Cheapest Good APC (All Purpose Cleaner) for Wheels-Purple Power, Fantastik, 409, Meg's, Chemical Guys

tekfranz

First Name
Franz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger LX
So All Purpose Cleaner seems like something that should not cost a lot.
However, cutting grease, removing Brake Dust and leaving an Alloy Wheel sparkling is a lot to ask.

My question is why can't a person just use some reasonable Household Cleaner like Fantastik or 409?
I get it that Simple Green is harsh Full Strength it can soften wax and possibly damage paint.
But surely something like 409 or Fantastik wouldn't be a problem?

I use Meg's APC and it is reasonably priced. I am needing to mix it 4:1 to get all the grime off.

Should I spend more than $20 on a gallon of APC and what would be the benefits?

Or can I spend less than $20 and use something like Purple Power, 409 or Super Clean or something from Walmart or Amazon that says All-Purpose Cleaner Degreaser?

Or is APC just APC and using reasonable any All Purpose Cleaner should work?
Sponsored

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If you're going to use any of those I wold dilute them because they're to strong to use full strength. After cleaning your wheels hit them with either a ceramic coating or I use the 303 Graphene. When I wash mine I use a foam cannon and the brake dust and junk cleans right off with no effort.

Edit: When I do use a wheel cleaner I use the Trinova which is made by 303 & Gold Eagle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ptionId=&linkCode=as2&tag=bestprodtagb6516-20

Wheel-Cleaner.png

Last edited:

SalukiRanger

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SCrew 4x2 Lariat Ingot Silver Ebony 18 Tires Technology Pkg
Occupation
Retired
Dawn Powerwash about $5 or so.

SURanger

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I dilute super clean from Walmart and put it in a spray bottle. Great stuff like it more than purple power. Use that with a brush agitate and rinse off.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
I am a big fan of Griot's Wheel Cleaner.

Not so much on the sonax, had it stain a spot on one of my focus st wheels where the finish was chipped. It also wasn't so great at cleaning the wheels if it hasn't been done in awhile.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I know you guys n gals are going to think this is crazy....
Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Spray Foam...
I've used this stuff for years on our motor home to soften up bug gut's to where they just brush off with a bit of automotive soap and water. And dried bug gut's is one of the worst to remove !!! Used it also to remove the same from front of all our vehicles. And, it works great on wheels...I've used it on steel, chrome, alloy without any harm.
Think about all the different finishes in a bathroom, glass, rubber, tile, slate, granite, different fixture finishes, paint, and it's not harmful to any of it.
Best to spray it on a cool (in shade) dry surface, let it foam up / work for a few minutes, and brush it for a few seconds, and rinse it off.
Best of all, it's only a few bucks a can.

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
If you guys are detailing your trucks and ceramic coating them, take the time to clean your wheels thoroughly, you may have to remove them and ceramic coat them as well.

You won’t need any wheels cleaner afterwards. I use Carpro Reset, foam my wheels and wash them, afterwards foam the truck and wash. 1 product. I also put the remaining liquid/soap in the foam gun back into the wash bucket.

if your wheels aren’t coated I love Adams Rubber and Tire cleaner for the tires and Chemical guys Diablo gel diluted for the wheels.

But cheapest. I personally like Super Clean. You can buy it locally at auto parts stores so that’s a plus. I use it as a degreaser on almost everything. It’s used a lot in the detail world too. Just go to YouTube, theirs a few detailers showing all the uses.. That would be my choice.

Last edited:

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I think wheel specific cleaners are a racket.

If you regularly wash them, then the same stuff you use on your car, along with a good wheel brush works fine.

I've never run into a situation where I needed "formulated to clean wheels!" cleaners.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.

If you regularly wash them, then the same stuff you use on your car, along with a good wheel brush works fine.

I've never run into a situation where I needed "formulated to clean wheels!" cleaners.
Yes, admittedly true 95% of the time. But there are times when a mild cleaner, a bit stronger than automotive soap, will help...road grease and light tar, or a heavy build up of brake dust if you haven't been able to wash for several weeks.
I've never used Simple Green or Purple Power as I remember them from years ago when they were caustic...I know their formulas have changed, but old habits are hard to break.
The Bubbles gets into all the nooks n crannies, especially the lug nut recess's, and just makes it easier to clean.

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I used meguiar’s all purpose cleaner for years on wheels, wells and tires.

I recently transitioned to using soap and found it did a great job with weekly washing. Furthermore if you ceramic coat your wheels it’ll be even easier with soap.

I just find it helps streamline my process overall and speeds up the time it takes to do so. Maybe keep a heavier wheel cleaner on hand for when you neglect the washing or for after winter etc.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering

I can agree with you to a point. The tires from 5 years ago yes. Anything after that has had the formulas changed and they get brown color fast. That is a pain in the butt to get off easily and keep off!

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I can agree with you to a point. The tires from 5 years ago yes. Anything after that has had the formulas changed and they get brown color fast. That is a pain in the butt to get off easily and keep off!
Im talking about wheels, not tires.
Sponsored