Rusty

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger & 2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Wife was rear ended Thursday night car that hit her was going 45-50mph. The frame of the truck is bent where the receiver hitch mounts.

Any familiar with a total for frame bent? Bent on both sides about half an inch.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
good grief a 50 mph hit is brutal. wife ok i hope?
im no expert but have been around collision repair and frame machines. my guess it can be repaired by a decent shop with the correct stuff but more damage could pop up as the work goes. a hit that hard can shift alignment of wheels and axles, drive shaft, sheer off bolts and so on. the insurance company may find it more appealing to say its totaled and then part it out for profit and give you a check.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
If it gets totalled, would the insurance payout reflect the true current market value?

OP
OP

Rusty

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wasn't sure if it could. Glad there is hope we don't have to worry about a total.

Thank you

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If it gets totalled, would the insurance payout reflect the true current market value?
It should but sometimes it's up to the insurance you have. On all my vehicles and my house I always add full replacement value at time of loss. This way it reflects the current market value and not a pro rated one.

OP I hope your wife is ok and there were no injuries. I'm pretty sure the rear is replaceable and even if it's not as long as it wasn't bent to bad they have great frame straightening machines now. Good luck!

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Check with your agent to see if you have a rider for that. The TV ads make it sound like free new truck but the reality may be different.

The big print giveth, the small print taketh away.

jcru1017

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX2
Occupation
Student, Legal
I’ve worked at a personal injury law firm for the last 8 years. I don’t know what state your in but I believe they give the market value as of the time of the incident.

Ideally you don’t want to straighten out the frame and continue to drive it. It’s like crumpling a beer can and then straightening it back out. If you get into an accident again, god forbid, it will crumple up worse and could result in bigger injury.

My advice (although I am not a lawyer) or what I would do, is to try and get a total loss and get a new truck. Also seek a lawyer.

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
If the truck is repaired then make sure you get a check from the other party that caused the accident for loss of value on your truck for having a branded title.

OP
OP

Rusty

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
First the wife and daughter are both good. Went to the ER after they got home and had them checked out. Both are good. Wife saw her coming and let off the brake just before she hit them. Traffic was stopped ahead of my wife and the lady was not paying any attention. Truck being able to roll forward helped absorb the energy.

I have some photos of the bumper, tail gate and bed. I will get some of the frame. It is bent on both sides right where the receiver hitch mounts to the frame. If the rear section is replaceable, we will be ok with the repair. Do not want to buy anything else right now, interest rates are climbing even with 800+ credit. If we did anything we would want to wait for the Raptor so we would much rather repair the truck.

Truck only has 25k miles and was still in like new condition.

I will post up some photos later tonight of the damage. Thanks to everyone.

btsmith52

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger, 2016 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
This happened to my 2005 F150 a few years ago. It was shockingly easy to fix the bent frame in the back, and fix it right. It's an easier repair for most body shops than about everything else. They'll probably replace the bumper and hitch assembly. Straighten the rest out . . . . .. Check their work when they are done . . . . you can get up under it and see the work! I think my repair was under $3000. Ranger parts probably cost a little more. I can't imagine what the other car looked like. . . .

OP
OP

Rusty

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I will get some photos of the frame on both sides tonight.

Her airbags did not deploy hit squarely on the receiver hitch of the truck. She stated the last time she looked she was traveling 45-50mph and did not hit the brakes before she hit the truck. Said that the sun she did not see anyone stopped.

20220617_063156.jpg

20220617_063210.jpg

20220617_063249.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I will get some photos of the frame on both sides tonight.

Her airbags did not deploy hit squarely on the receiver hitch of the truck. She stated the last time she looked she was traveling 45-50mph and did not hit the brakes before she hit the truck. Said that the sun she did not see anyone stopped.

20220617_063156.jpg

20220617_063210.jpg

20220617_063249.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg
Nice garage.