CARBONIZED GRAY Ranger Club Thread

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I ordered a 2021 in carbonized gray based on the paint scheme that Ford was and still is showing on their website for this new color. Since I placed the order (still waiting...ordered first week in January), I've been seeing real world pictures of these, including some on actual Ford dealers' websites. In my opinion, it's nothing like the color Ford is selling it as. So many photos I've seen make it look like a very light gray borderline silver.

I've been told by my dealership that delivery is imminent, and if it looks like the color that I'm seeing in most of the real world photos, I guess I'll be fighting to get my $1k deposit back.

That said, @Samsquanch your photos show a darker color, and while still lighter than Ford advertises (plus it's taken at night), I would be happy with that look. Do you mind posting some daytime pictures? If you can, thank you!

Is there anyone here who has taken delivery of this color and been surprised? I would love to hear any input on this color.
Much like the Cactus Grey, the Carbonized Gray changes color depending on the lighting. Looks dark in the shade, much lighter in the sun. IMHO, it looks fantastic in either and even more so with the magnetic sport trim or black package.

Check out this pic and you can see the difference in the shade of the house vs. out in the sunlight. Also the wheel arches/bumpers/wheels are Magnetic and only ever so slightly darker than the truck.
20210404_141753.jpg
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Just starting as I was yet to see a club for this color. Have a carbonized gray Tremor on order, arriving in mid April. Love how the silver metallic in the paint makes the color change significantly with light. Goes from a medium dark gray to a silvery gray.

vehicle.png
How is it different from Magnetic?

creolechowder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat (incoming); 2019 Mustang GT350
Thanks @CO2Ranger for the reply. That's a fantastic photo and explanation. I now at least know what I'm getting into. Maybe I'll wait to pick it up in the evening?? ; ) Thanks again for info.

OP
OP
Bt_ostate

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
I ordered a 2021 in carbonized gray based on the paint scheme that Ford was and still is showing on their website for this new color. Since I placed the order (still waiting...ordered first week in January), I've been seeing real world pictures of these, including some on actual Ford dealers' websites. In my opinion, it's nothing like the color Ford is selling it as. So many photos I've seen make it look like a very light gray borderline silver.

I've been told by my dealership that delivery is imminent, and if it looks like the color that I'm seeing in most of the real world photos, I guess I'll be fighting to get my $1k deposit back.

That said, @Samsquanch your photos show a darker color, and while still lighter than Ford advertises (plus it's taken at night), I would be happy with that look. Do you mind posting some daytime pictures? If you can, thank you!

Is there anyone here who has taken delivery of this color and been surprised? I would love to hear any input. I've added two photos. The top one is from Ford's website. The bottom is a real photo.

2.JPG

3.JPG
It is lighter than magnetic and it changes in the light due to the silver metallic flicks in it. Darker in low light, lighter more silvery gray in more light. Lots of depth to the color. Almost looks wer when clean and in the sun.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I was a bit skeptical of the color when I first saw it on the website, which is a rendering, but seeing an Explorer and an F-150 in Carbonized Grey, and a Bronco Sport in Cactus Grey at the dealer, I decided on the Carbo. The Cactus was fine on the BSport, but I thought It might be too much light color on an XL Ranger for my taste. The Carbo isn't a chameleon paint, but it does contrast depending on the light- similar to how Rapid Red can appear different in different lighting. @CO2Ranger's photo in post 31 nailed the effect.
I ordered mine on February 1st and it was built this past week according to Ford's rather vague order tracker. There was a link to the window sticker and it looked correct, so now It's just waiting for a train, I guess.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT

Is there anyone here who has taken delivery of this color and been surprised? I would love to hear any input. I've added two photos. The top one is from Ford's website. The bottom is a real photo.

2.JPG

3.JPG
Ask and you shall receive. It’s worth noting that renders are never a safe bet for picking out a truck color. Have to see for yourself or at minimum look at real photos. Carbonized Grey is very much grey and doesn’t look silver at all.

Here it is in very bright direct sun with fresh wax.

56AC8A13-9707-4CD2-9961-DE4FE91112A1.jpeg

Last edited:

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Ask and you shall receive. It’s worth noting that renders are never a safe bet for picking out a truck color. Have to see for yourself or at minimum look at real photos. Carbonized Grey is very much grey and doesn’t look silver at all.

Here it is in very bright direct sun with fresh wax.

56AC8A13-9707-4CD2-9961-DE4FE91112A1.jpeg
Beautiful. I also have the BAP. The black accents and wheels really go well with the carbon gray.

daddy let me drive

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 jeep TJ wrangler, 2021 ford ranger FX4 sCrew
Occupation
retired
just got mine couple weeks ago. had 50 miles on it when I committed to it. after all sales steps were completed, I had to immediately get on I-75 Valdosta, Ga. and drive it 240 miles to Orlando. But all went well with that trip, no road debris, etc.

Waiting on a chance to find a better place to take some show off pictures.

I too thought it would be darker generally. But still would be my choice of color among the options.

ranger 1.jpg

OP
OP
Bt_ostate

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
Mine was supposed to be here today but didn't show. Tracking site now says 2 more days!, but who knows. Between the delays on the Broncos and not being able to get me my Ranger on time, not very impressed with Ford right now.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Mine was supposed to be here today but didn't show. Tracking site now says 2 more days!, but who knows. Between the delays on the Broncos and not being able to get me my Ranger on time, not very impressed with Ford right now.
Its really all in-demand vehicles at the moment. I’m sure it’s frustrating but I don’t know how much Ford has to do with it. They are literally parking F-150s at the factory with no electronics in them due to chip shortages.

OP
OP
Bt_ostate

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
Its really all in-demand vehicles at the moment. I’m sure it’s frustrating but I don’t know how much Ford has to do with it. They are literally parking F-150s at the factory with no electronics in them due to chip shortages.
It's been built they just can't get it here timely. And the bronco launch has been a complete and utter disaster. I'll see if I ever get my FE.

Poky

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
It's been built they just can't get it here timely. And the bronco launch has been a complete and utter disaster. I'll see if I ever get my FE.
Mine has been built and is supposed to be delivered next Tuesday. It’s anybody’s guess if it shows up.
Sponsored