Carrying Extra Gas

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Doesn't everyone carry their gas behind the front seats? That's how my 1970 C10 came from the factory, gas can behind the seat. LOL
I’ve had several. They moved that tank out of the cab in 1973. No more fumes in the cab!
Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Doesn't everyone carry their gas behind the front seats? That's how my 1970 C10 came from the factory, gas can behind the seat. LOL
My old '71 Ford was the same way! Gas behind the seat!?!

Gsxrdoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy
Man those were the good all days where if you got in a wreck you had to worry about gas being sprayed over you along with an unmovable steering wheel implanted in your chest.

erty176

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Designer
Rotopax mounted via builtright panel, or via putco front panel. Don't have the panels yet so can't take pictures, but I'm sure a few others have the same.

https://www.builtrightind.com/colle...-rack-system-4pc-kit-ford-ranger-5ft-bed-2019 (can buy just one panel of you want one can, but note you can't use the front without the back, but you can use the back without the front)

https://realtruck.com/p/putco-truck...V4YYNlYJLluFL5GQDpPES4OB2Q6dDTPhoCuDgQAvD_BwE
(Can buy from a bunch of different vendors, for your needs I would only buy the front panel that runs across the bulkhead)

https://www.motosport.com/product/?...rce=google&variant[ROT000C]=ROT000C-X001-Y001
(Again, bunch of different vendors for these, I recommend not going any bigger than the 2.5 gallon size if using a tonneu cover)

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Going to leave the gas in the bed with the camper shell windows cracked open to avoid slight fume leakage.

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
In reference to our upcoming travel trailer purchase, and the expected 10 mpg many of you have posted about while towing, do any of you carry an extra container of gas with you ?
We do a lot of our traveling on secondary roads and US tagged roadways, and in our motor home with a 55 gallon tank, haven't had any problems finding fuel. But with the Ranger's 180-200 mile range while towing, I'm thinking ahead.
What about you members that boondock and overland...do you carry an extra 5 gallons with you ? And, if you do, what type of really good container do you use. Obviously, would be kept in the bed.
Would only carry when on the road...not for everyday around town use.
I pull a 1500 pound overland trailer with 2 very sturdy 5 gallon gas tanks on the tongue. I strap them down with crossed 3" straps. They are not going any where.
1634800724784.png
Comes in VERY handy when in the wild away from a gas station. The spout goes right into the capless gas cap. I only use the little ford funnel for the last 1/2 gallon of fuel. I get about 15 mpg if I drive 55mph, closer to 10mpg @ 75mph. The trailer rides in the slip stream of the truck with a just over cab height Commercial cap on the bed. I empty the containers into the tuck after every trip, then leave them open to dry out, so no worry about "old gas" or fuel stabilizers.

Last edited:

Hethern

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red Ranger
Occupation
Communications Technician aka (Phone Man)
Vehicle Showcase

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
These are the only ones I've ever carried for extra fuel. We used to dirt bike and snowmobile in very remote areas and have never had any problems in years of caring VP jugs.

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Fu...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E5Y42GVCE0XXGPMJZD57

VP Racing Jug.jpg
Don't run these as your carrying cans. Most of them are not DOT approved and can lead to some trouble if you get caught with them. (The description even tells you that, Amazon won't even ship them to CA.)
1635351357376.png

I've been looking for a solution that helps with pouring and is still DOT/CARB certified and settled on this. I was going to use it last weekend at Mojave but the trip got cancelled. It's a little expensive, but that ease of dispensing is worth it IMO.

https://vpracingfuels.com/product/vp-surecan/?c=237&

1635351233926.png

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Don't run these as your carrying cans. Most of them are not DOT approved and can lead to some trouble if you get caught with them. (The description even tells you that, Amazon won't even ship them to CA.)
1635351357376.png

I've been looking for a solution that helps with pouring and is still DOT/CARB certified and settled on this. I was going to use it last weekend at Mojave but the trip got cancelled. It's a little expensive, but that ease of dispensing is worth it IMO.

1635351233926.png
Not an issue for the vast majority of us.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
1635351357376.png

1635351233926.png
I've used them (along with all my riding friends) for 25+ years and have never had any problems. Traveled from MA to ME and Canada with them too.

No offense but just about everything is NON compliant in CA.

Last edited:

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I've used them (along with all my riding friends) for 25+ years and have never had any problems. Traveled from MA to MA and Canada with them too.

No offense but just about everything is NON compliant in CA.
These are also non-compliant for DOT either - to each their own, but everyone should be properly aware of the risks involved with not using DOT approved containers.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
These are also non-compliant for DOT either - to each their own, but everyone should be properly aware of the risks involved with not using DOT approved containers.
I'm not arguing with you but the whole race circuit uses these and they travel around the country with these for years now. Go to any MX race and these are all you'll see in the pits. I know some of the larger race teams carry their race fuel in large drums and pump them into these at the track but the smaller teams don't.
Sponsored