Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
UPDATE:

Picked up the truck, they replaced the hose & wheel, balanced, cleaned, greased, all good.

We asked about pre-inspection & they claim it was done, I can't prove it was not. They can claim
we took the wheel off & damaged it, but can't prove that either.

So we decided to pick our battles & this one was too grey.

Bottom line, no material damage, no personal injuries, no accident.
They fixed everything under warranty.

My assumption is, I'll be going there for the next 5 yrs for normal maintenance & the truck will last 200k miles with normal issues.

UNLESS!!!! They come out with the PHEV Ranger, then I think I'll trade, depending on specs.
By far most miles driven, 80/90%, is under 30 miles a day, so this would be a great option.

They lent us an Escape SE AWD, I don't like SUVs, wife was not crazy about it, consumed a lot of gas, seat were not comfortable for neither of us. We both love the Ranger seats.

Have a pleasant weekend.
Glad you had a good outcome!
Sponsored

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
CB750F,

I am glad that you got everything fixed and you have your truck back.

And from personal experience the dual-brake master cylinder, with separate circuits is not fool proof. The system definitely did not work like it should have on my wife's 2001 Chevy Cavalier, yes I know a Chevy. One of the lines to the rear brakes rusted out right at the firewall (underneath the vehicle) and I had zero brake pressure. I would not have gotten the vehicle stopped without the parking/emergency brake. I was just glad that I was driving and was in town at 25Mph.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Glad you got it fixed, and it seems odd that this happened in the first place. In all the vehicles I have owned and/or worked on, I do not recall any with a hydraulic brake hose long enough to reach the wheel/tire, even with the attachment hardware removed. Hopefully Ford spots and corrects this potential liability before someone gets injured or killed.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you got it fixed, and it seems odd that this happened in the first place. In all the vehicles I have owned and/or worked on, I do not recall any with a hydraulic brake hose long enough to reach the wheel/tire, even with the attachment hardware removed. Hopefully Ford spots and corrects this potential liability before someone gets injured or killed.
Hi Andrew,

Each new model where there are spindle or wheel tire etc changes, the Vehicle Dynamics area does a very involved jounce study where any brake hose to tire/wheel would have been flagged. I believe the dealer indicated that the bracket was bent. How this happened is not yet determined and maybe never will be determined. The jounce study requires the vehicle be chained to the ground on the hoist via huge bull rings and cables. The hoist is then used to cycle each side through droop to full jounce with the jounce bumpers removed...then one wheel is in droop while the other is in full metal to metal jounce and then the sides are reversed. At each point the wheels are cycled lock to lock. It is a time consuming process but critical to catch issues and or verify things are okay per the design requirements. Change spindle, wheel offset etc...you are in uncharted territory that a mere static visual will likely not show any problem that occurs dynamically.

Root cause in this case is how did the bracket get bent.... I choose to not speculate as I have not seen the pieces. It has been postulated that it is shipping damage....maybe so, but since we have a rail and haulaway test...it would have likely found during this test during the design engineer post test inspections of test vehicles.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored