Buying a 2021 Lariat Supercrew FX4.... Good deal?

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Agreed about the add ons--more people should just walk away from those to kill the dealers' incentive to pull that crap
Indeed, as another member posted, if they don't get you price wise on the floor, they'll make it up in the finance office. This is why the "finance guy" is the craftiest salesperson they have on their team.
When I special ordered my 2020 I had made it absolutely clear to the salesperson that they were to add absolutely zero dealership level packages, options, equipment garbage to my truck, all I wanted them to do to it was to clean and prep it for delivery.
The inevitable meeting with the finance guy did take place to consummate payment (there was no trade-in, nor financing), I actually had to inquire about an extended warranty and showed him figures from Flood Ford, he could not match the prices. So, I presented a cashier's check for the remaining balance (I had placed a 1K deposit when I ordered it), signed the required sales documents, then met with the salesperson to inspect the truck and to initialize the FordPass app and drove off, fully realizing that as soon as the tires hit the pavement out of the dealer's lot the truck just lost 1K in value, if not a lot more.
Sponsored

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You won't see that type of discount just yet on a 2021, but I did get a healthy discount of $9621.80 on a 2020 Lariat FX4 501A with towing pkg. last month as you can see below. This dealer was the lowest although they had the largest dealer fee but by only $100. The adds for accessories are things I requested which were priced the same as if I had them done myself.
1611152431790.png
I sure hope you did not let them soak you for the bogus "Predelivery Service Charge" as FoMoCo pays the dealer for this service for every vehicle they deliver.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
I sure hope you did not let them soak you for the bogus "Predelivery Service Charge" as FoMoCo pays the dealer for this service for every vehicle they deliver.
"Dealer service charge" = pure dealer profit. Did not mind it a bit with that discount. Still $8726 off sticker with the dealer fee added back in. Not a dealer near here that I'm aware of that doesn't charge one.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
"Dealer service charge" = pure dealer profit. Did not mind it a bit with that discount. Still $8726 off sticker with the dealer fee added back in. Not a dealer near here that I'm aware of that doesn't charge one.
Well, if that eight hundred ninety something is factored in your discount then you got double dipped.
Perhaps in Florida it's the norm for dealers to charge for this, and dealers here probably do the same.
However, an educated buyer will know about this scam and other shenanigans some unscrupulous dealers pull.
I've documentation to validate this fact and will gladly PM you it.

Last edited:

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, if that eight hundred ninety something is factored in your discount then you got double dipped.
Perhaps in Florida it's the norm for dealers to charge for this, but certainly not in Hawaii, by the way I've documentation to validate this and will gladly PM you it.
Was charged the dealer fee once then tax and tag. All dealers around here charge a fee. I have seen some in other parts of the US that don't, but not around here and not with those kind of discounts. Pretty sure the dealerships in Hawaii aren't discounting their Ranger trucks 8-9k.
Isn't beef super high there in Hawaii, yeah?

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Was charged the dealer fee once then tax and tag. All dealers around here charge a fee. I have seen some in other parts of the US that don't, but not around here and not with those kind of discounts. Pretty sure the dealerships in Hawaii aren't discounting their Ranger trucks 8-9k.
Isn't beef super high there in Hawaii, yeah?
You are getting off the tangent here, the subject was your dealer charging you an additional service fee for which the manufacturer had already paid them, in this case PDI.
All dealers have some sort of sales fee in one form or another, however in your instance the fee is clearly listed as something they were already paid for. This is exactly like how some dealers like to add shipping costs on the "phoney Monroeny" they so love to add right next to the factory sticker.
The manufacturer already has this cost added in the MSRP, so to think that you are getting a great deal in them waving this on the OTD price is nonsense, you are already paying for it.
Hawaii dealers offering the discounts you mentioned is irrelevant, perhaps they do or don't, I don't really care...btw, I worked at a Lincoln-Mercury dealership as a mechanic for almost 14 years as saw ALL the sales tactics the sales department would pull to make a profit.
Bottom line is that you are happy with your purchase and your vehicle.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are getting off the tangent here, the subject was your dealer charging you an additional service fee for which the manufacturer had already paid them, in this case PDI.
All dealers have some sort of sales fee in one form or another, however in your instance the fee is clearly listed as something they were already paid for. This is exactly like how some dealers like to add shipping costs on the "phoney Monroeny" they so love to add right next to the factory sticker.
The manufacturer already has this cost added in the MSRP, so to think that you are getting a great deal in them waving this on the OTD price is nonsense, you are already paying for it.
Hawaii dealers offering the discounts you mentioned is irrelevant, perhaps they do or don't, I don't really care...btw, I worked at a Lincoln-Mercury dealership as a mechanic for almost 14 years as saw ALL the sales tactics the sales department would pull to make a profit.
Bottom line is that you are happy with your purchase and your vehicle.
No tangent, friend. Think I see your point. They are calling the "dealer fee" a "predelivery service charge" which sounds a lot more like PDI than a dealer fee which I think is their way of justifying it. I accept that is their dealer fee or added profit, but no added PDI charges were charged since they are part of the cost of the vehicle.

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
Try Costco. Some years ago I purchased a Volvo XC90 and Costco's price was $3,500 less than I was able to get the same dealer to offer.
Sponsored