OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Well done. Can I solicit your services on my next vehicle purchase?
I didn't really do anything other than not cave in like the every day customer they deal with.

If you have to pay above average for a rare allocation, pick a number you are comfortable with and just stick to it. Either it happens or it does not.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I remember this with my RS order in 2015. I started talking to a local dealer that was recommended by a friend that sold him his GT500. I started talking with a salesman in the summer months before the banks opened and made my top price I would pay for the car with the options I wanted clear, $40k. WD, the salesman said he thinks they'll be $45k, I replayed if Ford does that, they miss the target market and that it should be about $35k if you compare it to Golf R, STI and the outgoing Evo. Come Oct when pricing is released ($35,900) I popped into the dealer work toward finalizing the options and going over the ordering process and discuss down payments and such. I was in formed the GM wants $5k ADM. I replied I'm not interested in paying that I would have no room for the options I wanted (Forged wheels Cup2 tires $1,990 and NB paint $695) once you include the destination charges ($875) for a pre-tax of $39,460. I left and stopped at the dealer closest to my house and they were glad to order it for MSRP, in the meantime I decided I wanted the OE 18" winter wheel package to put all season times on, so I added that package to for an additional $1,995, I figured I was going to buy daily wheels anyway and could sell or just burn of the snow tires. The deal as dealer #2 soured quick after the order banks opened though and while I had a contract with them to order it, they said they could not place the order yet. Some assistant tried blowing smoke up my ass about how they can't select that car to order, he was showing me some other Ford order site for marketing materials or something. I explained for this car you have to order it in the old order system and it's not a sub trim of the Focus, you must locate the Focus RS model. I think the owner was upset there was no ADM and was refusing to push it through to Ford. A few months later Dealer #1 was still sitting on their allocation and said they would sell to me at MSRP and I had the DORA in hand that day and cancelled the order at the dealer #2.

The hardest part of the RS buying was convincing the dealers that while the car would be lusted over, the venn diagram of those with the funds for it, those that want it, and those that would buy it (able to justify having the car and/or the room for it) is a very small number in my area. Demand was not an issue, so ADM was not justified here. I gave dealer #1 a couple months after the order banks opened to see that.

Last edited:

Egg69

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Systems Analyst for Bonsall Unified School District
I disagree. Price gouging usually refers to raising prices on needed item such as food, water, fuel, etc., especially in a crisis. No one NEEDS a Raptor. They WANT a Raptor. The ADM is on this model because it's in high demand. Now, if they suddenly added $5-10K on all vehicles, that may be considered gouging or market manipulation.
Fuel is a needed commodity for most people. In Louisiana, we average $3.07 for regular gas, in California it's $4.80. Do you consider CA is price gouging on fuel costs with its 56% mark up? Or is it just supply and demand?
CA is definitely price gouging

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
Ask and you shall receive.

Ignoring suggestions by another user to contact other dealers and my doubts. Well, I'm glad to be flat wrong in this case.

Chapter 4: " FAAFO " (Google if not familiar with the acronym)

I searched for the smallest Ford authorized dealer in a 50 mile radius. The first one came back with $20K ADM and $5k deposit. Using my verbal judo I advised them they were smoking crack in a professional manner. Next down the list and something magical happened. Well something is better than nothing, I got what I wanted, but $500 cheaper. What I really liked is I was in and out of the new dealership in 30 minutes. Yea it was a 30 minute ride there and back, but who cares at this point.

And thus...

Shelter Green bone stock no add-ons.

FU_1.jpg

I even made sure that they got the proper priority code in for stock order, not retail.
first off congrats on getting the raptor ordered!

but this was a fun read and shows a good way to handler dealership peoples i do wish i was better at reading people for stuff like that but sometimes it just slips my mind haha

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Job 1 is now rescheduled (again) to begin August 7.

No one knows how many Raptors are to be included in this.
Really hope this works out and goes well for you.
I've enjoyed this thread a lot. Thanks!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Watching this saga reminds me of trying to order a Bronco.

Good luck.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Watching this saga reminds me of trying to order a Bronco.

Good luck.
Yea, but the demand is absurdly lower.

As of last week there were only 1,500 pre-orders for non-Raptors in the entire United States. Ford recently send out a $1,000 off notice.

Those numbers are... realistically, very very bad. Right now is a very competitive market for mid-sized vehicles of this nature. Broncos, Colorados, and right around the corner the Tacomas.

Getting a Raptor now might be a smart move if Ford axes the Ranger line again.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Yea, but the demand is absurdly lower.

As of last week there were only 1,500 pre-orders for non-Raptors in the entire United States. Ford recently send out a $1,000 off notice.

Those numbers are... realistically, very very bad. Right now is a very competitive market for mid-sized vehicles of this nature. Broncos, Colorados, and right around the corner the Tacomas.

Getting a Raptor now might be a smart move if Ford axes the Ranger line again.
Ranger Raptors are like Bronco pre-orders, people want them sight unseen with a care about form or function. They just want a Ranger Raptor or Bronco (pre-release). It's different (IMO) with run of the mill Rangers. I want to see and check it out IRL before I commit to one, and the I'm not interested until MY25. That, and RR will be "limited" in quantities.
Hopefully Ford starts to really worry about Ranger 6G sales and drops prices. $1000 discount on $35K-$45K isn't a deal maker, as that doesn't even cover destination fees, which are now close to $1600.

FYI, also saw on 6G that MY24 are not flat towable, but MY25 'should be'. That might be rumors though.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.