Built Ford Tough (rear ended)

Junior Blue

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightening Blue Ranger Lariat Crew
Get one with both front and rear cameras, they are really getting cheap . Wish I would have had a rear camera for this event. It will be my next purchase.
You Guys arn't to old. I graduated high school in 1967. A few years before you !!! Give me the 4 Seasons, Beach Boys, Jan & Dean etc. etc.
Sponsored

Arch Stanton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4x4 Ingot Silver 301A
Occupation
V.P. of Research and Development; Telemetry and Guidance Testing Facility at Aerodytech Corporation, Reno, Nevada
You Guys arn't to old. I graduated high school in 1967. A few years before you !!! Give me the 4 Seasons, Beach Boys, Jan & Dean etc. etc.
C'mon Pete!! The Association and Del Shannon too!!

Junior Blue

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightening Blue Ranger Lariat Crew
C'mon Pete!! The Association and Del Shannon too!!
Yes Sir!! The Temptations 4 Tops Supremes (go back a little further ) come up with Dion & The Belmonts Brooklyn Bridge.
I guess I'm getting a little off track.
Have a good night!!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
... Tom Petty
Hi DBR,

Here is a back story with me and ZZ Top. Ford Marketing was sponsoring the bands tour and they were slated for two night performances at the Joe Lewis Arena. My secretary, Carol, got a call about quitting time from someone in Marketing...Carol came into to my office and asked if I wanted to take the call...Something about RangerZilla. I picked up the phone and this lady from Ford Marketing asked me for help as RangerZilla had been damaged while loading into its transporter in Chicago...Ford Marketing wanted the Ranger on display for the two nights and the first night was the next evening.... Why me? Well, they said you could get almost anything done was the answer...Okay, lets see if we can get this done. The Ford Marketing lady told me the transporter was on its way to the Engineering Center and asked for directions to park the transporter. I told her to head to PDC, the Product Development Center. First thing I did was call Livernoise Vehicle and asked if they were game for an all nighter...Show up at PDC with a two car trailer asap. I then had Bill C. my vehicle coordinator round up a Ranger 4x4 of the same flavor as RangerZilla, after learning it was front end damage...I had no idea of how bad the damage was and was hoping a part change would fix it but if paint was involved...probably not going to work. Phone rang again and was told the transporter was on Ford property, so headed downstairs and out into the parking lot...I spotted the transporter and waved it down...explained to the driver where to park. Driver was named Ted LeDane. Livernoise had already shown up and had the Ford Ranger loaded onto the trailer. Ted dropped the tailgate to the transporter and then raised it to the top level...I climbed up and RangerZilla was at the back, right behind HogZilla and I could see CadZilla ahead of HogZilla... Checked the damage on RangerZilla and breathed a sigh of relief as it was all replaceable by the Ford Ranger on the trailer...easy parts swap...mostly a broken fog light an crinkled facia...no painting required. Climbed down as Ted pushed RangerZilla onto the platform and lowered it to the ground. We then pushed it up onto the Livernoise Trailer and I noticed a black limo show up. Out pops Billy Gibbons, one of the ZZTop guitarists...full beard and all. Billy walks up to Ted and me and looks me straight in the eyes and asks if I can get it fixed. I told him we had it handled. Be done tonight and on display tomorrow at the Joe. He shook my hand and asked me if I was hungry Umm well Umm, kind of thirsty:wink:, Billy said, "where to man?" I suggested the Dearborn Inn and so led the limo to the Dearborn Inn and Billy and I shared a couple beers:beer::beer:. Kinda cool to have a one on one with a Star. Billy was going to stay for dinner, but I had to head to Livernoise and check on RangerZilla and then home.

Next day, we delivered the repaired RangerZilla to the Joe for display. I was happy to be able to help and to have time with Billy. About two weeks later, I got a package at work...a ZZTop Tee shirt....Still have it today... Interesting memory....

ZZtop.jpg

ZZillaToursPan.jpg

Edited to add long lost post card from Ted...driver of BigZZilla

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Last edited:

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Dating ourselves...Sounds like we're all in the old fart club...I graduated high school 1976:)
I was a bi-centennial high school grad also. There are a lot of old guys here but a good mixture of young guys too. This is a fun forum.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I was a bi-centennial high school grad also. There are a lot of old guys here but a good mixture of young guys too. This is a fun forum.
That explains why "Mitt Romney for President" thread hasn't been locked down..yet:crackup:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi DBR,

Here is a back story with me and ZZ Top. Ford Marketing was sponsoring the bands tour and they were slated for two night performances at the Joe Lewis Arena. My secretary, Carol, got a call about quitting time from someone in Marketing...Carol came into to my office and asked if I wanted to take the call...Something about RangerZilla. I picked up the phone and this lady from Ford Marketing asked me for help as RangerZilla had been damaged while loading into its transporter in Chicago...Ford Marketing wanted the Ranger on display for the two nights and the first night was the next evening.... Why me? Well, they said you could get almost anything done was the answer...Okay, lets see if we can get this done. The Ford Marketing lady told me the transporter was on its way to the Engineering Center and asked for directions to park the transporter. I told her to head to PDC, the Product Development Center. First thing I did was call Livernoise Vehicle and asked if they were game for an all nighter...Show up at PDC with a two car trailer asap. I then had Bill C. my vehicle coordinator round up a Ranger 4x4 of the same flavor as RangerZilla, after learning it was front end damage...I had no idea of how bad the damage was and was hoping a part change would fix it but if paint was involved...probably not going to work. Phone rang again and was told the transporter was on Ford property, so headed downstairs and out into the parking lot...I spotted the transporter and waved it down...explained to the driver where to park. Driver was named Ted LeDane. Livernoise had already shown up and had the Ford Ranger loaded onto the trailer. Ted dropped the tailgate to the transporter and then raised it to the top level...I climbed up and RangerZilla was at the back, right behind HogZilla and I could see CadZilla ahead of HogZilla... Checked the damage on RangerZilla and breathed a sigh of relief as it was all replaceable by the Ford Ranger on the trailer...easy parts swap...mostly a broken fog light an crinkled facia...no painting required. Climbed down as Ted pushed RangerZilla onto the platform and lowered it to the ground. We then pushed it up onto the Livernoise Trailer and I noticed a black limo show up. Out pops Billy Gibbons, one of the ZZTop guitarists...full beard and all. Billy walks up to Ted and me and looks me straight in the eyes and asks if I can get it fixed. I told him we had it handled. Be done tonight and on display tomorrow at the Joe. He shook my hand and asked me if I was hungry Umm well Umm, kind of thirsty:wink:, Billy said, "where to man?" I suggested the Dearborn Inn and so led the limo to the Dearborn Inn and Billy and I shared a couple beers:beer::beer:. Kinda cool to have a one on one with a Star. Billy was going to stay for dinner, but I had to head to Livernoise and check on RangerZilla and then home.

Next day, we delivered the repaired RangerZilla to the Joe for display. I was happy to be able to help and to have time with Billy. About two weeks later, I got a package at work...a ZZTop Tee shirt....Still have it today... Interesting memory....

ZZtop.jpg

Best,
Phil Schike
Ford Motor Co. Retired
That is an AWESOME story, Phil!

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey that's a pretty legit idea, and a nice step up too. I kinda want one now.
I bought it not for the step but as a bumper extension:like:

Fjsteven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Sport
Hi DBR,

ZZtop.jpg

Best,
Phil Schike
Ford Motor Co. Retired

dude. Is there anything you haven’t done?

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
Hi DBR,

ZZtop.jpg

Best,
Phil Schike
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, thank you so much for sharing this and everything else you have. I still think you need to write a book or get an Amazon movie deal. I feel like my wife and I bought a Ranger and an epic autobiography since joining here. I’m serious, thank you so much for sharing!!!!

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
My youngest brother ( I have 4) graduated in 76. I graduated in 83 ( I am the baby of the family) so my music "age" is much older. My oldest brother is 24yrs older than I. So that can give you a hint of my musical taste range.
Sponsored