Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
SSM 49012 - 2020 Ranger - Transmission Selector Lever Backlighting Deleted - Built On And After 11-Jul-2020

2020 Ranger vehicles built on and after 11-Jul-2020 no longer have backlighting for the PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, DRIVE, and SPORT (PRNDS) indicators on the transmission selector lever. This is an operating characteristic of the vehicle and no repairs should be attempted for this condition. Do not submit a warranty claim for this condition.
When Ford has to publish a warning like this, it is my opinion that the Material Cost Reduction people screwed up. MCR actions were at one time not visible to the customer. An example was when we gave away spare fuses for the electrical system...since they were behind a panel on the dash, not in the customer view this made sense to the MCR folks as most owners had no clue how to change out a fuse anyway.... I could actually buy into that deletion...Tie downs and now shift selector illumination is pushing it too far in my opinion.

Best,
Phil
Sponsored

taildraggerpilot

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2022 MINI JCW Hardtop
Occupation
Boeing Driver
SSM 49012 - 2020 Ranger - Transmission Selector Lever Backlighting Deleted - Built On And After 11-Jul-2020

2020 Ranger vehicles built on and after 11-Jul-2020 no longer have backlighting for the PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, DRIVE, and SPORT (PRNDS) indicators on the transmission selector lever. This is an operating characteristic of the vehicle and no repairs should be attempted for this condition. Do not submit a warranty claim for this condition.
I missed it by 8 days

Yaegerbomb89

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Occupation
Software
I’ve only had my truck for a week or so and I noticed it at night. I had to look to make sure it wasn’t broke. It’s one of those things where it’s not really needed, but even the cheapest cars have it. There’s a few little things that could’ve went a long way when added up. Kinda wish they would’ve put a light to match the ambient lighting in the cup holders too.

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
If Ford put half as much effort into this generation of the Ranger as they do the F-150 it would blow every other competitor out of the water by a long shot. Instead they're playing "how much stuff can we delete before the normies realize it?"

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
It's almost weird knowing how the replies are going to turn out exactly before opening the thread. Not in a bad way, just miss coming here every filthy minute I get. Happy holidays all.

Soon light up indicators will be a "new safety feature" on the lariat models :LOL:

BrassSlinger

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue Tremor Lariat,2017 Honda Civic
Occupation
Technician
First thing i noticed test driving a 21 Lariat. Ford is cheaping out on this

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
It's almost weird knowing how the replies are going to turn out exactly before opening the thread. Not in a bad way, just miss coming here every filthy minute I get. Happy holidays all.

Soon light up indicators will be a "new safety feature" on the lariat models :LOL:
Miss seeing you on here @dondonbabyraptor! Hope all is going well with school and that you had a wonderful Christmas! :) ?

MJL88

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Going back to my first new car purchase, 1964 Ford Falcon Sprint, I cannot recall ever buying a new vehicle that did not come with some type of pouch/cover, ect to hold the owners manual's and associated info.
As far as the part # Ford has used that # for a # of years, so I think it is for the pouch itself, not the manual packet. You can even enter that # on Amazon and it comes up as a "Portfolio Pouch"
My 2021 manual came in a pouch thing. ??‍♂

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
That's what I figured, my daughter could not believe there isn't a light on the visor mirror. I guess that didn't bug me ???
You have a visor mirror?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My 2021 manual came in a pouch thing. ??‍♂
My Ranger manual is in a ballistic nylon type of pouch.

IMG_1186.jpeg

My 2004 Grand Cherokee manual is in a very nice tri-fold leather pouch.

IMG_1188.jpeg

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
My Ranger manual is in a ballistic nylon type of pouch.

IMG_1186.jpeg

My 2004 Grand Cherokee manual is in a very nice tri-fold leather pouch.

IMG_1188.jpeg
I'm jealous.
My 2021 came without pouch thingy.
I need to find one.