equals +23ÂșF.
-33ÂșC = -27ÂșF = colder'n a witch's tit in a brass bra.

ÂșC and ÂșF are roughly equal at -41Âș. Untreated gasoline freezes at that temp.
True, I was talking -5F originally.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My cold weather start up is the same as warm weather start up. I do get to park in the garage, I get in insert key turn on but do not engage starter, shift to neutral, release parking brake, as truck slowly rolls out of the garage enough for the tail pipe to clear garage door starter is engaged engine starts, I sit & wait for it to idle down as I go through my list of pushing buttons & buckling up etc.. When she idles down I put her in reverse back out & drive off normally till all fluids get up to temp. Every body has there own little way of doing things. :like:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
O.P. , my truck does this when temperature gets below 35 degrees f. Had the tbs done for rough running/shifting, it helped a little bit, but still does it. Last time i had it in for service, (well actually the 5th time for cel issues) I asked them if they could adjust the choke to fix it. Got a blank stare back. Worst running vehicle when cold that is fuel injected I have ever driven. And that is after letting it run 5-10 minutes to warm up. Yea love having to do that every time i go to work.That and the cold 4th gear shift is like to drop the driveshaft out. Will be taking it in again i suppose. This thing has been in for warranty issues twice as many times in a year and a half than all the vehicles i have owned combined. It really is a piece.Wish i could of got a good one instead of a lemon. Ugh

OP
OP
VTRanger

VTRanger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT SuperCrew
O.P. , my truck does this when temperature gets below 35 degrees f. Had the tbs done for rough running/shifting, it helped a little bit, but still does it. Last time i had it in for service, (well actually the 5th time for cel issues) I asked them if they could adjust the choke to fix it. Got a blank stare back. Worst running vehicle when cold that is fuel injected I have ever driven. And that is after letting it run 5-10 minutes to warm up. Yea love having to do that every time i go to work.That and the cold 4th gear shift is like to drop the driveshaft out. Will be taking it in again i suppose. This thing has been in for warranty issues twice as many times in a year and a half than all the vehicles i have owned combined. It really is a piece.Wish i could of got a good one instead of a lemon. Ugh
Thanks.. Sorry to hear that! I hope I don't end up at the dealer that much but wouldn't be surprised.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
The 10 speed transmission seems to be very cranky when cold. If I start and go when it's below freezing the shift from reverse to drive usually has a slight delay and the shifting is very clunky for the first couple of minutes. If I let it warm up there are usually no problems.
Sponsored