Cleanliness is Rangerness

Gims04

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2008 Pontiac G8
I love to get out and get my truck dirty. Making memories with my family and just using my Ranger as a truck is the whole reason I bought it, but keeping it clean is just as enjoyable to me. I love getting the sideways glances from the Wranglers and Tacos on the beach or trail as well as the "good looking truck" compliments in everyday life. So I was wondering what everybody does to clean there Rangers. What products do you use to get the job done? What is your detailing schedule if you have one?

I'm not looking for tit-for-tat this products is better arugments. Just thought it would be nice to see how everyone takes care if this truck we all love.

Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gims04

Gims04

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wash my truck every two to three weeks to get the road grime off and protect the exterior. About every three months I will give it a good coat of wax. I also wax the exterior black plastics as I feel they look better then just washing and drying. I have husky liners to protect the carpets but give it a good vacuum quite often.

-carnuba wax, chemical guys all-in-one interior cleaner and a good glass cleaner.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
A couple of weekends back I went on an all day off-road excursion and my truck got VERY dirty! The next day I busted out the pressure washer and blasted the dirt off the body and the caked on mud from underneath.

And then I cheated! I drove my truck down the street to a hand-wash car wash operation and paid $45 (after $10 tip) for them to clean my truck up, inside and out!
BEFORE:
2020-09-07 09.24.20.jpg

AFTER:
2020-09-07 11.10.30.jpg

BEFORE:
2020-09-07 09.24.31.jpg

AFTER:
2020-09-07 11.09.27.jpg

BEFORE:
2020-09-07 09.12.50.jpg

2020-09-07 09.13.05.jpg

AFTER:
2020-09-07 11.09.57.jpg

2020-09-07 11.10.04.jpg

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Truthfully I used to care a lot more about swirls and other paint defects. Fact of the matter is a daily driver that sits outside can’t avoid it.

With that said I try to wash every week to two weeks. I’ve been using meguiars latest line of ceramic products and have to say the gloss and slickness I get from them is worth every penny. To add to that they are super easy to use and readily available. I’d say the clay bar/ceramic detailer kit is a game changer and that alone once every 2 months would be worth the bit of effort it takes.

Taterbootz

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
-Spray wheels down with Meguiars Wheel Brightener, let sit for 1 minute (or how long it takes me to go around the truck to all four wheels) before spraying off with a pressure washer.
-Wheels get washed using a separate bucket and microfiber and some cheap car shampoo.
-Tires and wheel wells get sprayed with Meguiars APC, agitated with a stiff bristle brush, and then sprayed off with a pressure washer
-Foam with Adams Mega Foam sprayed from a MTM Cannon through a SunJoe 2000psi electric pressure washer
-Two bucket wash using whatever shampoo I have available (sometimes its the Mega Foam, although I usually have some cheaper shampoo's around or I'll pick up some normal Adams Car Shampoo for the bucket so I don't waste the expensive super foamy stuff. I like the foam it makes me feel good no matter what it does lol). Using an Incredipad XL as the microfiber mitt.
- Spray off car when done and dry with a leaf blower and various microfiber towels
- And every wash I top it off with beadmaker when dry.

OP
OP
Gims04

Gims04

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have a pressure washer, get one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08C2T17WR?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

It makes it so much easier to get under the truck.
I also use a pivot style yard sprinkler. Sit back crack a beer and let it go back and forth. A little while later I will move it until the whole bottom is cleaned off.

I was told that using a pressure washer on the under carriage blows away some of the grease and oil that need to be there.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I'm actually working on a video for my YT channel right now all about what I've done to protect the exterior of my Ranger. In a nutshell, here is what I did shortly after purchase:

Very thorough wash, using 2 bucket method and basic car wash (no fancy wax additives, etc).
Clay bar entire exterior to remove fallout/grime.
Polish entire exterior to remove any light swirls from dealer washes.
Installed bug guard / deflector at front edge of hood.
Installed Paint Protection Film on all forward-facing surfaces (rear view mirrors, front of roof, grill, bumpers, headlights, etc)
Ceramic coated entire vehicle.

I did it all myself, took 3 full days because I filmed it all. Lots of work, but the payoff is amazing.

Now that all of that has been done, my upkeep routine is:
Wash the truck every few weeks or anytime I get it really dirty off road.
I'll re-apply the ceramic coat annually.
That's about it.

I did manage to get some pretty good pinstripes from some thick brush I had to drive through on a trail once, so I had to buff that out and re-apply ceramic coat to one body panel.

Here's how it looks freshly washed:
IMG_3393.jpg

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I was told that using a pressure washer on the under carriage blows away some of the grease and oil that need to be there.
Just don't use it in that area.

If you live in a region where salt is used on the roadway for icy conditions, then it's a good idea to rinse it off.

OP
OP
Gims04

Gims04

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fair enough.
Just don't use it in that area.

If you live in a region where salt is used on the roadway for icy conditions, then it's a good idea to rinse it off.
Fair enough. I live down on the gulf coast where the salty conditions are a way of life, especially if you make a beach run on the weekends.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I had done a write up in the detailing section back in the spring so here's a copy of it.

I’ve been using these products for years with great results. I was going to try the ceramic coating but I'm actually one of the weird ones who enjoys waxing my vehicles. lol

If claying,first wash the truck and do not dry. I use the 303 Speed Detailer (more is better) for my lube. Spray one panel at a time with lube and run your clay mitt side to side then up and down using NO pressure but the mitt. Once you’re done with that panel take a plastic sandwich bag and put it over your hand and run it down the panel you just clayed. If you feel any grit spray more lube on and re-clay that area until it smooth. Continue this for the entire truck until the baggie glides over the area without any grit.

Next I like to strip off any old finish and start fresh so I use the Optimum Paint Prep. Just spray it on and wipe off with a micro fiber cloth. I only do this about every 18 months just to get a fresh base to start with.

My basic wash and wax:

I use the 2 bucket system 1 for washing with a grit guard and 1 for rinsing my micro fiber mitt also with a grit guard. I use the Trinova Car Shampoo and Conditioner as it has no added wax or sealants. Dry with a chamois,spray a coat of Optimim Opti-seal (use very little as less is more) usually 1-2 sprays per panel. I use a foam applicator and just give it a couple of sprays on that and run it over the panel. Once it starts to drag just give it another spray or two. Top coat with Optimum Car Wax,same less is more. This I spray directly onto the panel and wipe with a micro fiber cloth. You don’t have to buff out just wipe on and let it dry. I also use the Opti-seal on all the exterior glass,this seal the glass and beads up like Rain-X but lasts much longer. I also use this in my house on my shower glass,bath mirrors and stainless appliances.

I use the 303 Tire and Rubber cleaner to get rid of any road grime. Just spray it on,let sit for a minute and scrub with a brush and rinse. I also use their Tire Shine to top dress,it comes in satin and gloss finish.

Finally I use the 303 Aerospace Protectant for my tonneau cover and any black plastic and rubber, This is the best UV protectant you can get! It has super UV protection and will even help restore weathered gray black plastic back to original. I use this on all my interior too from the dash,seats,steering wheel and all the black plastic moulding throughout the truck. It does not leave a greasy film like Armor-All does.

All the 303 and Trinova products can be found here,I think Amazon sells most of them too.

Optimum Products can be found here.

Edit: So obviously now I've switched to 303 Graphene Nano Spray and the Graphene Detailer. ?

Clay Products.jpg

Wash:Wax products.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

Tonneau cover and black plastic with the 303 Aerospace protectant applied.

IMG_2156.jpg

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I'll use the same stuff I use on my other vehicles. Meguiar's Ultimate line of wash, and waxes. They are great products at a reasonable price, and EZPZ to use. Now that I've gotten more mature "easy" is the way I like to go.

Here's is the results. And, it works that good on my Jeep, and the wife's Mustang.

100_4682.JPG

Last edited:

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
I've always been a home detailer and enjoy the process of cleaning the vehicles. I'm also a Jeep owner and i can tell you stories of dirt for days! Pretty rewarding seeing the shine after a 3 day wheeling trip. I"m a big fan of Poorboys World and Chemical guys products.

I use a plain water pre-rinse, followed by a foam application, and a two bucket wash with grit guard process. Each vehicle has its own wash mitts/brushes too. I wash every 2-3 weeks and every 90 days do a more thorough paint prep. A nice wax session and some sealant, and RainX the glass. The hot southern summer and humidity without a garage are my biggest hurdles. I also clean the wheels very often since I do not want brake dust on the painted wheels, and apply a ceramic sealant. I'm cleaning this weekend so I'll drop some pics in afterwards.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Finally I use the 303 Aerospace Protectant for my tonneau cover and any black plastic and rubber, This is the best UV protectant you can get! It has super UV protection and will even help restore weathered gray black plastic back to original. I use this on all my interior too from the dash,seats,steering wheel and all the black plastic moulding throughout the truck. It does not leave a greasy film like Armor-All does.

All the 303 and Trinova products can be found here,I think Amazon sells most of them too.

IMG_1781.jpg

Tonneau cover and black plastic with the 303 Aerospace protectant applied.
Dave, at my mature age the only thing we had back in the day was good old ArmorAll for all of that stuff. And it worked although it was greasy, and attracted dust like a prom Queen attracts horn dogs on prom night. Then I found 303. If anyone needs any ArmorAll I have several bottles on the shelf in my basement. :)
Sponsored

Last edited: