Ranger Rear Ended :(

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Well I guess it was my turn today. At a full stop and had a GMC Terrain run into the back of me. No screeching brakes, never saw her coming.

Driver taillight, bed, tailgate, bumper. Looks like the entire bed shifted, as there is a larger gap on the passenger side now in between the cab and bed. Bed didn't hit the cab though.

I'm also pretty sore myself. The GMC was much worce, entire front was a taco.

20191024_180544.jpg
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well I guess it was my turn today. At a full stop and had a GMC Terrain run into the back of me. No screeching brakes, never saw her coming.

Driver taillight, bed, tailgate, bumper. Looks like the entire bed shifted, as there is a larger gap on the passenger side now in between the cab and bed. Bed didn't hit the cab though.

20191024_180544.jpg
Hi Stic-O...

So sorry to hear of this unfortunate accident. hope you can get it repaired ASAP.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Bummer :frown:, but that's what insurance is for....hope the other driver has it.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Sorry to hear it! I hope you can get it fixed up quickly... it does show how solid these trucks are though!

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
One of my pet peeves is distracted driving, how does someone not see you stopped ahead, not knowing the circumstances, I will bet a cell phone was involved. Make sure the insurance companies know you are hurt, they are less willing to pay when there are no injuries. Hope you are truly ok but you should definitely get a doctors opinion.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Hope you are feeling better (soreness).

I'd love to see the number of rear-end accidents on a chart from before and after smartphones were invented.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Glad you're ok,vehicle can be replaced. With that said people now a days just don't seem to pay attention while driving. I was somewhat concerned about these trucks the first time I washed it,the body panels seem very thin. After seeing a few get hit I'm more surprised how well they're designed safe they are. I just hope the other driver was insured and you get your truck back soon!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Bummer.. that sucks. I guess on the positive side, you can still drive / use the truck. Keep us in the loop as things progress.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

20191024_180544.jpg
Wow...that's bad news...sorry for your bad luck...don't if this'll help the next time but this is what I stuck on my hitch as soon as could to protect her butt...probably wouldn't have helped much since it looks like you got hit at an angle...
pBdd4tJ.jpg

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I was somewhat concerned about these trucks the first time I washed it,the body panels seem very thin. After seeing a few get hit I'm more surprised how well they're designed safe they are
They trade off panel thickness for reinforcement in other areas to keep the weight down. I'd much rather be in a crash inside one of these than an old fashioned "built like a tank" deathtrap.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I'm just sick to see this. Try and have the police access her phone records for your protection. Hope you get it repaired to your satisfaction.

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I'm just sick to see this. Try and have the police access her phone records for your protection. Hope you get it repaired to your satisfaction.
It doesn't work like that, especially on a non-injury MVA. You have to have a warrant to access records and you have to have, more likely than not, an MVA with great bodily harm or death to get said warrant. MVAs are not a big deal, it's just a report that records the events; contrary to popular belief the reports do not place fault on either party explicitly.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
It doesn't work like that, especially on a non-injury MVA. You have to have a warrant to access records and you have to have, more likely than not, an MVA with great bodily harm or death to get said warrant. MVAs are not a big deal, it's just a report that records the events; contrary to popular belief the reports do not place fault on either party explicitly.
Unfortunately, that's the reality these days. 2 years ago, I got rear-ended by a couple of meth heads who then took off. A few minutes later, I found where they parked a few blocks away and fled into an apartment building. Police arrived. I was expecting a perp-walk, but the officer walks out and tells me they were ticketed for an expired license, no insurance, and leaving the scene. Unless there's a death or injury, nothing happens. The lesson here is that if you're judgement proof (don't have a money, property, or a above-the-table job) then it's actually in your interest to run from an accident. You've got a better than 50/50 chance of getting away, and even if you don't, the consequences are no worse than if you were had not run.